Singapore Expats

Racist on MRT terrorizing minorities

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Racist on MRT terrorizing minorities

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 May 2021 1:06 am

Has anyone heard about this lady Beow Tan? I’ve seen tons of videos of her on the MRTs, buses, and in malls openly targeting minorities and using tons of hate speech. From what my daughter tells me, the younger generation now treats her as somewhat of a “Pokémon”, and go out of their way to be on the train at stops which she is known to frequent in the hopes of seeing her. She’s pretty ridiculous- she carries around her phone with prepared PowerPoint presentations on her family and why minorities are so far below her.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Racist on MRT terrorizing minorities

Post by smoulder » Sun, 16 May 2021 1:45 am

I think I did come across something on YouTube that fits the description. I didn't really pay much attention and clicked right past it. I didn't realize that she's that famous.

I think there are a lot of people like her around. The only thing is that she's more forthcoming and vocal about her opinion.
Last edited by smoulder on Sun, 16 May 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Sun, 16 May 2021 7:45 am

There’s red necks in every country.

Most are minority, but occasionally it turned into a majority (majority party) like we have seen/still seeing in some countries.

Ask a ethnic minority in each country you know, and you can hear all about it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:38 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 1:45 am
I think I did come across something on YouTube that fits the description. I didn't really pay much attention and clicked right past it. I didn't realize that she's that famous.

I think there are a lot of people like her around. The only thing is that she's more forthcoming and vocal about her opinion.
She’s become somewhat of a sensation as of late. I don’t agree with any of the nonsense she says, but I do believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The problem is the way she went about expressing her opinion.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:40 am

the observer wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 7:45 am
There’s red necks in every country.

Most are minority, but occasionally it turned into a majority (majority party) like we have seen/still seeing in some countries.

Ask a ethnic minority in each country you know, and you can hear all about it.
I just would have expected the government to be more strict in enforcing their anti hate speech policy.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 17 May 2021 2:02 pm

She seems to be able to get away every time?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 17 May 2021 2:08 pm

Not sure about that, she lost her job.
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 17 May 2021 2:52 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:38 am
smoulder wrote:

She’s become somewhat of a sensation as of late. I don’t agree with any of the nonsense she says, but I do believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The problem is the way she went about expressing her opinion.
If you ask me, the way that she expresses her opinions is just a matter of "feeling offended" or not which is a very vague and ambiguous concept. Not so concerning in my opinion.

The more important thing for me are the more tangible ways that how she and people like her put their opinions into practice and make life difficult for the minorities. Example of making life difficult -
1. Their kids are indoctrinated with racism and they bully minorities at school
2. They make it difficult for minorities who are trying to find apartments to rent
3. When they are hiring managers, they negatively and unfairly influence hiring.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:13 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 2:02 pm
She seems to be able to get away every time?
She’s been cornered by police while at MRT stations quite a few times but has gotten off scot-free each time. Not sure why.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:14 am

tiktok wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 2:08 pm
Yes, apparently she used to be a property agent. Not sure how she went so long without people finding out about her behavior.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 12:16 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 2:52 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:38 am
smoulder wrote:

If you ask me, the way that she expresses her opinions is just a matter of "feeling offended" or not which is a very vague and ambiguous concept. Not so concerning in my opinion.

The more important thing for me are the more tangible ways that how she and people like her put their opinions into practice and make life difficult for the minorities. Example of making life difficult -
1. Their kids are indoctrinated with racism and they bully minorities at school
2. They make it difficult for minorities who are trying to find apartments to rent
3. When they are hiring managers, they negatively and unfairly influence hiring.
Agreed, but I also think the governments’ inaction sets a very negative precedent.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 18 May 2021 6:36 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:14 am
tiktok wrote:
Yes, apparently she used to be a property agent. Not sure how she went so long without people finding out about her behavior.
Property agents are at the forefront of racism in Singapore - related to one of the points I mentioned above. It's not only the landlords who are guilty of discriminatory behavior, it's also many of the the agents. They start to become advocates of why (let's be blunt) Indian and PRC tenants are no good.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 May 2021 11:28 am

oh man. please lady mouth off at me and my adopted kid just once... please.... make my day.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 2:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 11:28 am
oh man. please lady mouth off at me and my adopted kid just once... please.... make my day.
I would give her a real piece of my mind, thats for sure.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 18 May 2021 2:02 pm

smoulder wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 6:36 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 18 May 2021 12:14 am
tiktok wrote:
Property agents are at the forefront of racism in Singapore - related to one of the points I mentioned above. It's not only the landlords who are guilty of discriminatory behavior, it's also many of the the agents. They start to become advocates of why (let's be blunt) Indian and PRC tenants are no good.
True. I’m glad she no longer holds the position she used to.