Singapore Expats

Importing used laptops from United States

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Hanita52

Importing used laptops from United States

Post by Hanita52 » Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:54 pm

Hi, my relative from US intend to purchase a laptop which is secondhand, and he wants to send it to me, since with pandemic he cannot travel here.
My question is, is there any customs restriction on importing used laptop to singapore?
Some countries like indonesia forbids used items thats why im being cautious.
Its only 1 unit. And the value is not that high, shouldnt' cost more than 600 usd.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Importing used laptops from United States

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Apr 2021 4:01 pm

You will have to pay GST on the value of the laptop inclusive of the shipping costs & Insurance as well (at the moment this is still 7% of the total value but is to go up by 2023). Otherwise, no issue with importing computers or computer parts.
The Singapore government has delayed the increase of the goods and sales tax (GST) rate to after 2021 and thus will remain at the current seven percent rate. The rate hike to nine percent is now expected to occur be between 2022 and 2025. In addition, GST will be applied to low-value goods bought online and imported by air or, as well as business-to-consumer imported non-digital services post from January 1, 2023.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers