Singapore Expats

Government closing all schools

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Government closing all schools

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:47 am

Hi everyone, I’m sure many of you have seen the recent notice announcing the closure of all schools until the beginning of June. My worry is how this will affect those taking their national exams at the end of the year. My daughter will be sitting for her A levels in November, and I’m worried that impersonal “remote-learning” will carry on well past June.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Government closing all schools

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 17 May 2021 8:52 am

I think that is what the loud parents have been asking over the weekend.

been a exciting weekend for my family too, waiting to move to quarantine hotel with my son, whose school had 2 covid cases (from tuition centers, not from the school if I may point out). But anyway, now approximately 200 (primary school kids and teachers) plus parents from my son's school alone are moving into quarantine hotels. Massive operation with the 6 other schools with cases, and from the discussions in parents whatsapp groups I can only guess what a relaxing weekend MOE and MOH staff have had.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 9:20 am

😭😭 Home based learning... Here we go again..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 11:34 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 8:52 am

been a exciting weekend for my family too, waiting to move to quarantine hotel with my son, whose school had 2 covid cases (from tuition centers, not from the school if I may point out). But anyway, now approximately 200 (primary school kids and teachers) plus parents from my son's school alone are moving into quarantine hotels. Massive operation with the 6 other schools with cases, and from the discussions in parents whatsapp groups I can only guess what a relaxing weekend MOE and MOH staff have had.
Can only imagine the admin work that is required to facilitate such an operation. Does your whole family have to move in to quarantine with him?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 11:35 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 9:20 am
😭😭 Home based learning... Here we go again..
Yes... we are all dreading it. Hope that classes will be able to run smoothly and the kids will still be able to learn.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 17 May 2021 3:06 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 11:34 am
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 8:52 am

Can only imagine the admin work that is required to facilitate such an operation. Does your whole family have to move in to quarantine with him?
No, just one parent. Other stays at home with other kids in most cases, as the rest only gets LOAs.