Singapore Expats

Job with more than 12000 SGD Salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Raj13

Job with more than 12000 SGD Salary

Post by Raj13 » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:01 am

HI,
I am wondering why it is so difficult to get Job in IT industry with salary more than 12000 SGD....

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Job with more than 12000 SGD Salary

Post by abbby » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:25 pm

a year or a month
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:25 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 06 Jun 2021 12:25 pm
a year or a month
Seriously? Obviously a month, my helper makes more than that a year.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:27 pm

Raj13 wrote:
Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:01 am
HI,
I am wondering why it is so difficult to get Job in IT industry with salary more than 12000 SGD....
It's not really specially difficult, lot of people make more, not fresh from school obviously. Why, do you think there's some other industry were money comes easier?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:35 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Sun, 06 Jun 2021 10:25 pm
abbby wrote:
a year or a month
Seriously? Obviously a month, my helper makes more than that a year.
My thoughts exactly, and in the IT industry no less.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 1:04 am

Raj13, you do realize there is currently a pogrom against Indian nationals at the moment, (CECA- although most here are even connected to it) but as it my, the local population is up in arms and while 12K/mo is out there, it's going to be hard to justify a lot of new imports to command those salaries as more and more spaces are being designated for locals only and they need to be see to be making as much if not more the the hired FT. Otherwise there could be some serious reperussions and the ballot box at the next General Election. The current government is having to tread a fine line at the moment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 4:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 07 Jun 2021 1:04 am
Raj13, you do realize there is currently a pogrom against Indian nationals at the moment, (CECA- although most here are even connected to it) but as it my, the local population is up in arms and while 12K/mo is out there, it's going to be hard to justify a lot of new imports to command those salaries as more and more spaces are being designated for locals only and they need to be see to be making as much if not more the the hired FT. Otherwise there could be some serious reperussions and the ballot box at the next General Election. The current government is having to tread a fine line at the moment.
I think for any job which commands 12k plus as base, companies will hire the best candidate, local or foreigner.

I have worked in both finance as well as tech. Generally I feel tech folks earn well in finance simply due to the nature of industry, not bcus they r better engineers.

Tech companies have two aspects. Some chose to hire global talent n pay global salaries . Most r American firms who value software Dev.

The rest despite being global see Singapore as an option to get folks at local rates and they don’t pay well.

But due to data science and Govt’s foresight as far as IT and tech goes , I see a lot more opportunities in Singapore now than just 4 years back, which is great.

Things r getting better for tech folks in Singapore.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:29 am

To get an IT job that pays SGD12k pm that is not managerial in nature... I’d say that is less common, unless the role is a highly specialized/advanced/senior type position.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Raj13

Post by Raj13 » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:29 am

abbby wrote:
a year or a month
its per month .....

Raj13

Post by Raj13 » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 07 Jun 2021 1:04 am
I agree with most of your points, but in the industry where I work I have seen very few local , I work on ERP solutions and most people are from other countries not only India, they are from Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam but very few local....So I agree on local sentiment but these skills cannot be acquired overnight....

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 11:40 am

The days of the $200 per hour SAP programmer in Singapore are long gone. SAP done in Brazil. Systems testing out of KL. Design and architecture in MNC headquarters in EU, US, AU, UK.

Lesser IT jobs all moving to the Malaysia tech corridor, the Philippines, even Vietnam... cheap and really good programmers.

You better have a very specialized skill or be running a department if you think you'll drag down $12K per month these days.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Jun 2021 4:25 pm

You have to be "where the others aren't". That is in an area that is old and obsolete but needed (Cobol), has specific skills that are to get qualified or trained in (some forms of Automation come to mind) or are undesirable for other factors (fixing control systems in filthy shipyards and offshore as I do now for FAR more than 12k / month). A generic programmer isn't going to make 12k - however a good business analyst with strong salesforce skills might.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Raj13

Post by Raj13 » Tue, 08 Jun 2021 9:25 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 07 Jun 2021 4:25 pm
You have to be "where the others aren't". That is in an area that is old and obsolete but needed (Cobol), has specific skills that are to get qualified or trained in (some forms of Automation come to mind) or are undesirable for other factors (fixing control systems in filthy shipyards and offshore as I do now for FAR more than 12k / month). A generic programmer isn't going to make 12k - however a good business analyst with strong salesforce skills might.
While I agree on Cobol part, salesforce skills are commodities long ago so 12k is tough there...but got your point...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 08 Jun 2021 2:01 pm

Raj13 wrote:
Tue, 08 Jun 2021 9:25 am
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 07 Jun 2021 4:25 pm
While I agree on Cobol part, salesforce skills are commodities long ago so 12k is tough there...but got your point...
I'm not talking about as SF admin but someone who can analyze a business and write a new wrapper around SF - a pretty big deal when needed.

Embedded system devel (SW and HW) can still pull good money in the right industry.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 08 Jun 2021 2:23 pm

Middle management positions at the US Fortune 100 company that I am employed by start at just under S$12k. We do have a few individual contributors who earn S$12k and up, but these are in the minority and have a specialized skill set.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr