Singapore Expats

ROM with WP Foreigner

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
JustinYJJ

ROM with WP Foreigner

Post by JustinYJJ » Sun, 16 May 2021 10:43 am

I am trying to tie the knot with my fiance, who is a WP foreigner currently working in Singapore.

I have already gotten MOM approval for marriage, and also the PMLA approval from ICA.

The next step would be to ROM. We intend to do the solemnization at ROM, however, I am having difficulty finding what are the required steps for ROM.

From what I have read so far, these are the required steps:
1) Search for a solemnizer - This can be found on the List of Licensed Solemnizers site in ROM
1.1) Do I just SMS/Call the guy to ask if he is available for solemnization on our preferred date?

2) File a notice of marriage - This has to be done 21 days to 3 months before the date of solemnization
2.1) We intend to ROM in Sept, 3 months before is June, but I see that some dates in Sept are already booked out, how is this possible? https://imgur.com/a/8bxwR0F

3) Go down to ROM for Verification of Documents/Statuary Delcaration
3.1) Marriage Preparation Programme (MPP) can be done concurrently at this point? Is the MPP compulsory?

4) Go down to ROM for solemnization with solemnizer on specified date

Are these steps correct?
Sorry for all these questions, but I am having trouble finding information online :cry:

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: ROM with WP Foreigner

Post by therat » Sun, 16 May 2021 2:22 pm

JustinYJJ wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 10:43 am
I am trying to tie the knot with my fiance, who is a WP foreigner currently working in Singapore.

I have already gotten MOM approval for marriage, and also the PMLA approval from ICA.

The next step would be to ROM. We intend to do the solemnization at ROM, however, I am having difficulty finding what are the required steps for ROM.

1) Search for a solemnizer - This can be found on the List of Licensed Solemnizers site in ROM
1.1) Do I just SMS/Call the guy to ask if he is available for solemnization on our preferred date?

2) File a notice of marriage - This has to be done 21 days to 3 months before the date of solemnization
2.1) We intend to ROM in Sept, 3 months before is June, but I see that some dates in Sept are already booked out, how is this possible? https://imgur.com/a/8bxwR0F

3.1) Marriage Preparation Programme (MPP) can be done concurrently at this point? Is the MPP compulsory?

Are these steps correct?
Sorry for all these questions, but I am having trouble finding information online :cry:
You want to do your solemnizations in ROM building or your place?

reply to 3.1
https://va.ecitizen.gov.sg/cfp/customer ... refaq.aspx
The Marriage Preparation Programme (MPP) is not compulsory but we encourage all marrying couples to attend marriage preparation programme.

The MPP will be beneficial to you as you will learn tips on building and sustaining a strong relationship with your fiancee and his/her family. In addition, the foreign spouse can learn more about Singapore and understand the issues relating to settling down in Singapore.

Further, if you decide to apply for Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) in future, one of the requirements is the attendance of the MPP.

==================
everything can be found online and ask Jamie@ROM is there.

My girlfriend 20 yrs old dau who marry a WP on her 21 yrs old birthday day, can able to source that out without getting help from her parents. I dont understand.. is it very complicated?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 17 May 2021 7:46 am

1.1. Yes, you should sms/email/call a lot of solemnisers as some of them are already booked 6 months in advance. You should start the search now, IMO. I started my search almost 9 months in advance and many of them were booked out on the day I was getting married. I was surprised too.

2.1. I don’t know how to answer that as I didn’t solemnise at ROM. Maybe it’s the COVID situation. Maybe it’s something else. You can always contact ROM to clarify.

3.1. Usually it’s MPP in the morning followed by VD/SD after that. Some spouse nationalities requires you to attend both MPP and MSP (marriage support programme) in order to get LTVP approved.

My husband is American and so MPP was “highly encouraged”. We attended it anyway, it’s free, and we found some stuff useful. MSP is not free by the way.

Take note VD/SD requires both of you to read a super long oath in English in front of the ROM staff. If your spouse-to-be needs a translator, better get one.

4. Correct. Bring all your documents with you and the two witnesses as well.

JustinYJJ

Post by JustinYJJ » Mon, 17 May 2021 7:58 am

therat wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 2:22 pm
JustinYJJ wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 10:43 am

Are these steps correct?
You want to do your solemnizations in ROM building or your place?

reply to 3.1
https://va.ecitizen.gov.sg/cfp/customer ... refaq.aspx
The Marriage Preparation Programme (MPP) is not compulsory but we encourage all marrying couples to attend marriage preparation programme.

The MPP will be beneficial to you as you will learn tips on building and sustaining a strong relationship with your fiancee and his/her family. In addition, the foreign spouse can learn more about Singapore and understand the issues relating to settling down in Singapore.

Further, if you decide to apply for Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP) in future, one of the requirements is the attendance of the MPP.

==================
everything can be found online and ask Jamie@ROM is there.

My girlfriend 20 yrs old dau who marry a WP on her 21 yrs old birthday day, can able to source that out without getting help from her parents. I dont understand.. is it very complicated?
Yes we intent to do our solemnizations in ROM building. Understand that the MPP may be compulsory in obtaining LTVP.

Thank you very much! :D

JustinYJJ

Post by JustinYJJ » Mon, 17 May 2021 8:02 am

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 7:46 am
1.1. Yes, you should sms/email/call a lot of solemnisers as some of them are already booked 6 months in advance. You should start the search now, IMO. I started my search almost 9 months in advance and many of them were booked out on the day I was getting married. I was surprised too.

2.1. I don’t know how to answer that as I didn’t solemnise at ROM. Maybe it’s the COVID situation. Maybe it’s something else. You can always contact ROM to clarify.

3.1. Usually it’s MPP in the morning followed by VD/SD after that. Some spouse nationalities requires you to attend both MPP and MSP (marriage support programme) in order to get LTVP approved.

My husband is American and so MPP was “highly encouraged”. We attended it anyway, it’s free, and we found some stuff useful. MSP is not free by the way.

Take note VD/SD requires both of you to read a super long oath in English in front of the ROM staff. If your spouse-to-be needs a translator, better get one.

4. Correct. Bring all your documents with you and the two witnesses as well.
Thank you very much for the answers!

Do we need to pre-register for the MPP? Or can we just request for it on the day of the VD/SD? I see on the MSF website that it is a 2.5hr programme held at ROM on the day of document verification, but no link to register.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 17 May 2021 9:47 am

JustinYJJ wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 8:02 am
Do we need to pre-register for the MPP? Or can we just request for it on the day of the VD/SD? I see on the MSF website that it is a 2.5hr programme held at ROM on the day of document verification, but no link to register.
When you make an appointment for VD/SD, they’ll ask if you want to register for MPP as well. So you just register your interest.

MPP was in the morning for me, there was a light lunch provided after that (this was pre-COVID), then we verified the documents after lunch.

JustinYJJ

Post by JustinYJJ » Tue, 18 May 2021 10:18 am

MOCHS wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 9:47 am
When you make an appointment for VD/SD, they’ll ask if you want to register for MPP as well. So you just register your interest.

MPP was in the morning for me, there was a light lunch provided after that (this was pre-COVID), then we verified the documents after lunch.
Thank you very much!

faberc

Post by faberc » Tue, 25 May 2021 8:07 pm