Singapore Expats

Please advise PR chance for a Vietnamese family - May 2021

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Passenger

Please advise PR chance for a Vietnamese family - May 2021

Post by Passenger » Tue, 18 May 2021 8:50 pm

Hi All,

Could you help to assess my chance of getting PR approval?
Thank you very much in advance

Husband : main applicant
Race : Vietnamese
Length of stay in SG: 5 yrs
Job: Business Director for a MNC and holding EP
Salary : >250 K
Qualification: Bachelor

Wife:
Race: Vietnamese
Length of stay in SG: 5 yrs
Job: LOC holder
Salary: 60K
Qualification : Bachelor

1 girl (12 yrs) and 1 boy (8 yrs), both are studying at local school.

Applied PR 2nd time in Oct 2020, still waiting.
Applied 1st time in 2019 for the whole family, got rejected after almost 12 months.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Please advise PR chance for a Vietnamese family - May 2021

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 19 May 2021 11:20 pm

Salary is good, and good that you have a son, the ICA usually favors applicants with sons because they can serve NS.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 20 May 2021 8:00 am

Most important question is, was there any significant changes between the first and second application? If there were no changes, then the outcome would still be the same. Only re-apply when there are significant changes.

- You have CMIO quota to deal with and the “Others” quota is the smallest quota. When you have many people under “Others” vying for a limited amount of PR positions available, rejections are high.

- Your nationality usually has a tough time getting Singapore PR. You can read through the forum and find that is the case.

- High salary does not mean you will instantly get PR. In fact, it’s a disadvantage as ICA might see that you are likely to fly off to another country when you get a better job offer.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:45 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 8:00 am
Most important question is, was there any significant changes between the first and second application? If there were no changes, then the outcome would still be the same. Only re-apply when there are significant changes.

- You have CMIO quota to deal with and the “Others” quota is the smallest quota. When you have many people under “Others” vying for a limited amount of PR positions available, rejections are high.

- Your nationality usually has a tough time getting Singapore PR. You can read through the forum and find that is the case.

- High salary does not mean you will instantly get PR. In fact, it’s a disadvantage as ICA might see that you are likely to fly off to another country when you get a better job offer.
With regard to the comment about salary, it’s a tight balance. On one hand, a salary that is “too low” shows that you won’t be able to support yourself, while a salary that is “too high” will open you up to the problem you’ve mentioned. So yes, high salary does not mean that PR will be granted, but I do think it helps.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2021 1:57 pm

High salary for our purposes here is usually in the range of $200~250K/pa up to the sky's the limit.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Passenger

Post by Passenger » Thu, 20 May 2021 2:47 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 8:00 am

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please advise what "significant changes" that I can make to get a higher chance?
Aside from job responsibility/title and salary, I can not really change much the other factors such race, age and family status. Just fyi I has been frequent blood donor and financial donor from the day 1 in Singapore.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 20 May 2021 3:17 pm

Passenger wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 2:47 pm
Please advise what "significant changes" that I can make to get a higher chance?
Aside from job responsibility/title and salary, I can not really change much the other factors such race, age and family status. Just fyi I has been frequent blood donor and financial donor from the day 1 in Singapore.
“Significant changes” usually refers to change in occupation/salary/marital status.

Donations of any kind has been abused by another nationality in the past (you can look through the forum and easily figure out which one) and ICA frankly, does not really look at donations now.

We don’t know what is ICA guidelines. We will never know and can only guess. All applications are on case by case basis. We can only infer that ICA prefers people who are likely to remain committed to SG in the long term and take up citizenship.

Integration with locals is also important. How ICA measures that, who knows?

Passenger

Post by Passenger » Thu, 20 May 2021 3:41 pm

Thank you

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 20 May 2021 6:07 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 3:17 pm
Passenger wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 2:47 pm
Integration with locals is also important. How ICA measures that, who knows?
Stable marriage to a local is the most obvious one.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 20 May 2021 6:41 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 6:07 pm
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. There are stories of foreigner spouses not being able to get PR after so many years despite being married to a Singaporean and having Singaporean children.

ICA is also wary about sham marriages aka marriage of convenience.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 20 May 2021 6:46 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 6:41 pm
smoulder wrote:
Thu, 20 May 2021 6:07 pm
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. There are stories of foreigner spouses not being able to get PR after so many years despite being married to a Singaporean and having Singaporean children.

ICA is also wary about sham marriages aka marriage of convenience.
Agreed. Nothing is guaranteed. Obviously sham marriages are a no no. For the other examples that you mentioned, there could have been other factors as well. Obviously, we won't really know what exactly those are.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 May 2021 8:56 pm

For VN peoples, Singapore is and always has been wary since the 1960s. Why their paranoia I don't know except it is rooted in the VN war and the old domino theory. It's no excuse for it today. But, old habits die hard. It's getting better, but it is very slow. I'd be more wary of PRCs personally.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers