Singapore Expats

Starhub no longer attractive

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Starhub no longer attractive

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:45 am

I subscribed to Paramount+ (30 days free) and renewed my VPN subscription today ($27.99 for 12 months) which took a good 45 minutes to get working via the dedicated VPN router. I don’t plan to keep Paramount, but we’ll see. I always seem to buy a year of VPN, then go a year without it. For me, it’s a nice to have, not a must have.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:25 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:44 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:39 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:35 pm

HBO has some good Original Content. If the show interests u, subscribe . I did it for GoT.
I’m interested in Euphoria as well, but I just am not sure that I need a third streaming service subscription (I’m currently subscribed to Netflix and Disney+). I just wish there was one sweeping option that covered all shows and movies, so I could just pay one fee and have every program in one place.
I agree its overwhelming. I usually only subscribe to HBO for the duration of a show that I watch. Disney and Netflix usually have much more interesting content and some which u can watch again n again.

I recently subscribed to LiveNow for Euro 2000 (98 SGD).

I also have subscriptions to other stuff like Diet Doctor for Keto, Zoe Haracombe for her Nutrition Research, etc.

Honestly, I feel I dont mind supporting companies or people who are doing a good service or at least innovating. Unlike the companies which just act like middlemen.
That makes sense. I usually subscribed by year as its more economical, but I guess in the case of HBO I can take a page from your book and unsubscribe as soon as I’ve completed the series. Maybe I can see if they offer a free trial so I can watch the programs that interest me without subscribing long term.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 3:26 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:45 am
I subscribed to Paramount+ (30 days free) and renewed my VPN subscription today ($27.99 for 12 months) which took a good 45 minutes to get working via the dedicated VPN router. I don’t plan to keep Paramount, but we’ll see. I always seem to buy a year of VPN, then go a year without it. For me, it’s a nice to have, not a must have.
So fortuitous that you mention Paramount. I first read about it this morning, but didn’t get a chance to do very in depth research. Let me know how you like it once you’ve gotten a chance to explore the different offerings.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:55 pm

So far, I have been impressed with Paramount+ … lots of US programming, new and old, and it seems like they have just about every program that is aired on CBS (I read that it used to be called CBS All Access before they rebranded and rebundled). Do note that it definitely requires a VPN, if I forget to switch on my VPN it stops me, even through I go through the Apple+ interface. I read that Paramount plans to make their offerings available internationally, but so far it’s mostly in the Americas and I think they have it in Australia.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 15 Jun 2021 7:24 pm

So far, I think the only streaming services that are officially available in Singapore are: Netflix, HBO Go, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

Looks like AMC+ seems to work without VPN at the moment, but I doubt that means it’s official or that they won’t close that loop (Fox Now was available here without VPN for a little while too, but they also stopped it, I believe). The PBS app works for some shows, but most are blocked by a mysterious sounding error.

Did I miss anything?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Jun 2021 9:54 pm

I registered online for Singtel TV two weeks ago. Nada so far. This is a common theme w the WFH style. Nothing gets done or answered.

What's the name of the turd CEO who runs that shithole?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:58 pm

Looks like they just installed a new head of Singapore consumer business.

https://theorg.com/org/singapore-teleco ... t/anna-yip

Teresagoh98

Post by Teresagoh98 » Thu, 17 Jun 2021 9:43 am

Hello! We have been using Starhub for awhile and I changed to Circle.life and has been on it for about 2 years now. I heard the My Republic has a better phone plan with $17/month. Anyone has this phone plan? Is it a sim only basis and how's it compared to Starhub/Circle.life?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:28 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:58 pm
Looks like they just installed a new head of Singapore consumer business.

https://theorg.com/org/singapore-teleco ... t/anna-yip
Thanks. I'll try to message the CEO on LinkedIn as well.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Jun 2021 11:33 am

I've inmailed on LI the CEO of Singtel - Kuan Moon Yuen. Let's see if anything happens.

Life Pro Tip - for a small amount per year you can harrass anyone on linkedin.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Jun 2021 1:44 pm

Mr Kuan (CEO of Singtel) has responded to thank me for the feedback and that they are looking into this.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:50 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:55 pm
So far, I have been impressed with Paramount+ … lots of US programming, new and old, and it seems like they have just about every program that is aired on CBS (I read that it used to be called CBS All Access before they rebranded and rebundled). Do note that it definitely requires a VPN, if I forget to switch on my VPN it stops me, even through I go through the Apple+ interface. I read that Paramount plans to make their offerings available internationally, but so far it’s mostly in the Americas and I think they have it in Australia.

“US programming”- stuff that’s on other streaming sites or exclusive to Paramount?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:53 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 15 Jun 2021 7:24 pm
So far, I think the only streaming services that are officially available in Singapore are: Netflix, HBO Go, Disney+ and Amazon Prime.

Looks like AMC+ seems to work without VPN at the moment, but I doubt that means it’s official or that they won’t close that loop (Fox Now was available here without VPN for a little while too, but they also stopped it, I believe). The PBS app works for some shows, but most are blocked by a mysterious sounding error.

Did I miss anything?
https://www.timeout.com/singapore/film/ ... -tv-series

Pretty sure you’ve covered all the bases, but local programmes are available on MeWatch and Korean shows are available on Viu.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:54 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 15 Jun 2021 9:54 pm
I registered online for Singtel TV two weeks ago. Nada so far. This is a common theme w the WFH style. Nothing gets done or answered.

What's the name of the turd CEO who runs that shithole?
Hahaha. Contacting them is a nightmare, takes a whole day just to get a useless, uninformative response. I can never get any results without getting angry and more aggressive.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Jun 2021 1:56 am

Teresagoh98 wrote:
Thu, 17 Jun 2021 9:43 am
Hello! We have been using Starhub for awhile and I changed to Circle.life and has been on it for about 2 years now. I heard the My Republic has a better phone plan with $17/month. Anyone has this phone plan? Is it a sim only basis and how's it compared to Starhub/Circle.life?
https://blog.seedly.sg/singapore-telco- ... best-plan/

This should be helpful.