Singapore Expats

DBS Vickers

Discuss about the different financial investment options, financial markets, common investment products and what is trending in the market.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: DBS Vickers

Post by malcontent » Fri, 28 May 2021 1:16 am

Most major brokers in the US now offer 100% commission free trades. Schwab & Fidelity are both top rated. Last year, TD Ameritrade extended commission free trades to all Singapore residents as well, no transaction charges or hidden fees, but there is roughly 0.5% currency conversion if depositing SGD. Just be aware of the potential US estate tax issue if your balance is above $60,000.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 28 May 2021 6:49 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 12:27 am
Are you able to invest in American stocks using Vickers?
The answer can be found with a Google search.

Most if not all brokerages allow you to buy US stocks. Some brokerages might be limited on what kind you can buy.

Some people go for the roboadvisor route instead so they don’t have to deal with the headache of choosing which one to buy. You just select how much you want to invest, your risk level, and let the app do the rest.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 May 2021 7:35 am

I really like Saxo.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 May 2021 8:49 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 1:16 am
Most major brokers in the US now offer 100% commission free trades. Schwab & Fidelity are both top rated. Last year, TD Ameritrade extended commission free trades to all Singapore residents as well, no transaction charges or hidden fees, but there is roughly 0.5% currency conversion if depositing SGD. Just be aware of the potential US estate tax issue if your balance is above $60,000.
Really? My dad’s portfolio is worth significantly more than $60,000. My understanding was that the money is tax-free. I’ll have to look into this.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 May 2021 8:51 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 6:49 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 12:27 am
Are you able to invest in American stocks using Vickers?
The answer can be found with a Google search.

Most if not all brokerages allow you to buy US stocks. Some brokerages might be limited on what kind you can buy.

Some people go for the roboadvisor route instead so they don’t have to deal with the headache of choosing which one to buy. You just select how much you want to invest, your risk level, and let the app do the rest.
My previous understanding was that locals are not able to buy US stocks. I’m not a fan of the “roboadvisor” route. I prefer to be more involved and do my research before deciding what to buy. I’ve bought Apple, Tesla, Starbucks, Berkshire, Softbank, and many more in the past.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 28 May 2021 8:59 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 8:49 am
Really? My dad’s portfolio is worth significantly more than $60,000. My understanding was that the money is tax-free. I’ll have to look into this.
If he is a US citizen, there is currently an $11+ million exemption, that exemption is not available if you are a nonresident alien.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 May 2021 11:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 8:59 am
Lisafuller wrote:
If he is a US citizen, there is currently an $11+ million exemption, that exemption is not available if you are a nonresident alien.
I see, he is a citizen.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 28 May 2021 11:44 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 8:51 am
My previous understanding was that locals are not able to buy US stocks.
We most definitely can but subjected to 30% taxes on dividend paying stocks so people advise Ireland domiciled ETF instead as a workaround or just avoid dividend paying stocks.

Some roboadvisors do list down what stocks it is, some don’t. My money is growing and I’m satisfied. Of course, it’s always good to diversify your portfolio and not solely focus on robos, or just the US market only, or crypto only, etc.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 28 May 2021 1:04 pm

Crypto is one of those potential “big mistakes” that Bogle talks about avoiding (to be a successful investor).

You will do better than most investors in the long-run by simply investing in a low cost, broadly diversified index fund. For non-US persons, that can be as simple investing in UK listed VWRA. For US persons, ticker VT is similar, or add some VTI for more domestic tilt.

I personally have more invested in VTI than anything else.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 May 2021 1:20 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:
My wife inherited about 100k and it came with tax liabilities stateside due to the nature of the inheritance (annuities).

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 28 May 2021 1:24 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 11:23 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 8:59 am
Lisafuller wrote:
I see, he is a citizen.
The tax trap is this.. let’s say your dad is a US person but your mom is not, his US situated assets will pass to your mom tax free if they are within the allowable exemptions, but if she doesn’t liquidate those US situated assets and they eventually pass to her children... then her estate tax will very likely owe as much as 40% estate tax on anything above $60,000.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 28 May 2021 1:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 1:20 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:
My wife inherited about 100k and it came with tax liabilities stateside due to the nature of the inheritance (annuities).
If this inheritance was coming from a US person then it wouldn’t have been estate tax, most likely the annuity was housing pre-tax dollars that were deferred from income tax when contributed... eventually tax has to be paid on deferred amounts, it’s inevitable.

Sometimes when inheriting money like this they may allow you to spread it out over 10 years to reduce the annual tax in a given year, (similar to how SRS withdrawals work).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 4:03 pm

I really don't like the IBKR interface...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:59 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 11:44 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 8:51 am
My previous understanding was that locals are not able to buy US stocks.
We most definitely can but subjected to 30% taxes on dividend paying stocks so people advise Ireland domiciled ETF instead as a workaround or just avoid dividend paying stocks.

Some roboadvisors do list down what stocks it is, some don’t. My money is growing and I’m satisfied. Of course, it’s always good to diversify your portfolio and not solely focus on robos, or just the US market only, or crypto only, etc.
I see, that would probably be a pretty big deterrent for most potential investors.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:02 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 1:04 pm
Crypto is one of those potential “big mistakes” that Bogle talks about avoiding (to be a successful investor).

You will do better than most investors in the long-run by simply investing in a low cost, broadly diversified index fund. For non-US persons, that can be as simple investing in UK listed VWRA. For US persons, ticker VT is similar, or add some VTI for more domestic tilt.

I personally have more invested in VTI than anything else.
Completely agree. It’s so important to not place all your eggs in one basket. Crypto is so foreign for me, I don’t feel too good about investing in something I know so little about, especially when it’s so intangible and unsubstantial.