Singapore Expats

New restaurants are still popping up during this pandemic

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

New restaurants are still popping up during this pandemic

Post by abbby » Thu, 20 May 2021 5:53 pm

I am not sure, I have no magic ball, but looking at how the pandemic is going, doesn't seem like a good idea of opening new restaurants, as chances are they might get shut for flouting covid rules or heightening of covid measures...I've been reading, some restaurants just opened 1 month and some are just opened for a week and there's a sudden closure doe to the heightened measure.

what are your views?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: New restaurants are still popping up during this pandemic

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2021 8:48 pm

Frankly, I'd stay as far away from F&B as possible. But that's just me. I rarely do F&B anyway. I can't eat ambience so I'm not prone to going out to dine. Having said that, I did go to Subway yesterday at NEX but that was only because I went to NTUC for weekly marketing and had a couple of coupons from dorito bags that gave me a free 6 inch sub (without having to buy anything else at all) That is a win-win. Figured as it was takeaway only I stopped cart & all on the way out, got the sub and out to home. Otherwise, I'd have just gone home and cook something.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 21 May 2021 9:51 am

Oh yes I did see the Dorito promo as well..giving out free subways..which is really not bad. Any crowds at NEX? I remember my last visit there some time back the escalators are always packed with people, I guess the shops should be mostly empty now..except NTUC.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2021 1:00 pm

abbby, I was pleasantly surprised at the small number of people there. no lines waiting to get into the complex even though new sq mtr rules for entire complex in place. NTUC not crowded and shelves and freshfoods well stocked. Didn't even see any survival freaks (you know what I'm talking about). Having said that, I normally go to the market (NTUC) around 2~3 pm as I find it past the lunchtime crowd and the morning auntie brigade who try to beat the heat of the day. I find the hottest part of the day is best to thin out gawkers/windowshoppers. After 5 on weekdays, Fridays after 4 and weekends in general I try to avoid it. (I only live 2.4 km from there so it the most convenient)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 21 May 2021 3:27 pm

At least it's good to know these people are not out q-ing for toilet paper..Nex just doesn't feel like Nex without the crowd lol..escalators were always so jammed up.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2021 5:58 pm

As I'm there every week at least once, I know what you mean. One day I went there on a Saturday afternoon and there had to be 300 people lined back and forth across the entire front of the shopping centre probably 6 rows deep. all just standing there as they'd already exceeded the floor sq mt count for the complex. I was on the pedestrian overpass from the bus stop across the street and I just shook my head in amazement. walked along the kerb at the taxi stand up to the bus stop on the NEX side and grabbed the next bus home.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 4:48 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 5:53 pm
I am not sure, I have no magic ball, but looking at how the pandemic is going, doesn't seem like a good idea of opening new restaurants, as chances are they might get shut for flouting covid rules or heightening of covid measures...I've been reading, some restaurants just opened 1 month and some are just opened for a week and there's a sudden closure doe to the heightened measure.

what are your views?
One of the online bakeries that I’ve been following on social media for some time just opened their first physical location, which didn’t seem like a great idea to me when they announced it. I was wrong, they’ve sold out hours ahead of closing time every day for over a week now. The breads themselves are fantastic, I’ll probably make a separate post about that.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 4:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 21 May 2021 1:00 pm
abbby, I was pleasantly surprised at the small number of people there. no lines waiting to get into the complex even though new sq mtr rules for entire complex in place. NTUC not crowded and shelves and freshfoods well stocked. Didn't even see any survival freaks (you know what I'm talking about). Having said that, I normally go to the market (NTUC) around 2~3 pm as I find it past the lunchtime crowd and the morning auntie brigade who try to beat the heat of the day. I find the hottest part of the day is best to thin out gawkers/windowshoppers. After 5 on weekdays, Fridays after 4 and weekends in general I try to avoid it. (I only live 2.4 km from there so it the most convenient)
The NTUC I frequent is the one at Bukit Timah Plaza. Its one of those 2-floor NTUCs, so you can only imagine the crowd it gets daily (I’d imagine it serves most of the residents in the Bukit Timah area). I also only go at “off-peak” hours. I only make my trips on weekdays at around 4, when there’s never much of a crowd.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 29 May 2021 12:47 am

ramie123 wrote:
Fri, 28 May 2021 4:34 pm
People are really still fighting hard and grabbing every chance they can get. At this moment of uncertainty, the restaurant owners are maybe desperate enough to open their business every time they see an opportunity. I can't blame them. But, for me, I just feel so elated because I am still going to enjoy more halal thai food singapore.
Whatever you do, don’t visit Sanook Thai Kitchen. It’s cheap and its halal, but the food is terrible.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 29 May 2021 4:26 pm

I think rents have dropped enough that restaurant entrepreneurs are willing to take a punt.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!