Starhub no longer attractive

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 4:53 am

Yet another example is Bein Sports. From expensive sports packages, now one can watch European soccer for 10$+ a month.

I use an Apple TV and it fits all my needs without cable.

Same for Indian cricket. From 32$ on StarHub a month, one can get Hotstar for 10$ a month.

We have overpaid for long.

I hope all retail and clothes and luxury Brand’s start shipping here too.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8095
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 6:56 am

Yes that is true.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9686
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by x9200 » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 7:05 am

Any online provider offering for reasonable price Discovery and National Geographic channels (and such)?

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by malcontent » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 12:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:01 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:16 am
Our contract just expired. We had been getting 1000mbps fiber plus all entertainment cable channels for under $50/mo, it has been a similar amount for as long as I can remember.

Now they want us to pay $80/mo for almost the same thing (actually, less in some aspects). I guess they are encouraging cord cutting? I was thinking about cutting even at $50/mo, but at $80/mo it is a no brainer. I’m also planning to downgrade our internet from 1000mbps to 500mbps so it’s only $30/mo. Most of my internet traffic is international and there is only a 16% reduction in international speeds between the two, not the 50% reduction which is only within Singapore and I could care less about local speed. Whenever I use the speedtest app it’s to San Francisco and I usually get 80mbps up and down at best.
If you need a telephone line, I would recommend M1 500mbps, starhub 500mbps doesnt come with one. I have been using M1 500mbps line since 5 years now and have had no problems.

They dont give you a free router, but thats not a problem. These days routers end up so cheap on carousel, I got an almost new Linksys EA8100 for $15.
We have been using Singtel for our fixed line phone all these years and the 3 month average works out to $45-50/mo, which makes me sick.

It’s just such a hassle to change and the last time I spoke to Starhub they didn’t have confidence that I could access their digital service from all 3 existing phone jacks in our home.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8095
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 6:22 pm

I use the MyRepublic Internet which includes a free phone line for about the same
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 6:31 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 02 Jun 2021 12:13 pm
Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:01 pm
malcontent wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:16 am
Our contract just expired. We had been getting 1000mbps fiber plus all entertainment cable channels for under $50/mo, it has been a similar amount for as long as I can remember.

Now they want us to pay $80/mo for almost the same thing (actually, less in some aspects). I guess they are encouraging cord cutting? I was thinking about cutting even at $50/mo, but at $80/mo it is a no brainer. I’m also planning to downgrade our internet from 1000mbps to 500mbps so it’s only $30/mo. Most of my internet traffic is international and there is only a 16% reduction in international speeds between the two, not the 50% reduction which is only within Singapore and I could care less about local speed. Whenever I use the speedtest app it’s to San Francisco and I usually get 80mbps up and down at best.
If you need a telephone line, I would recommend M1 500mbps, starhub 500mbps doesnt come with one. I have been using M1 500mbps line since 5 years now and have had no problems.

They dont give you a free router, but thats not a problem. These days routers end up so cheap on carousel, I got an almost new Linksys EA8100 for $15.
We have been using Singtel for our fixed line phone all these years and the 3 month average works out to $45-50/mo, which makes me sick.

It’s just such a hassle to change and the last time I spoke to Starhub they didn’t have confidence that I could access their digital service from all 3 existing phone jacks in our home.
Maybe it is worth it talking to Singtel to have this converted to digital and their technicians should help you have the digital service work from all phone jacks.

Singtel digital line is free if you get their broadband. So maybe subscribe to singtel broadband this time and have your phone line converted to digital and then next time you can shop around for whatever is cheaper/better.

This thread has a bit of information about analog to digital conversion.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thre ... e.4594126/

HWZ should have your problem already discussed, somewhere.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by malcontent » Thu, 03 Jun 2021 8:25 pm

Interesting tip... I will have to look into this and see what Singtel can do for me. Thanks!

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:43 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:12 am
The prices/packages should be reduced and not increased or maintained since the number of channel offerings have decreased significantly over the years.
Completely agree. If they continue down this pricey route, they will continue to lose competitiveness.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:48 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 31 May 2021 6:17 am
I use StarHub for phone line as a sim only plan. Buy my phones in cash not contract. Internet is important. Their cable model needs innovation.

I don’t have cable anymore. A smart tv and a streaming device like Apple TV works perfect. I have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon and Disney and Bein for sports. There is enough news n content on YouTube too .
Same here. I found out after careful calculations a few years ago that buying the phone in cash and then paying for a sim-only plan is much cheaper than going for one of those $0 phone, $69 a month plans. Before COVID, I would buy my phone (universally unlocked) from the Apple stores in the US and bring it back. Saved me hundreds, maybe even thousands.

We no longer use cable either. The TV is only used to stream Netflix, YouTube, and Disney+ programs.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by malcontent » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:58 am

Does anyone subscribe to HBO GO?

I had to log into my Apple TV using my wife’s Singapore iTunes account in order to get the HBO GO app (I could only get HBO Max under my US iTunes account).

I then went to the the HBO Asia website but it says I can only subscribe through Starhub, SingTel or Mediacorp.

Which one is better?

Once I do that, can I sign in directly on the HBO GO app?

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 3:54 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:58 am
Does anyone subscribe to HBO GO?

I had to log into my Apple TV using my wife’s Singapore iTunes account in order to get the HBO GO app (I could only get HBO Max under my US iTunes account).

I then went to the the HBO Asia website but it says I can only subscribe through Starhub, SingTel or Mediacorp.

Which one is better?

Once I do that, can I sign in directly on the HBO GO app?
I think u can get HBO from AppStore . Subscribe from
Phone n unsubscribe any time. I subscribed it twice for short times to watch Games of Throne n justice league.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:24 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:58 am
Does anyone subscribe to HBO GO?

I had to log into my Apple TV using my wife’s Singapore iTunes account in order to get the HBO GO app (I could only get HBO Max under my US iTunes account).

I then went to the the HBO Asia website but it says I can only subscribe through Starhub, SingTel or Mediacorp.

Which one is better?

Once I do that, can I sign in directly on the HBO GO app?
What are the benefits of using HBO GO? IS it the same as any other streaming service?

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:35 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:24 pm
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:58 am
Does anyone subscribe to HBO GO?

I had to log into my Apple TV using my wife’s Singapore iTunes account in order to get the HBO GO app (I could only get HBO Max under my US iTunes account).

I then went to the the HBO Asia website but it says I can only subscribe through Starhub, SingTel or Mediacorp.

Which one is better?

Once I do that, can I sign in directly on the HBO GO app?
What are the benefits of using HBO GO? IS it the same as any other streaming service?
HBO has some good Original Content. If the show interests u, subscribe . I did it for GoT.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:39 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:35 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:24 pm
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:58 am
Does anyone subscribe to HBO GO?

I had to log into my Apple TV using my wife’s Singapore iTunes account in order to get the HBO GO app (I could only get HBO Max under my US iTunes account).

I then went to the the HBO Asia website but it says I can only subscribe through Starhub, SingTel or Mediacorp.

Which one is better?

Once I do that, can I sign in directly on the HBO GO app?
What are the benefits of using HBO GO? IS it the same as any other streaming service?
HBO has some good Original Content. If the show interests u, subscribe . I did it for GoT.
I’m interested in Euphoria as well, but I just am not sure that I need a third streaming service subscription (I’m currently subscribed to Netflix and Disney+). I just wish there was one sweeping option that covered all shows and movies, so I could just pay one fee and have every program in one place.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:44 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:39 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:35 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:24 pm


What are the benefits of using HBO GO? IS it the same as any other streaming service?
HBO has some good Original Content. If the show interests u, subscribe . I did it for GoT.
I’m interested in Euphoria as well, but I just am not sure that I need a third streaming service subscription (I’m currently subscribed to Netflix and Disney+). I just wish there was one sweeping option that covered all shows and movies, so I could just pay one fee and have every program in one place.
I agree its overwhelming. I usually only subscribe to HBO for the duration of a show that I watch. Disney and Netflix usually have much more interesting content and some which u can watch again n again.

I recently subscribed to LiveNow for Euro 2000 (98 SGD).

I also have subscriptions to other stuff like Diet Doctor for Keto, Zoe Haracombe for her Nutrition Research, etc.

Honestly, I feel I dont mind supporting companies or people who are doing a good service or at least innovating. Unlike the companies which just act like middlemen.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest