Singapore Expats Forum
 

May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Jgrif96229
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu, 02 May 2013 6:01 am
Location: Singapore

May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by Jgrif96229 » Sat, 01 May 2021 8:13 pm

What a difference in a few weeks. For many months Singapore was controlling community cases. The daily cases were imported ones coming through immigration and put into quarantine.


Now new restrictions are coming into place. Where does everyone see this going? Everyone has been masking and availing themselves of vaccine. What more is there to be done?

Does not bode well for travel and travel bubbles. Staycations till 2023?
Joseph griffin

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by the observer » Sat, 01 May 2021 8:31 pm

Shit happens

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38147
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 May 2021 9:10 pm

It was all just a matter of time. Singapore didn't stand a chance without it's own hinterland. It has to stay open to the world because without it, it cannot survive with no natural resources. They cannot keep it locked down. The mutant varieties will show up here as well even if they are not brought in by others, Those infected here currently will ultimately spawn mutant varieties. That and not having open vaccinations outright but in phases/stages based on age groups was a bad mistake. Front liners and such, correct. But the rest? You need your engines of economy vaccinated before the dead weight (people like me, a baby boomer at the leading edge of the boomers (born in '47). We are retired, why go to extraordinary lengths to vaccinate us when we are no longer contributing to the economy and are actually a drain on the economy.

Herds in the wild always sacrifice the old & lame to ensure the viability of the herd, protect the young, sacrifice the old. Makes sense. Am I hardcore? Yes I am, I'm an old dairy farmer. When the cow no longer can produce enough milk to justify it's feed costs, it provides steaks & hamburger meat.
Spot on Observer :shit:

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by the observer » Sat, 01 May 2021 11:50 pm

SINGAPORE - An 88-year-old Singaporean woman, who was part of the recently-announced Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) cluster, died of Covid-19 on Saturday (May 1).

Just my 2cts.

PAP may have just lost some votes there. (Boomers have always been the gahmen’s vote bank.)

The immediate and extended family of the woman has probably just turned opposition.

And that itself is the bigger ramification that the gahmen has to contend with.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... sitive-for

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38147
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2021 12:03 am

She had a history of cancer, hypertension, congestive cardiac failure, stroke and hyperlipidaemia.
If she was already in the hospital for one of the above, odds are she wouldn't have seen two more years in any case. Covid just shortened the suffering the way I see it. (Yes, I've had an AMD for more than 35 years - in case you are wondering). No invasive mechanical intervention of any kind.

But, yeah, you are right. Most here tend to vote in knee-jerk fashion without thinking things through. Had they done so, we would never have lost Aljunied to the WP.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 May 2021 12:33 am

It is a bit ironic, but my company had just started asking us to come back to office every other week and I had just completed 1 week in office and absolutely hated it and now this happened and this is exactly what the govt said "Employers should allow employees to WFH where possible"

Note the usage of the word "allow", which I find is very honest, it is like nobody likes to go to office, and if people are "allowed" 90% of the people wouldnt go to office.

Why cant employers always "allow" people to WFH whenever they want? It is clear by now that WFH is actually great for both employer and employees, then why use it only when the covid cases rise?

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by midlet2013 » Sun, 02 May 2021 1:09 am

I think companies are just following guidelines. 50% split work policy was recommended. However, with sudden change, we have been asked to stay home at least 2 more weeks.

As far as working from home is concerned, it mite effect productivity and in general, sanity. If 90% people think WFH is better, then something is wrong with work place.
Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 12:33 am
It is a bit ironic, but my company had just started asking us to come back to office every other week and I had just completed 1 week in office and absolutely hated it and now this happened and this is exactly what the govt said "Employers should allow employees to WFH where possible"

Note the usage of the word "allow", which I find is very honest, it is like nobody likes to go to office, and if people are "allowed" 90% of the people wouldnt go to office.

Why cant employers always "allow" people to WFH whenever they want? It is clear by now that WFH is actually great for both employer and employees, then why use it only when the covid cases rise?

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 02 May 2021 1:24 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 1:09 am
I think companies are just following guidelines. 50% split work policy was recommended. However, with sudden change, we have been asked to stay home at least 2 more weeks.

As far as working from home is concerned, it mite effect productivity and in general, sanity. If 90% people think WFH is better, then something is wrong with work place.
Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 12:33 am
It is a bit ironic, but my company had just started asking us to come back to office every other week and I had just completed 1 week in office and absolutely hated it and now this happened and this is exactly what the govt said "Employers should allow employees to WFH where possible"

Note the usage of the word "allow", which I find is very honest, it is like nobody likes to go to office, and if people are "allowed" 90% of the people wouldnt go to office.

Why cant employers always "allow" people to WFH whenever they want? It is clear by now that WFH is actually great for both employer and employees, then why use it only when the covid cases rise?
90% of people are working only because they need to put food on the table. If they had enough money they wouldnt even go to work in the 1st place. So it is normal. In the bank I work, I am yet to see anyone who prefers to come to office, even middle managers prefer to work from home. It is only the top boss and couple of his yes men who would love to see people back in office.

I mean, why not give people the choice and then see what they prefer? If people really feel their sanity will go for a toss, they should be welcome to go to office, but why force everyone else and assume that working in office is the only normal?

The worst part is the bloody preposterous emails we get from management when the covid rules were relaxed; "I am sure you guys will be glad to be able to see more of your colleagues in office" Yeah right! If I had my way, I would make some of them disappear out of this galaxy and never have to see them ever again.

Edit: BTW, Nice to see you are still around :). Where is that guy Rajagainstthemachine, Ecureilx, The Lynx, ZZM and JR8?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38147
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 May 2021 2:18 am

Raj is around, but not normally on the board, see him occasionally, Ecu no idea, The Lynx is married now and doesn't frequent the board anymore, ZZM not sure at the moment (might be back in Cali) and JR8 we just found out a couple of weeks ago, is back in Blighty.

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by the observer » Sun, 02 May 2021 9:29 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 12:33 am
It is a bit ironic, but my company had just started asking us to come back to office every other week and I had just completed 1 week in office and absolutely hated it and now this happened and this is exactly what the govt said "Employers should allow employees to WFH where possible"

Note the usage of the word "allow", which I find is very honest, it is like nobody likes to go to office, and if people are "allowed" 90% of the people wouldnt go to office.

Why cant employers always "allow" people to WFH whenever they want? It is clear by now that WFH is actually great for both employer and employees, then why use it only when the covid cases rise?
Because it’s your line manager and those above him/her’s wet dream/grandiose plan to keep their relevance, and to grow their responsibilities.

If the department of yours got moved to Siberia, I don’t think your line manager would want to follow the role.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 02 May 2021 5:13 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 1:24 am
midlet2013 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 1:09 am
I think companies are just following guidelines. 50% split work policy was recommended. However, with sudden change, we have been asked to stay home at least 2 more weeks.

As far as working from home is concerned, it mite effect productivity and in general, sanity. If 90% people think WFH is better, then something is wrong with work place.
Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 12:33 am
It is a bit ironic, but my company had just started asking us to come back to office every other week and I had just completed 1 week in office and absolutely hated it and now this happened and this is exactly what the govt said "Employers should allow employees to WFH where possible"

Note the usage of the word "allow", which I find is very honest, it is like nobody likes to go to office, and if people are "allowed" 90% of the people wouldnt go to office.

Why cant employers always "allow" people to WFH whenever they want? It is clear by now that WFH is actually great for both employer and employees, then why use it only when the covid cases rise?
90% of people are working only because they need to put food on the table. If they had enough money they wouldnt even go to work in the 1st place. So it is normal. In the bank I work, I am yet to see anyone who prefers to come to office, even middle managers prefer to work from home. It is only the top boss and couple of his yes men who would love to see people back in office.

I mean, why not give people the choice and then see what they prefer? If people really feel their sanity will go for a toss, they should be welcome to go to office, but why force everyone else and assume that working in office is the only normal?

The worst part is the bloody preposterous emails we get from management when the covid rules were relaxed; "I am sure you guys will be glad to be able to see more of your colleagues in office" Yeah right! If I had my way, I would make some of them disappear out of this galaxy and never have to see them ever again.

Edit: BTW, Nice to see you are still around :). Where is that guy Rajagainstthemachine, Ecureilx, The Lynx, ZZM and JR8?
You really seem to work in a toxic environment. Really sorry about that, but not every workplace is like that.

I hate the mandatory or almost so work from home. I really would like to go to office more frequently but the mask on makes it not so practical. Our default office policy is still to work from home but allowed to go to office of you want , but everyone has a right to stay home indefinitely. But the flexi option was there already before covid, which was good obviously.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 03 May 2021 12:24 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Sun, 02 May 2021 5:13 pm

You really seem to work in a toxic environment. Really sorry about that, but not every workplace is like that.

I hate the mandatory or almost so work from home. I really would like to go to office more frequently but the mask on makes it not so practical. Our default office policy is still to work from home but allowed to go to office of you want , but everyone has a right to stay home indefinitely. But the flexi option was there already before covid, which was good obviously.
And, in your estimation, take a guess, what percentage of companies in Singapore are like your employer, which allows people to work from home by default even before the pandemic?

Your statement "You really seem to work in a toxic environment. Really sorry about that, but not every workplace is like that." is a bit like Marie Antoinette's famous "If they dont have bread, let them eat cake"

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 03 May 2021 7:47 am

I know it was quite low but not unheard of, and of course depending on industry a lot.

I meet or talk to lot of people who like to go back to office after a year. And most of them didn't have home working option before, but the novelty of it has worn out, and many notice that they end up working longer hours, non-stop online meetings not really improving worklife balance.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 03 May 2021 7:58 am

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Mon, 03 May 2021 7:47 am
I know it was quite low but not unheard of, and of course depending on industry a lot.

I meet or talk to lot of people who like to go back to office after a year. And most of them didn't have home working option before, but the novelty of it has worn out, and many notice that they end up working longer hours, non-stop online meetings not really improving worklife balance.
I save a lot of time working from home. My work hours are fixed, 8-5 and there is a lot of slack in my job. In a typical day I dont work productively for more than 2-3 hrs. Now imagine, waking up early, getting dressed up, and then going in that MRT and so much waste of time. Then in the evening coming back I am so exhausted I dont want to do anything else.

Instead WFH and I am waking up just in time, my wife is a house wife, she cooks for me awesome food, so there is nothing really I need to do, I just sit in front of my laptop, and keep switching windows between work and personal, all so seamlessly. I even take a power nap in the afternoon and then by 5 I am done. I am fresh and would like to go out for a jog and do some grocery or fruits shopping in the nearby wet market.

I absolutely love work from home life and I could do this forever, without ever wanting to go to office.

the observer
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 11:57 am

Re: May 1, 2021. Covid 19 community cases. What Happened?

Post by the observer » Mon, 03 May 2021 9:14 am

If I were to gaze into my crystal ball, this low rates euphoria will die in a couple of years and the days of cost cutting will reign again.

Departments will get shipped out, and it gets pretty obvious if a department is staffed mainly from nationals of a single country. Makes it easy for COO to decide to move the department there.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests