Singapore Expats

How to tell a friend to verify facts before sending every single 'news' in whatsapp

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

How to tell a friend to verify facts before sending every single 'news' in whatsapp

Post by abbby » Mon, 10 May 2021 1:37 pm

Please share how can I tell a friend who's very fond of sending 'information' of various health, news, without verifying its facts?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: How to tell a friend to verify facts before sending every single 'news' in whatsapp

Post by therat » Mon, 10 May 2021 4:37 pm

just ignore

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: How to tell a friend to verify facts before sending every single 'news' in whatsapp

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2021 6:41 pm

abbby, welcome to about 98% of all people on the web. It's why factcheckers became a 'thing'.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2021 6:42 pm

OH, I just come out and tell them when they are wrong with a link. If they are only an acquaintance that I don't really know and it a habit, I just block them. (kind of what I done on here).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Mon, 10 May 2021 9:30 pm

What about when you're wrong yourself?
I not troll/wacko/spammer.
Me no expat. Me foreigner.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 May 2021 10:49 pm

As you are the expert there, tell us about it. What DO you do, other than making an ass out of yourself for the past 14 months.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 May 2021 1:58 am

"BS"
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 11 May 2021 7:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 10 May 2021 10:49 pm
As you are the expert there, tell us about it. What DO you do, other than making an ass out of yourself for the past 14 months.
Check the facts, always the facts.

And 14 months is better than however many years you've been on here :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 May 2021 11:39 am

You have been here at our pleasure only. We've long had permission to dump you. But you are a somewhat pathetic troll so we allow you to continue as a lighthearted diversion. Carry on.

tiktok
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiktok » Tue, 11 May 2021 11:59 am

Sure! Since we're on the topic of spreading misinformation, remember this?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most of the casualties you see are law-abiding citizens or tourists that gave the wrong answer to one of the terrorists so, because they are all mindless minions, they gang up on unarmed individuals and beat the crap out of them. They would dare do it one on one as they know they are but mindless kids playing at being bad guys so can only act in mobs. They are being caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Accompanied by a link to BS "news" site criticalspectator.com which thankfully you deleted.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 11 May 2021 2:08 pm

abbby wrote:
Mon, 10 May 2021 1:37 pm
Please share how can I tell a friend who's very fond of sending 'information' of various health, news, without verifying its facts?
If they are random acquaintances I usually ignore them but if they are family or friends I let them know of any inaccuracies and remind them to stop spreading misinformation. The nice thing about being close is not having to worry about offending them, you can just be honest.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sat, 15 May 2021 11:51 am

Bluntly. I have lost many of these "friends" who didn't like me telling them off for spreading bullshit.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 16 May 2021 12:53 am

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 15 May 2021 11:51 am
Bluntly. I have lost many of these "friends" who didn't like me telling them off for spreading bullshit.
A great way to weed out the dummies.