Singapore Expats

New variant contagious

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

New variant contagious

Post by abbby » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:32 am

This new variant seems to be very contagious? There seems to be a lot of larger clusters going around. :shock:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: New variant contagious

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:13 am

Pre-alpha, beta, gamma, etc, we were used to seeing extremely low new case numbers here. Evidently, back then, our basic "new normal" line of defense was pretty effective against the original Covid-19 virus spreading.

However, since these mutants appeared on the scene, it looks like basic is no longer cutting it.

In effect, we either 1) constantly tighten up further in this arms race with the ever-mutating virus, or 2) come to terms to living our lives knowing that there will always be x-number of people out there infected with Covid.

Given that it's unlikely we'll ever reach 100% vaccination/immunity, it looks to me that it's pretty pointless gunning for zero cases.

IOW, unless we come up with some sort of super-vaccine, I reckon scenario 2 is the the most probable one. This is likely the real new normal.

Edit: edit.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 11:06 am

Precisely, because from what I understand from doctors, once a flu strain gets mutated, the vaccination will not be effective because it's a different strain.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:42 pm

Not good when a driver taking people to quarantine facility also becomes infected.
Joseph griffin

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 05 Jun 2021 10:22 am

Indeed.

I'm finding it very, very difficult imagining this driver not wearing his/her mask, given the status of these particular pax.

Of course, he/she may have inadvertently been wearing the mask incorrectly. But even then, for the virus to instantly be able to exploit this, to require just a little leeway to infect a new host, well, it looks like this particular variant's infectiousness could really be next-level.

Even if we assume the driver got infected by transmission through physical contact rather than by aerial particles, it still implies that this specific strain is really good at entering new hosts, given that it's scoring a 50% success rate, possibly even 100%.

All that being said, I recall that proportionately quite a few cab drivers kena SARS back when it was going around. So perhaps it's just this particular set of circumstances that these critters are able to leverage so well, i.e. a tiny closed off confined space with someone infected mere inches away from you.

Perhaps opening cab windows, and leaving them open, should be a keeper. For now at least.

Lastly, I guess we can't really discount the possibility that the driver got infected elsewhere altogether, although this surely has to be a longshot.

Either way, this bugger has "endemic" written all over it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:54 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Sat, 05 Jun 2021 10:22 am
Indeed.

I'm finding it very, very difficult imagining this driver not wearing his/her mask, given the status of these particular pax.

Of course, he/she may have inadvertently been wearing the mask incorrectly. But even then, for the virus to instantly be able to exploit this, to require just a little leeway to infect a new host, well, it looks like this particular variant's infectiousness could really be next-level.

Even if we assume the driver got infected by transmission through physical contact rather than by aerial particles, it still implies that this specific strain is really good at entering new hosts, given that it's scoring a 50% success rate, possibly even 100%.

All that being said, I recall that proportionately quite a few cab drivers kena SARS back when it was going around. So perhaps it's just this particular set of circumstances that these critters are able to leverage so well, i.e. a tiny closed off confined space with someone infected mere inches away from you.

Perhaps opening cab windows, and leaving them open, should be a keeper. For now at least.

Lastly, I guess we can't really discount the possibility that the driver got infected elsewhere altogether, although this surely has to be a longshot.

Either way, this bugger has "endemic" written all over it.

Exactly, the sooner Singapore starts treating the virus as endemic, the sooner we can have things return to “normal”.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:55 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 9:32 am
This new variant seems to be very contagious? There seems to be a lot of larger clusters going around. :shock:
Have all the new clusters been the result of the new variant?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:58 am

abbby wrote:
Thu, 03 Jun 2021 11:06 am
Precisely, because from what I understand from doctors, once a flu strain gets mutated, the vaccination will not be effective because it's a different strain.
Terrifying, hopefully we wont end up in an endless cycle of trying to catch up to the virus.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 3:52 pm

It will be just like the common flu. You buys your ticket (annual flu shot) or take your chances. The choice will ultimately be yours. And you will probably have to ultimately pay for those annual shots in the future as well, just like the rest of the world does.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 1:26 am

Honestly, if we think about it that way, it doesn’t seem all too bad.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 4:07 pm

Guangzhou / China is in a panic. Seems the Indian variant is causing real issues. Perhaps Sinovac doesn't work against it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 4:36 pm

You mean the Delta variant :)

If I recall, Sinovac only scored about 60% effectiveness. That was fine when you're base is 0, but it may come back and bite you in the arse down the road, when the virus "learns" by elimination how it can maximize its potential.

Hopefully, it's not as bad as it seems...

Last edited by Max Headroom on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 5:08 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Thu, 10 Jun 2021 4:36 pm

If I recall, Sinovac only scored about 60% effectiveness. That was fine when you're base is 0, but it may come back and bite you in the arse down the road, when the virus "learn" by elimination how it can maximize its potential.

Folks here are refusing to leave Singapore when their visa expires on the basis of what they know is going on back there....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:11 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Thu, 10 Jun 2021 4:36 pm

If I recall, Sinovac only scored about 60% effectiveness. That was fine when you're base is 0, but it may come back and bite you in the arse down the road, when the virus "learns" by elimination how it can maximize its potential.

60% is not enough for me to feel secure. In comparison to Pfizer’s 95%, Sinovac seems weak and ineffective.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 7:56 am

It just means chances of getting COVID-19 is reduced by 60%. Still better than 0%. Having a vaccination is better than none. Some people can’t take mRNA vaccines for various reasons and presenting them with an alternative like Sinovac is still a good option.

This article explains the misconception about vaccine efficacy.