Singapore Expats

Starhub no longer attractive

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Starhub no longer attractive

Post by abbby » Sun, 30 May 2021 12:15 pm

Channel after Channel that's being removed, leaving not much left in their selection. Even Disney has left them to partake in the streaming business...

Worth considering not to renew after my package with starhub ends.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/co ... ?cid=FBcna
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sun, 30 May 2021 2:30 pm

StarHub has gotten bad with the channel drops. Used to be with Singtel and they got bad with channel drops. Our household needs a new plan Dont watch TV too much but stilllllll.....
Joseph griffin

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sun, 30 May 2021 5:43 pm

It was only bcos Starhub had an integrated internet plan for my package, otherwise i would have cancelled them.

I remembered few years ago, they took away a string of Discovery channels, HGTV, TLC, Toonami, and some other cartoon channels, then disne, FOX...and everything went downhill from then. But prices are still kept the same..behaving like they're still in monopoly. Whatever channel that was removed, they never came back with new channels.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 30 May 2021 10:15 pm

I switched to Starhub after being with M1 for some time and hating it. Starhub was better, but in recent years their plans have become so much less competitive price wise; I switched to Singtel 3 years ago and have been with them since.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 31 May 2021 6:17 am

I use StarHub for phone line as a sim only plan. Buy my phones in cash not contract. Internet is important. Their cable model needs innovation.

I don’t have cable anymore. A smart tv and a streaming device like Apple TV works perfect. I have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon and Disney and Bein for sports. There is enough news n content on YouTube too .

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 31 May 2021 11:10 pm

We stopped subscribing cable tv 3 years ago. Times have changed and we can no longer wait for a particular program to be telecasted. Ever since we have started using more and more of internet, we are used to on demand. Also who has the time these days for TV? smart phones, internet and social media have completely taken over whatever spare time we had. I am on reddit, twitter, HWZ and 2 other forums, other than this one. I do have TV at home and have chromecast and amazon firetv stick.I also have amazon prime video. But most of the time, my tv, my daughter is watching cartoons from youtube and I am watching bloomberg tv.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:16 am

Our contract just expired. We had been getting 1000mbps fiber plus all entertainment cable channels for under $50/mo, it has been a similar amount for as long as I can remember.

Now they want us to pay $80/mo for almost the same thing (actually, less in some aspects). I guess they are encouraging cord cutting? I was thinking about cutting even at $50/mo, but at $80/mo it is a no brainer. I’m also planning to downgrade our internet from 1000mbps to 500mbps so it’s only $30/mo. Most of my internet traffic is international and there is only a 16% reduction in international speeds between the two, not the 50% reduction which is only within Singapore and I could care less about local speed. Whenever I use the speedtest app it’s to San Francisco and I usually get 80mbps up and down at best.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 7:38 am

I agree it's a problem Mal with their cable packages. Mine seems to have jumped to 64/month with less content after their two year contract expired.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 10:12 am

The prices/packages should be reduced and not increased or maintained since the number of channel offerings have decreased significantly over the years.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:01 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 12:16 am
Our contract just expired. We had been getting 1000mbps fiber plus all entertainment cable channels for under $50/mo, it has been a similar amount for as long as I can remember.

Now they want us to pay $80/mo for almost the same thing (actually, less in some aspects). I guess they are encouraging cord cutting? I was thinking about cutting even at $50/mo, but at $80/mo it is a no brainer. I’m also planning to downgrade our internet from 1000mbps to 500mbps so it’s only $30/mo. Most of my internet traffic is international and there is only a 16% reduction in international speeds between the two, not the 50% reduction which is only within Singapore and I could care less about local speed. Whenever I use the speedtest app it’s to San Francisco and I usually get 80mbps up and down at best.
If you need a telephone line, I would recommend M1 500mbps, starhub 500mbps doesnt come with one. I have been using M1 500mbps line since 5 years now and have had no problems.

They dont give you a free router, but thats not a problem. These days routers end up so cheap on carousel, I got an almost new Linksys EA8100 for $15.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:04 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 31 May 2021 6:17 am
I use StarHub for phone line as a sim only plan. Buy my phones in cash not contract. Internet is important. Their cable model needs innovation.

I don’t have cable anymore. A smart tv and a streaming device like Apple TV works perfect. I have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon and Disney and Bein for sports. There is enough news n content on YouTube too .
Both me and my wife have been using Circles Flexi $0 sim since 3 years now. Our mobile plans cost zero. We get free 30 mins talktime and 1gb data free per month. We have wifi at home and wifi in office and it is only on MRT we need to mobile data.

These days with WFH, what the hell are people doing with all that 50gb data plans, lol?

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:21 pm

What I notice in Singapore is that customers get to pay a higher price as long as there is no alternative. Whether it is mobile data plans, e-commerce , taxis before Uber/grab, streaming services.

We should welcome innovation and competition. I am sure StarHub will do something to be competitive and successful.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:24 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:04 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Mon, 31 May 2021 6:17 am

Both me and my wife have been using Circles Flexi $0 sim since 3 years now. Our mobile plans cost zero. We get free 30 mins talktime and 1gb data free per month. We have wifi at home and wifi in office and it is only on MRT we need to mobile data.

These days with WFH, what the hell are people doing with all that 50gb data plans, lol?
Maybe for some paying for 50GB data is not an issue at all. You never know.

I took a 50GB mobile plan as a corp plan two years back when I used to watch videos I mRT. Now I hardly take public transport. Only next time I will take a sim only plan.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:28 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Tue, 01 Jun 2021 1:21 pm
What I notice in Singapore is that customers get to pay a higher price as long as there is no alternative. Whether it is mobile data plans, e-commerce , taxis before Uber/grab, streaming services.

We should welcome innovation and competition. I am sure StarHub will do something to be competitive and successful.
No they won't. Not until they throw out their CEO and board.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Wed, 02 Jun 2021 4:49 am

At least , Singapore is allowing people to use alternatives now. I buy a lot of books and Amazon USA helps a lot. I am also able to get supplements etc from there which is hard to find here. Without Amazon, I would be paying far more for the same stuff. I also like Shopee n Lazada but for local stuff.

I remember my wife wanted a Samsonite laptop bag. In Singapore it was 250$. I got from Amazon UK for 150+30 shipping. Yet 70$ cheap.

Those who don’t innovate will suffer. From paying 100$ for internet and cable to StarHub, now we pay 40$ to StarHub and 50$ to streaming services.

I welcome choices which are customer friendly.