Singapore Expats

Suitable property in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Arif246

Suitable property in Singapore

Post by Arif246 » Sun, 16 May 2021 11:55 am

Hi All
I am moving to Singapore from Hong Kong with my wife and two kids(son 4 years, daughter 2 years) in 2 months. We are looking for a kids friendly condo (with 4/5 bedrooms) near Newton MRT. Looking for your kind suggestions.
We want to live in the city, but in a family and kids friendly neighbourhood, that’s why selected Newton, please advise if anywhere else will be more suitable than Newton.

Thanks a million in advance for your kind guidance.
Regards
Arif

dupontdc

Re: Suitable property in Singapore

Post by dupontdc » Sun, 16 May 2021 12:50 pm

Most of the condos here have very good facilities compared to the same rental paid in Hong Kong. You may want to consider whether the location is convenient for your work and children going to school. If you want to be closed to the shopping area, you may also consider River Valley and Orchard as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 May 2021 3:56 pm

You can also consider River Valley. Very kid friendly, and prices are much better than Newton or Orchard.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 16 May 2021 10:18 pm

I was looking at Newton as well previously, viewed the area and a few condos, here's my thoughts on the location.

Pros
1. Near malls, usually walking distance to 2-3 malls but no shelter
2. Near eateries
3. Near Novena/Newton MRT, depending on which side you're closer to
4. 5 mins drive to Orchard/1-2 MRT stops to Orchard
5. Near Bukit Timah and it's rather central
6. Near Tan Tock Seng Hospital if you need to visit the hospital

Cons
1. Very saturated, too many condo blocks in the same area, very dense and packed
2. Condos are packed v closely
3. A lot of condo construction noise
4. Some condos are facing roads, so it's very noisy
5. Doesn't quite have the homely estate feel to me..
6. Roads there can be very busy especially during peak hours

Other areas :
- Bt Timah - a bit more serene depending on which condo, near Botanic Gardens
- Holland village area - convenient with nice vibes, but not many condos there..
- Buona vista area - nice vibes, new mall, near eateries and restaurants and MRT, not many condos there though

Hope this helps.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Sun, 16 May 2021 11:18 pm

Dear @dupontdc @lisafuller @abby Many Thanks for your kind response.
Is there any MRT station near River Valley area? After living in Hong Kong for many years, can’t commute without it. :)
Is there any good condo near Buona Vista MRT? Did you like any condo in botanic gardens area?
Another concern is, I am looking for comparatively bigger space (2500 sqf above, 4-5 bedrooms). But i heard its not too common size for Condo. And I don’t want to go for Bungalow.
How is Orange Grove road and Nassim Road area? Stevens? Will be better than Newton?
Off topic: I wouldn’t mind bit higher rent if the place is convenient and kids friendly.
Thanks for your kind support as always. 🙏

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:25 am

Arif246 wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 11:18 pm
Is there any MRT station near River Valley area? After living in Hong Kong for many years, can’t commute without it. :)
Is there any good condo near Buona Vista MRT? Did you like any condo in botanic gardens area?
Another concern is, I am looking for comparatively bigger space (2500 sqf above, 4-5 bedrooms). But i heard its not too common size for Condo. And I don’t want to go for Bungalow.
How is Orange Grove road and Nassim Road area? Stevens? Will be better than Newton?
Off topic: I wouldn’t mind bit higher rent if the place is convenient and kids friendly.
The nearest stop to River Valley road is Fort Canning station.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 1:29 pm

Stevens road/Orange grove does have some large condo units, however not so near to MRT, but it's a quiet area. For buona vista, not many condos, those I saw were the rochester which is next to the star vista mall and BV MRT and One north residences which is also quite near the Mall and One North MRT.

I didn't see any condos along Botanic Gardens, but along Holland there's some condos like Serenade were quite modern and nice.

You can consider the slightly older built condos (built around 2000-2010), they are usually larger in interior and have bigger rooms than newer condos.

Along river valley, older condo like valley park is near the great world mrt and mall, but layout is quite strange. Newer ones are like tribeca and cosmopolitan, all very near MRT. Nice location very central and has many good food and amenities.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Mon, 17 May 2021 4:55 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:25 am
Arif246 wrote:
Thanks a lot

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Mon, 17 May 2021 5:04 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 1:29 pm
Stevens road/Orange grove does have some large condo units, however not so near to MRT, but it's a quiet area. For buona vista, not many condos, those I saw were the rochester which is next to the star vista mall and BV MRT and One north residences which is also quite near the Mall and One North MRT.

I didn't see any condos along Botanic Gardens, but along Holland there's some condos like Serenade were quite modern and nice.

You can consider the slightly older built condos (built around 2000-2010), they are usually larger in interior and have bigger rooms than newer condos.

Along river valley, older condo like valley park is near the great world mrt and mall, but layout is quite strange. Newer ones are like tribeca and cosmopolitan, all very near MRT. Nice location very central and has many good food and amenities.
Thanks for your detailed response. Really appreciate your kind comments. I want to stay near the facilities including MRT, but in a comparatively less chaotic and more kids friendly environment. That made my search bit tricky. :) I Checked some of the condos you mentioned, some don’t have larger unit, some not available for rent. :(
I am thinking I will extend my search to Newton/Stevens/Botanic Gardens/Holland Road/Orange Grove Road/ Great Wall MRT/ Fort Canning MRT/Buona Vista
I am moving out of China/HK after 20+ years, that’s why it’s been difficult to make the right choice for everything. :(

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 7:59 pm

Do you have an indication of your budget and work place location? So i can try to assess which condos would be ideal..

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:02 am

Arif246 wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 4:55 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:25 am
Arif246 wrote:
Thanks a lot
No worries, hope you’re able to find a nice place.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:04 am

abbby wrote:

Yes, the older condos are typically larger and more comfortable. New condo units are often under 1000 sq ft which can be very suffocating (although since you’re coming from Hong Kong I doubt that will be too big of an adjustment).

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Tue, 18 May 2021 11:10 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 7:59 pm
Do you have an indication of your budget and work place location? So i can try to assess which condos would be ideal..
My main work place will be in Shenzhen, I am planning to visit HK/Shenzhen 8-10 days per month and I will be working from home in Singapore. That’s why larger space is very important for me.

My kids school is not fixed yet, it will be either in Bukit Timah, or Dempsey Hill or Dover. Therefore I am looking for a comparatively central place so I won’t have to change house if my kids change their school (or two kids go to two different schools). MRT/Supermarkets/some eateries within walking distance will make our lives easier. And if kids can play in the neighbourhood or park nearby.

My initial target budget is 10-12K or max 15-18k/month.

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Tue, 18 May 2021 11:13 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:04 am
abbby wrote:

Yes, the older condos are typically larger and more comfortable. New condo units are often under 1000 sq ft which can be very suffocating (although since you’re coming from Hong Kong I doubt that will be too big of an adjustment).
In HK we live in 1087 sqf(net) apartment and we are not very happy with the house, but its in a very convenient location, its close of everything (MRT, kids school, parks, supermarket, wet markets, lots of shopping, most of things work can be done within walking distance)

Arif246

Post by Arif246 » Tue, 18 May 2021 11:14 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:04 am
abbby wrote:

In HK we live in 1087 sqf(net) apartment and we are not very happy with the house, but its in a very convenient location, its close of everything (MRT, kids school, parks, supermarket, wet markets, lots of shopping, most of things can be done within walking distance)