Austism child NS liability exemption

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
Sp474q
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2021 8:59 am

Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by Sp474q » Thu, 20 May 2021 9:07 am

Forum members
Seeking some experiences or guidance on whether autistic male has to undergo NS at 18 years. Will medical history and interventions along with assessment reports help explain his conditions for considering exemption or is it mandatory to serve. What implications on mental health and any impact on progression of child development due to this?
Appreciate some experiences as it can be helpful

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by therat » Thu, 20 May 2021 10:04 am

When he call for medical checkup.
Bring along all the medical report, Army will access and define his PES

Exemption is not something you can apply or want. Is what Army define him.

Alterative, you can ask your doc to write a exemption letter. Not sure will it help but at least your doc know your child condition well.

Some far I only know someone exempted from NS due to his epileptic. Very serious type.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9687
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 May 2021 12:23 pm

Sp474q wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 9:07 am
Forum members
Seeking some experiences or guidance on whether autistic male has to undergo NS at 18 years. Will medical history and interventions along with assessment reports help explain his conditions for considering exemption or is it mandatory to serve. What implications on mental health and any impact on progression of child development due to this?
Appreciate some experiences as it can be helpful
An autistic person could be highly functional and practically not any different from typical person, or on the opposite pole, with very sever disabilities. If the later, I doubt he will serve. If highly functional, likely yes. Anything in between, up to the doctors (military?) to determine.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 901
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:37 pm

x9200 wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 12:23 pm
Sp474q wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 9:07 am
Forum members
Seeking some experiences or guidance on whether autistic male has to undergo NS at 18 years. Will medical history and interventions along with assessment reports help explain his conditions for considering exemption or is it mandatory to serve. What implications on mental health and any impact on progression of child development due to this?
Appreciate some experiences as it can be helpful
An autistic person could be highly functional and practically not any different from typical person, or on the opposite pole, with very sever disabilities. If the later, I doubt he will serve. If highly functional, likely yes. Anything in between, up to the doctors (military?) to determine.
Agree. My friend’s son has autism, but he was deemed high functioning and had to serve just like everyone else. Like every other medical condition, whether or not you will be exempted depends on the severity of the condition and in turn your ability to serve.

Sp474q
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 20 May 2021 8:59 am

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by Sp474q » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Is the vocation appropriately assigned and something manageable?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38310
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:58 pm

Yes.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Re: Austism child NS liability exemption

Post by therat » Thu, 20 May 2021 5:04 pm

Sp474q wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 1:53 pm
Thanks for the replies. Is the vocation appropriately assigned and something manageable?
Generally yes.
If he fall into PES E, high chance is clerk, stockman.
It depend which PES he fall in. No one will know.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests