Singapore Expats

Condo Rental, how fixed are advertised rent?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
andrew.nicholls

Condo Rental, how fixed are advertised rent?

Post by andrew.nicholls » Sat, 01 May 2021 4:08 am

Hi
I'm moving to SG in July and have been looking at condos on . and 99.co.
Does anyone have any recent experience regarding the advertised rent vs. what you have been able to negotiate?
I know that each situation is different but I'm trying to get a general feeling.
TIA.

Search By

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Condo Rental, how fixed are advertised rent?

Post by abbby » Mon, 03 May 2021 10:59 am

I think anything between $100-$300 depending on the quantum as well.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 04 May 2021 2:42 pm

Generally, most prices are negotiable. As for how negotiable, that differs.

Rocketboy

Post by Rocketboy » Tue, 08 Jun 2021 2:42 pm

up to 20% vs advertised price.

Pick a listing you like, then go URA - "Rental contracts of private residential properties" and see last transacted for that condo. That of course doesn't mean that you wouldn't get the higher rental or lowest rental in the same condo because each case is unique.

Factors are:
- Your profile (nationality and if you are alone, couple, have pets, children - Alone or a couple with no animals can negotiate for better price, LandLords prefer tenants who are considered to maintain the house well, single female Japanese or Korean professional for example will always be given preference at lower price vs family with kids or a dog.

- property type and if its furnished or not, will you be the first tenant or not. If its newly renovated or old and rusty.
- Length of lease.
- Do you do co-broke (if you have your agent) or not with LL's agent.
- Uniqueness, if its a new condo but it has 30 other units for rent, some of landlords may be more desperate then others, if its central and well balanced size / value, say somewhere in Lavender - you may be for a max of 5-8% negotiation.
- If you are renting landed or high end property then number of required (by you) modifications is a factor.