Singapore Expats

New covid19 regulations

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: New covid19 regulations

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 May 2021 1:48 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 1:29 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 14 May 2021 4:50 pm
And no benefits for the vaccinated.
Ridiculous! In America, those who are fully vaccinated can now leave the house without a mask. Life is really going back to normal there but somehow we seem to be moving backwards here.
After the massive goof up and humanitarian disaster that America went through, dont you think they are being reckless to allow people to go out with a mask, when sizable population is yet to be vaccinated?

I would any day prefer SG, with the way they have managed. I absolutely dont mind staying lockdown if that is the price to pay for zero deaths. I went for grocery shopping today in a wet market and I cant tell you how shit scared I was, getting near to people. The density of population in SG is crazy, it is not like America, where everything is spread out and everyone has their own car. Here, it is so easy to bump into people all the time, so extra caution is necessary.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 May 2021 1:55 pm

[Sent by Gov.sg – 15 May]
Clarifications on group size
➡️ Social gathering group sizes will be reduced from 5 to 2 pax from 16 May

➡️ Some flexibility for family members who need to move in bigger groups (>2 pax), especially those with young children or elderly parents
➡️ e.g. to go for medical appts, attend classes, go to work in same vehicle

➡️ People from different households who use public amenities (e.g. playgrounds) should keep to groups of 2
[..]

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sat, 15 May 2021 2:18 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Ridiculous! In America, those who are fully vaccinated can now leave the house without a mask. Life is really going back to normal there but somehow we seem to be moving backwards here.
Oh yes, how many died in the US again?

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 15 May 2021 4:10 pm

Now I did get a car , luckily right before the Pandemic and it changed my experience. I do work at a FAANG company and I do feel going to office and collaborating is so important for furthering one's knowledge. How else can you become a better Engineer/Scientist if you dont learn from others.

Also, with the complexity of work, no one can do it on their own. So, my biggest frustration is that a lack of collaboration has slowed gaining knowledge and productivity. Even if you can do meetings online, unless you meet socially , u dont build trust and then u end up pretending to collaborate with people who u r competing with.

But, I can imagine for most people, work is just a job and not necessarily driven by a desire to improve knowledge or a long term career. For me, the more money I have , the more independent I am, the better I want to be at my work.But I guess its a minority view.
Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 1:22 pm
midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 12:24 pm
WFH would depend on company culture. Even before pandemic I had flexibility in hours and occasional WFH. I believe that people shd work in office one half of the day for focus and do all meetings etc from home the other half.
If I had my own personal transport, it would have been a joy to drive/ride to office. But to go in the herd of people in an MRT spend 1hr each way, no thanks! The amount of time saved and then I can take a power nap in the afternoon, have hot freshly prepared lunch along with my wife and daughter. All this is invaluable to me.

At 5pm sharp I am done and I am free if I WFH. Sometimes I am done much earlier and it is just me multi-tasking on my laptop between work and fun as they are just 2 different applications on the same laptop.

Going to office is so 20th century, in my opinion, when you need to be dedicated 9-6, just to work. That kind of dedication is not necessary anymore, in knowledge work industry. We should be allowed to mix work and play and that you cant do in office, unless you work for Google and have sleeping pods etc.

Think about this, you could have beer for lunch if you are working from home. You can never do it in an office setting.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 May 2021 6:18 pm

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 4:10 pm
Now I did get a car , luckily right before the Pandemic and it changed my experience. I do work at a FAANG company and I do feel going to office and collaborating is so important for furthering one's knowledge. How else can you become a better Engineer/Scientist if you dont learn from others.

Also, with the complexity of work, no one can do it on their own. So, my biggest frustration is that a lack of collaboration has slowed gaining knowledge and productivity. Even if you can do meetings online, unless you meet socially , u dont build trust and then u end up pretending to collaborate with people who u r competing with.

But, I can imagine for most people, work is just a job and not necessarily driven by a desire to improve knowledge or a long term career. For me, the more money I have , the more independent I am, the better I want to be at my work.But I guess its a minority view.
Indeed, we are both are minority but at opposite extremes. Working in FAANG and data science you are like that 145 IQ guy and me pretending to be a techie working in a bank, but actually doing some mundane admin tasks, is the 55 IQ guy, the rest of the SG workforce are the guys in the middle :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 May 2021 2:24 pm

Something else to clutter up the phone, but handy, I must admit if you are planning on going somewhere on the island.

https://ppvbc.github.io/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sun, 16 May 2021 9:19 pm

Rules change so fast around here, that this will be outdated pretty soon. Schools are closing.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:30 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 1:48 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
After the massive goof up and humanitarian disaster that America went through, dont you think they are being reckless to allow people to go out with a mask, when sizable population is yet to be vaccinated?

I would any day prefer SG, with the way they have managed. I absolutely dont mind staying lockdown if that is the price to pay for zero deaths. I went for grocery shopping today in a wet market and I cant tell you how shit scared I was, getting near to people. The density of population in SG is crazy, it is not like America, where everything is spread out and everyone has their own car. Here, it is so easy to bump into people all the time, so extra caution is necessary.
The mask-free policy is only for those who are fully vaccinated. At the time of this post, nearly half of the population has received at least one dose, while 40% is fully vaccinated. I believe the mask-free policy is safe or the CDC wouldn’t endorse it. Separately, I think it acts as a great incentive for people to get vaccinated as soon as possible.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:31 am

the observer wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 2:18 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Oh yes, how many died in the US again?
That was during the Trump administration. Since Biden has taken over, cases have gone way down and nearly 40% of the population is fully vaccinated.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 17 May 2021 12:35 am

the observer wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 9:19 pm
Rules change so fast around here, that this will be outdated pretty soon. Schools are closing.

What I’m wondering is why the government can impose all these crazy restrictions on us but not close the borders.

Jgrif96229
Regular
Regular

Post by Jgrif96229 » Mon, 17 May 2021 4:02 am

Hair services will be the next to shut down followed by all pools public and private.
Joseph griffin

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 17 May 2021 6:14 am

Jgrif96229 wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 4:02 am
Hair services will be the next to shut down followed by all pools public and private.
Uhhh. My pool keeps me sane.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Mon, 17 May 2021 7:04 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 17 May 2021 12:35 am
the observer wrote:
Sun, 16 May 2021 9:19 pm

What I’m wondering is why the government can impose all these crazy restrictions on us but not close the borders.
Maybe because their Swiss cheese method failed on the latest variant.

It’s more infectious than the Kent variant, and we know the Kent types are more virulent than the original version.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Jun 2021 9:19 pm

I would recommend Pfizer or Moderna. However there is no clear way yet to show you've been vaccinated. There was some discussion about IATA having an App that Singapore may use for verification but that seems to have stalled.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 29 Jun 2021 12:42 am

OldMolases wrote:
Mon, 28 Jun 2021 8:45 pm
If somebody wants to come to Singapore on a business trip, what vaccine should they opt for which is accepted by the Singaporean Government.
Pfizer or Moderna, if you can help it.