Singapore Expats

Cancelling EP to issue PEP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
richsing

Cancelling EP to issue PEP

Post by richsing » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 2:49 pm

I have a question about this.

My company were going to cancel my EP today so I could proceed with issuance of PEP (I have IPA).

However, they told me that if they do, they have to wait for MOM approval for me to continue working for the company and that this (a) is a little bit risky as might not get approved and (b) would mean that I cannot work during the one week approval process

However, when I spoke to MOM, they said that it is just a notification and I can continue to work as normal. I can find nothing on the MOM website to say different.

Does anyone here know the answer from lived experience I wonder? :-k
by rssg » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 8:53 pm
I moved from EP to PEP while working for the same company.
There is no issue at all, and the current company DOES NOT have to wait for any approval from MOM for you to continue working for them.

I called MOM and double checked with them. I enquired if I was supposed to submit the Notification letter to MOM about my current employer. Also that the notification letter has two fields : OLD EMPLOYER & NEW EMPLOYER. And since I was not changing companies, i did not know what to fill.

MOM officer reconfirmed with their senior- that in case I am continuing with the same company and moving from EP to PEP, i need not send any notification letter.
The letter is required only if you are changing jobs.

Hope to have addressed your concern. You can DM me if you still have any queries.
Go to full post

simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Re: Cancelling EP to issue PEP

Post by simple_guy » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:14 pm

One of my friend got PEP last year. I did not hear such situation from him.
Anyway if you have to take 1 week off, take and enjoy!

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:44 pm

Who initiated this idea of swapping a PEP for an EP? Was it you or your company?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 4:15 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:44 pm
Who initiated this idea of swapping a PEP for an EP? Was it you or your company?
The poster isn't doing that, he's swapping EP for PEP. ;)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 5:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 4:15 pm
smoulder wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 3:44 pm
The poster isn't doing that, he's swapping EP for PEP. ;)
Yes my bad. I was replying while doing something else. My question still remains why he wants to dump his EP for a PEP.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 8:31 pm

You probably saw my questioning the same earlier as well. All they are doing is gambling on an extra 12 month visa. After it expires, if they don't get PR they have to hope they can get their EP back.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rssg
Answers: 1

Post by rssg » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 8:53 pm

I moved from EP to PEP while working for the same company.
There is no issue at all, and the current company DOES NOT have to wait for any approval from MOM for you to continue working for them.

I called MOM and double checked with them. I enquired if I was supposed to submit the Notification letter to MOM about my current employer. Also that the notification letter has two fields : OLD EMPLOYER & NEW EMPLOYER. And since I was not changing companies, i did not know what to fill.

MOM officer reconfirmed with their senior- that in case I am continuing with the same company and moving from EP to PEP, i need not send any notification letter.
The letter is required only if you are changing jobs.

Hope to have addressed your concern. You can DM me if you still have any queries.

richsing

Post by richsing » Tue, 04 May 2021 9:34 am

thanks for the answers

To those that asked: I have read a lot on here (and elsewhere) about the pros and cons of PEP. At this time and in my current situation it is right for me. If at the end of it, I cannot get EP back then will have to accept that. Down to me to work hard on progressing career to make that scenario less likely.