Singapore Expats

90% of people would never want to come to office fulltime again!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

90% of people would never want to come to office fulltime again!

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:47 pm

https://twitter.com/chris_herd/status/1 ... 2902738944

Back to the office, hybrid or fully remote?

I spoke to 1,000+ companies over the last 6 months to find out more about their plans

This is what I learned

[ a thread ] 💻🏠🌍
🏢 HQ’s are finished: companies will cut their commercial office space by 50-70%

The will allow every worker to work from home 2-4 days a week, and come into the office 1-2 days a week
🌍 Fully distributed: ~30% of the companies we talk to are getting rid of the office entirely and going remote-first

Companies doing this have seen their workers decentralize rapidly, leaving expensive cities to be closer to family
⭐ Access talent: The first reason they are going remote-first is simple – it lets them hire more talented people

Rather than hiring the best person in a 30-mile radius of the office, they can hire the best person in the world for every role
💰 Cut costs: The second reason they are going remote-first is because it lets them be far more cost-efficient

Rather than spending $20,000 / worker / year on office space they can provide the best remote setup on the planet for $2,000 / worker / year
📈 Remote burnout: The productivity inside the companies we’ve spoken to has gone through the roof

Their biggest concern is that workers burnout because they are working too hard

They are actively exploring ways to combat this
✈️ Remote onsites: 60%+ of companies we talk to are already thinking about ways to use time together physically to improve culture

The most popular we hear is flying the team into remote locations for ~week. Portugal, Spain, Puerto Rico seem to be the most popular
💃 Personal choice: the smartest people I know personally are all planning to work remotely this decade

The most exciting companies I know personally all plan to hire remotely this decade

~90% of the workforces we’ve spoken to never want to be in an office again full-time
🚨 Async by default: is the thing that organizations are struggling with most

The majority of companies have replicated the office remotely and it is causing strains that are beginning to show
🤕 Personal injury: These are exploding. Companies haven’t moved quickly enough to prevent them and back, neck and repetitive strain injuries are becoming a huge problem

Expect this to remedy this quickly by providing better, ergonomic equipment to workers
🌐 Universal problems: doesn’t matter the size of the organization, every company is dealing with the same thing

We spoke to early-stage companies, publicly listed tech companies, through to legacy incumbents with hundreds of thousands of employees

All will be more remote
🏭 Pollution reduction: many companies we’ve spoken to care massively about the environmental impact that eradicating the office – and the commute – will have

108 million tons of Co2 less every year
❤️ Quality of life: even more importantly companies are realizing that they don’t need to expect workers to waste 2 hours a day commuting to sit in an office chair for 8 hour

Almost every company we talk to believes that their workers will be happier as a result of remote work
😨 Remote pressure: a few companies we’ve spoken to have decided to be more remote than they initially intended because their competitors already did it

There is a fear inside companies that if they don’t go remote they will lose their best people to their competitors
👻 Remote fear: most companies aren’t scared about the quality of work that will be produced

They are scared about intangible things they can’t measure ‘quality of communication’ && ‘collaboration in person’ && ‘water cooler chat’

Many have realized these were excuses
🚀 Output over time: the measure of performance in the office is how much time you spend sat in your seat

The measure of performance while working remotely has to become output. Tools that enable this to be tracked more accurately are something we are asked for a lot
✍️ Written over spoken: documentation is the unspoken superpower of remote teams. The most successful team members remotely will be great writers

Companies are searching for ways to do this more effectively. Tools that enable others to write better will explode
👨‍💼 Flattened orgs: middle management is in trouble, an unnecessary bottlenecks which serve no tangible purpose inside async organizations

Companies need coaching and facilitators to maximize organizational effectiveness
🎟️ Company Resorts: Several companies are thinking about creating resort like compounds where work happens in person

Expect these to be built in incredible locations and focussed on providing the best on-site experience possible
👩‍⚖️ Remote Laws: Many companies are beginning to operate under the assumption that the choice to work remotely will become a legal right

This will give workers the option to choose where they work, and many companies are acting before they are forced
🛑 Meeting Death: Wasting 2 hours traveling to a meeting will end. The benefits of in-person are eroded by the benefits of not traveling

Conferences and quarterly networking events will become more important for cultivating in-person relationships
🎳 Internal community: Team cohesion and company culture isn’t impossible remotely – but it’s very different

In the same way companies are finally realizing the power of community externally – internal community may become even more important to a companies success

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: 90% of people would never want to come to office fulltime again!

Post by smoulder » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:39 pm

While I enjoyed the initial days of work from home, I found that I have started negating the time saved on not commuting by working ridiculously long hours.

Apart from that, I wonder what is the long term effect of not physically meeting your colleagues face to face. Frankly, we've never had a situation like this so it's an unknown.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:53 pm

smoulder wrote: ↑
Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:39 pm
While I enjoyed the initial days of work from home, I found that I have started negating the time saved on not commuting by working ridiculously long hours.

Apart from that, I wonder what is the long term effect of not physically meeting your colleagues face to face. Frankly, we've never had a situation like this so it's an unknown.
Agree. I loved WFH for the first couple of weeks during CB last year for the added convenience. Now, I have cabin fever and can’t wait to get back in the office. Zoom fatigue is really catching up to me.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 8:55 am

Yep, can't wait to get back to office to meet customers and colleagues.

That 90% from a random Twitter guy is not much of a reliable statement, I'm sure there are people who still find working from home practical.

I recall studies in HBR stating something like 50% for remote, 40% hybrid flexi model, 10% back to office. And economist article how much covid has made women to quit or move to part time arrangements, and thus moved the gender equality at work place clock back some 10-20 years. Not all positive stuff, but if the flexi hybrid model becomes more common and accepted norm that is some positive outcome.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:47 pm

I'm not interested in WFH. I'll RAH (Retire At Home) instead.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:34 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote: ↑
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 8:55 am
And economist article how much covid has made women to quit or move to part time arrangements, and thus moved the gender equality at work place clock back some 10-20 years.
What are the reasons attributed to this?

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:50 pm

Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:34 pm
And economist article how much covid has made women to quit or move to part time arrangements, and thus moved the gender equality at work place clock back some 10-20 years.
Out of my weak memory, it was mostly when schools and kindergarten were closed, someone needed to look after and support the kids. There was more to it I recall but I don't have the article at my hand now, I read the printed version as an old fashioned person.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:35 pm

PNGMK wrote: ↑
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 1:47 pm
I'm not interested in WFH. I'll RAH (Retire At Home) instead.
Hahaha

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:36 pm

Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:50 pm
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 3:34 pm
Out of my weak memory, it was mostly when schools and kindergarten were closed, someone needed to look after and support the kids. There was more to it I recall but I don't have the article at my hand now, I read the printed version as an old fashioned person.
Makes sense, with many childcare centres now at reduced capacity or closed, women (who are usually the primary caregivers) now need to find alternative arrangements for their children.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 7:50 pm

I've been out of the corporate world since March 31st. I work freelance now with my hands fixing big systems. I've no interest at ALL in WFH style roles, particularly sales management or similar; once the offices and biz travel opens up I will re-evaluate but given I am 57 I may time out on that (i.e. I don't think we will be back to normal in the "lost 20's" as I now think of it and I'll be retired by the time normality returns). I've turned down multiple requests to interview etc on for these roles. I can't see the value in sitting in front of a computer trying to sell into a tough market.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:43 pm

PNGMK wrote: ↑
Sun, 13 Jun 2021 7:50 pm
...I don't think we will be back to normal in the "lost 20's" as I now think of it and I'll be retired by the time normality returns
Ouch. A wasted decade is a truly disturbing thought.

In the end, I wonder if the modern world ends up effectively dragging this for much longer time (with far fewer direct fatalities), compared to the shorter 3 year killing mayhem of the spanish flu.

Or maybe global vaccination do end up shortening the whole cycle.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:08 am

Phuck You all high achievers! Where are the EDMW crowd within expats, or am I the only one representing them? In my office, nobody wants to come to office and I am pretty sure, that is the case with most offices in Singapore. Nobody wants to go to office. This forum is full of unique specimens.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:33 am

Wd40 wrote: ↑
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:08 am
Where are the EDMW crowd within expats, or am I the only one representing them?
This statement alone shows WFH is truly harmful.

Get back into the office pronto before your sanity is irrevocably gone.

EDMW?!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:49 am

Lol 😂.

Wd40, I happened to read a couple of threads yesterday over at edmw. The main thread was about some local Indian who was asked some idiotic questions by a cabby because he was with his Singaporean Chinese wife. It immediately went down the crap hole (or the edmw if you will) and transformed into sheekh-ah bashing. There's this guy called ericopprasso or something. Is that you by any chance?

Note that I'm not registered there.... Just killing time while waiting at the covid jab place.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:29 pm

I think there shd be a balance . Occasional WFH or Flexi timing like go to office at 11/12 after meetings is usually the case for me. But to totally not go to Work is detrimental.

How about Home Schooling. Smart people like Elon Musk homeschool their kids. Why not let kids study at home ? I think its cuz despite being lame as a parent or employee, we want kids to be better or different.

Most people in tech would like a balance of WFH and time in office.