Singapore Expats

38 new community cases (highest in more than a year)

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

38 new community cases (highest in more than a year)

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 1:42 pm

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: 38 new community cases (highest in more than a year)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 May 2021 5:42 pm

Not a surprise. I've been saying for 6 months that Singapore is backing herself into a corner she's not going to be able to get out of.. The rest of the world is taking it as endemic, singapore insists on trying to obtain zero infections which is like
Damnwind.jpg
The world doesn't need Singapore, but Singapore needs the world and soon she will have no access.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 21 May 2021 9:25 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 5:42 pm
The world doesn't need Singapore, but Singapore needs the world and soon she will have no access.
Judging by the SHN numbers, arrivals dropped 60% in the past 1½ week since the work pass Entry Approval freeze, specific country arrival bans & 3 week quarantine.

So, yeah...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 22 May 2021 5:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 5:42 pm
Not a surprise. I've been saying for 6 months that Singapore is backing herself into a corner she's not going to be able to get out of.. The rest of the world is taking it as endemic, singapore insists on trying to obtain zero infections which is like Damnwind.jpg

Well said.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Mon, 24 May 2021 1:05 am

I still occasionally lurk here to see how life is in Singapore. I left in 2013 after spending 25 years there. I was sad to hear that all the teachers at my old school have to stay in Singapore this summer after not being able to travel to their home country last summer.

The pandemic here in the US has revealed how we take our selfish personal freedoms to the extreme where we criticize masks and in some states refuse to wear them. I admire Singaporeans for working together for the common good. I do understand the frustration, however, when you have 38 new cases and the whole country closes down. Nevertheless, it's working together!

Here in the States we celebrate having under 20,000 new cases and 500 daily deaths. At least I can see a time when this is over. I used to regularly pop up to Vancouver, Canada to see friends. The border has been locked down for more than 14 months now.

Please take care, Singapore.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 May 2021 12:20 pm

RobSg wrote:
Mon, 24 May 2021 1:05 am
I still occasionally lurk here to see how life is in Singapore. I left in 2013 after spending 25 years there. I was sad to hear that all the teachers at my old school have to stay in Singapore this summer after not being able to travel to their home country last summer.

The pandemic here in the US has revealed how we take our selfish personal freedoms to the extreme where we criticize masks and in some states refuse to wear them. I admire Singaporeans for working together for the common good. I do understand the frustration, however, when you have 38 new cases and the whole country closes down. Nevertheless, it's working together!

Here in the States we celebrate having under 20,000 new cases and 500 daily deaths. At least I can see a time when this is over. I used to regularly pop up to Vancouver, Canada to see friends. The border has been locked down for more than 14 months now.

Please take care, Singapore.
I typically visit Miami twice a year, for a month or two each time, when my daughter is off from school. Since the pandemic, we haven’t been able to make it there in nearly 2 years. It’s nice to see the vaccinations coming along quickly but I hope the mask mandate can be reinstated in all states just like here in Singapore. Hopefully things will go back to normal once more people are vaccinated.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 May 2021 1:05 pm

Hey Rob, glad to see you are good. Nice of you to pop in now & again. Yeah, I missed my 55th class reunion in 2020. Hoping for 60th in a few more years. I now have 3 g-kids here. Both of my are married, the boy & his wife gave us a little girl 5 months ago. Hope all is well with the strangeness happening over there. Be safe, not sorry. Cheers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers