Singapore Expats

High cholesterol

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

High cholesterol

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 1:47 pm

I always wonder is it high cholesterol is usually caused by consumption too much seafood? People whom I know who had high cholesterol don't really eat a lot of seafood..till i read this CNA article, which is another culprit - fried chicken..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cn ... e-14764882
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: High cholesterol

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 17 May 2021 6:03 pm

No, unlikely to be only seafood. and not all seafood is bad, but like sucking prawn heads is bad.
most likely it is for eating lot of deep fried food, butter and bacon etc, so called bad fats. It is seldom one food item only but the general diet and type of fats that contribute to it.

Personally I have to say I don't even understand eating deep fried food with that extra layer of batter on top of it, it's so greasy that it becomes disgusting to ruin chicken wings that way. The BBQ wings they sell at hawker centers, that's much more for my taste, at least you can still taste the chicken skin and marinade.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 17 May 2021 6:17 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 1:47 pm
I always wonder is it high cholesterol is usually caused by consumption too much seafood? People whom I know who had high cholesterol don't really eat a lot of seafood..till i read this CNA article, which is another culprit - fried chicken..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cn ... e-14764882
Even if the person consumes less unhealthy fats, some of the other items that he consumes like excess carbo can turn into fat. Happened for me and my doctor advised to cut down carbo and increase exercise. Did that and now all within normal range. So it is not just the unhealthy fat that we consume.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:08 am

The issue is that fried foods are loaded with calories and can contain trans fats, which makes them high-cholesterol and can increase heart disease risk and be detrimental to your health in many other ways.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 07 Oct 2022 3:42 am

Is high cholesterol even bad. trig is bad and high Tg/hdl is bad.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 07 Apr 2023 6:56 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Fri, 07 Oct 2022 3:42 am
Is high cholesterol even bad. trig is bad and high Tg/hdl is bad.
As of what I know you need reasonable HDL and need to lower your LDL and Triglycerides. To lower LDL and TG you need to increase your HDL via food and exercise

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 07 Apr 2023 8:17 pm

My bad cholesterol has never been high, but my good cholesterol could be better (I need to exercise more).

Here are a few things I do to try and stay healthy:

1. Avoid anything that says partially hydrogenated oil in the ingredients, which produces trans fat — the worst offender for heart disease, no amount is safe.

2. Only use real butter, never margarine or spreads.

3. Only use real soap (key ingredients should be oil or fat, plus lye and water) and never any with SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) which strips away your skins natural defenses from the sun.

4. Only use deodorant without aluminum and parabens, which increase the risk of cancer.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

YYCole
Regular
Regular

Post by YYCole » Sat, 08 Apr 2023 9:37 am

"3. Only use real soap (key ingredients should be oil or fat, plus lye and water) and never any with SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) which strips away your skins natural defenses from the sun."

Thanks for this!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Sep 2023 3:13 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 07 Apr 2023 8:17 pm
My bad cholesterol has never been high, but my good cholesterol could be better (I need to exercise more).

Here are a few things I do to try and stay healthy:

1. Avoid anything that says partially hydrogenated oil in the ingredients, which produces trans fat — the worst offender for heart disease, no amount is safe.

2. Only use real butter, never margarine or spreads.

3. Only use real soap (key ingredients should be oil or fat, plus lye and water) and never any with SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) which strips away your skins natural defenses from the sun.

4. Only use deodorant without aluminum and parabens, which increase the risk of cancer.
I've recently read about glycolic acid being a pretty effective deodorant, the brand the ordinary sells it for pretty cheap here in the US.