Singapore Expats

Retailers call for government support

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Retailers call for government support

Post by abbby » Thu, 20 May 2021 11:15 am

In no time, the reserves will be depleted in that's the case, but i think retailers should also learn to accept online as another form of revenue. I just think Singapore retailers are lagging behind many countries like US and Australia for online shopping.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Retailers call for government support

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:40 pm

The reserves will not be depleted, thats for sure. Singapore has one of the largest reserves in the world, and the government’s financial planning is fantastic. I must agree, though, that local retailers are really behind in the e-commerce game.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:55 pm

Lisa, I wouldn't be too quick on the trigger. It was a rough year last year and looks to be gonna get even worse for a while. We haven't seen the Temasek and other government results for last year yet. (The investments could well have taken a hit, not counting the withdrawals. Yeah, they should be in good shape, but it won't stay long, especially if they don't get the covid thing sorted out that they have frankly botched up by chasing zero infection in what is eventually going be have to be accepted an endemic as in the majority of the rest of the world. This is going to cause a loss of voters in the next GE and if it hits too hard, could result in a freak election result and we know what would happen then. Me? I'm keepin' my fingers crossed!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 20 May 2021 5:46 pm

Yup..last year was rough with the payouts to self employed and JSS to employed staff. This year if it's retailers then I cannot imagine what the amount would come up to..I think retailers should just brace themselves, go online, sell online, do deliveries, and stop expanding.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 21 May 2021 9:23 am

Incredibly, even today I still encounter boh-chap stares when I ask shop-owners about online options. Really now, if you're a retailer and you still can't be bothered to deploy any of the various virtual channels that, now more than ever, are up for grabs, then, clearly, Darwin's law applies.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 21 May 2021 9:55 am

Max Headroom wrote:
Fri, 21 May 2021 9:23 am
Incredibly, even today I still encounter boh-chap stares when I ask shop-owners about online options. Really now, if you're a retailer and you still can't be bothered to deploy any of the various virtual channels that, now more than ever, are up for grabs, then, clearly, Darwin's law applies.
Yes that's what I feel too..I think Singapore's 20 years behind US and Australia for online shopping..that's why most retailers are suffering now.

I remembered toys r us in Singapore didn't have online shopping, I emailed them and requested them to make them available online, after that, they did, but charged an arm and leg for volumetric delivery fees. Ended up the delivery fees was more expensive than the toy. So that was my first and last shopping with them. Thereafter, they changed to one-time delivery fee which was lower in fees, BUT, too late, Amazon came onboard...and I started using Amazon which was such a godsent, from groceries to toys..delivery was no issue. :-"

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 May 2021 1:09 pm

Yeah, I've always been an Amazon user, but was late into the game with Sg Amazon Prime which I got at the beginning of covid (for the movie channel at less than $3/mo but the big plus was the free shipping with over $60 an order). Granted less available than Amazon US/UK but I find it works for a good savings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 21 May 2021 4:09 pm

Yes, Amazon is great...they have a lot of things that I need, I enjoy even paying the $3/month is really nothing..sometimes they have same day delivery which is a real bonus. I like the huge selection of items I could get. I'm really pleased they've come to Singapore, albeit a small market for them. At least I don't always feel compelled to use redmart and NTUC.

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sat, 22 May 2021 2:26 am

At least the retailers can launch websites to capture business. They can downsize or negotiate rent rebates.

On the other hand there are too many hotel rooms to fill with local staycations.

Too many excellent attractions that are expensive to operate based on only citizens visiting and staycations.

Changi airport one of the best in the world and 17th pre Covid for traffic, now is operating at a fraction and parts closed.
Harbour Front island ferry service closed with no reopening in sight

Indonesia ferry trips were the best free and easy break.

Alot has gone into funding to keep infrastructure up and running during Covid. Singapore has done it's citizens proud under such circumstances.
Joseph griffin

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Sat, 22 May 2021 11:34 am

The online presence of retailers is still very weak, they either have a website but don't serve online shopping or they have an online shopping site but have a limited number of items, some of which are like Metro, Isetan, Daiso..looking at the number of items they have, you actually won't buy because it's just too limited in selection.

I do think IKEA has done a great job over the last few years in establishing their online presence, though i wished they delivery fee was more palatable. =D> =D>

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 4:39 pm

Max Headroom wrote:
Exactly. If you’re not going to innovate, no one can help you.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 4:41 pm

abbby wrote:
Fri, 21 May 2021 9:55 am
Max Headroom wrote:
Yes that's what I feel too..I think Singapore's 20 years behind US and Australia for online shopping..that's why most retailers are suffering now.

I remembered toys r us in Singapore didn't have online shopping, I emailed them and requested them to make them available online, after that, they did, but charged an arm and leg for volumetric delivery fees. Ended up the delivery fees was more expensive than the toy. So that was my first and last shopping with them. Thereafter, they changed to one-time delivery fee which was lower in fees, BUT, too late, Amazon came onboard...and I started using Amazon which was such a godsent, from groceries to toys..delivery was no issue. :-"
Yes, local retailers are for the most part so far behind the US, UK, and AUS. I love using Amazon Prime, the $3 a month I pay is nothing compared to my savings.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 4:44 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 22 May 2021 11:34 am
The online presence of retailers is still very weak, they either have a website but don't serve online shopping or they have an online shopping site but have a limited number of items, some of which are like Metro, Isetan, Daiso..looking at the number of items they have, you actually won't buy because it's just too limited in selection.

I do think IKEA has done a great job over the last few years in establishing their online presence, though i wished they delivery fee was more palatable. =D> =D>
IKEA has a great online presence now, and the delivery is actually not bad since they now have partnered up with Gogovan to do deliveries; if I’m not mistaken, prices start at a little over $20.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 29 May 2021 12:41 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 22 May 2021 4:41 pm

Yes, local retailers are for the most part so far behind the US, UK, and AUS. I love using Amazon Prime, the $3 a month I pay is nothing compared to my savings.
The $3 per month is already worth it, with prime video, even without using any of their delivery services. But frankly I prefer shopee and lazada for some of the electronics stuff I bought. Almost always I search amazon and I find it cheaper on shoppee or lazada. Also the options on amazon sg are so limited. To me it is like a joke compared to the the other big online retailers in SG. Amazon US is good, but the SG version is too limited and pricey.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 May 2021 1:07 am

In fact I just took delivery of a new printer/scanner on Thursday morning from Amazon Prime Sg. Bought it on the evening of the 25th and it arrived on the morning before lunch on the 27th. Had a good run with my old Canon MP996 but it finally gave up the ghost with the dreaded B200 error and I tried all the uTube methods but nothing worked. Having said that, I bought it in 2009 so it did give me pretty good mileage. 12 years for an inkjet not too bad.