National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
winston.ang
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2021 7:33 pm

National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Post by winston.ang » Wed, 19 May 2021 7:47 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows what is the national service duty for male applicants upon conversion?

I have received in principle approval from ICA 2 weeks ago. I am 36 this year and have obtained my PR in 2009 upon graduation from NUS. ICA sent me an invitation letter for SPR back then and I was not called up for NS upon obtaining SPR. I am a first generation PR in my family. My parents have not hold any SG passes or PR.

I have checked with ICA. They referred me to Central Manpower Base for confirmation but the lady who answered the call did not seem sure as well. After asking for some of my information and checking with her supervisor, she ended the call by saying that they are unable to confirm as I am not an SG citizen yet.

I have checked MFA and NS.SG website as well but they do not seem to have any info on this. I am just wondering if anyone can provide any insights?

Many thanks.
Last edited by winston.ang on Wed, 19 May 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8096
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 May 2021 7:48 pm

you will not have to serve. you will be exempted.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

winston.ang
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2021 7:33 pm

Re: National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Post by winston.ang » Wed, 19 May 2021 7:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 7:48 pm
you will not have to serve. you will be exempted.
Hi PNGMK

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Is it because I will be the first generation of SG citizen or is it due to my age?

Do you know if there is any govt agency that i can confirm this with?
Last edited by winston.ang on Wed, 19 May 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8096
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 19 May 2021 8:08 pm

winston.ang wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 7:55 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 7:48 pm
you will not have to serve. you will be exempted.
Hi PNGMK

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Is it because I will be the first generation of SG citizenship or is it due to my age?

Do you know if there is any govt agency that i can confirm this with?
It's not age (NS is up to 40), more the circumstances by which you acquired SC - as you are a PR FIRST that would have given you the exemption which carries through to becoming a SC.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/PR/apply
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

winston.ang
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2021 7:33 pm

Re: National service duty when converting to SG Citizen

Post by winston.ang » Wed, 19 May 2021 10:00 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 8:08 pm
winston.ang wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 7:55 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 19 May 2021 7:48 pm
you will not have to serve. you will be exempted.
Hi PNGMK

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Is it because I will be the first generation of SG citizenship or is it due to my age?

Do you know if there is any govt agency that i can confirm this with?
It's not age (NS is up to 40), more the circumstances by which you acquired SC - as you are a PR FIRST that would have given you the exemption which carries through to becoming a SC.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/PR/apply
Thank you very much for the info.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests