Singapore Expats

Homeless

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
JMLU

Homeless

Post by JMLU » Mon, 31 May 2021 8:25 pm

I’m a 16 y.o foreign student , my lease ended today and I can’t renew it. I haven’t found a place yet.I can sleep here today but I’m out Tomorrow.
This is the first time i come so close to becoming homeless and I have no idea what to do. I’m alone here , no support, my Teachers don’t understand the issue and I’m scared, frustrated and wish this is all just a dream.
All the rooms are either unavailable, completely ignored me , sounds like a scam or not immediate.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Homeless

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 31 May 2021 9:47 pm

Ring the YMCA, the Salvation Army and MCYS.

They may be able to help.

Technically it is illegal to sleep out in the open here so eventually you will be accommodated.

Also beach camping may be an option.

Don't speak to your teachers. Speak to the school counsellor.

Are your parents aware of the situation?

Call me on 8 8 seven four two 3 3 four if you're at risk of sleeping outside tomorrow.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JMLU

Post by JMLU » Mon, 31 May 2021 10:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 31 May 2021 9:47 pm
Ring the YMCA, the Salvation Army and MCYS.

They may be able to help.

Technically it is illegal to sleep out in the open here so eventually you will be accommodated.

Also beach camping may be an option.

Don't speak to your teachers. Speak to the school counsellor.

Are your parents aware of the situation?

Call me on 8 8 seven four two 3 3 four if you're at risk of sleeping outside tomorrow.
Beach camping is cool but I need wifi to do school work.

My parents are aware but don’t know how to help.

The school counsellor told me to talk to my teacher so kind of useless.

I’ll try contacting YMCA, etc.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 31 May 2021 11:20 pm

It’s weird but I often think about what I might do in this same situation. Maybe it’s because when I first moved here I literally had nothing but two suitcases. During my 24 years here, I actually was in this situation once, but only for two days. I spent one night in a hotel and won’t say where I spent the other night, but it was free! Unlike cars, lodging is something you cannot avoid, and there are really no cheap options that are reasonable. Even now it is shocking for me to think about the size of my daily cash outflow on housing.

If I were in your situation, I’d probably check with your fellow students to see if they don’t mind you crashing at their place for a while, maybe pay a portion of their rent on a daily basis until you can find a more permanent option. Sharing a unit and splitting the rent is often the best solution here for those without much money and no family to live with.

I have often thought that Singapore should open up worker dorm style accommodations to the general public at a reasonable daily/weekly/monthly rate, maybe like $20/day, $100/week or $350/mo for example, that would be very reasonable for someone who just needs a economical place to sleep.

The closest thing I’ve seen to that is up in Lucky Plaza apartments, some are partitioned and could be had for as little as $30/night, but you need to know someone who knows someone to get in there (not advertised, and probably illegal). Most of the people staying there were medical tourists from the region, not sure about nowadays.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Return to “Announcement, Help & FAQ”