Singapore Expats

New born but not married in sg

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Zouler79

New born but not married in sg

Post by Zouler79 » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 8:03 am

Hi all

Need some advise from the expert here. Currently I have a baby born in sg dated 8 April 2021 in TMC. But the problem is I am only getting married on 27 April 2021 due to some complex documents that delays the ROM. I am a Singaporean but my wife to be is a foreigner. A few questions below

1. Can I register my baby birth cert after my ROM so that she can get Singapore citizenship?

2. If not, what are the process to convert her to SG citizenship?

I do not know what are the process like. I understand if we are not legally married when baby is born, she is not entitled for sg citizenship but both my wife and myself would like her to be sg citizenship as we are intending to stay long or even get PR for my wife to be. Just to let you know my wife to be is STV pass and will be apply Ltvp for her after 27th April 2021. Hope someone with similar situation can share their experiences with us. Thank you so much.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: New born but not married in sg

Post by therat » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 9:30 am

Zouler79 wrote:
Thu, 22 Apr 2021 8:03 am
Hi all

Need some advise from the expert here. Currently I have a baby born in sg dated 8 April 2021 in TMC. But the problem is I am only getting married on 27 April 2021 due to some complex documents that delays the ROM. I am a Singaporean but my wife to be is a foreigner. A few questions below

1. Can I register my baby birth cert after my ROM so that she can get Singapore citizenship?

2. If not, what are the process to convert her to SG citizenship?

I do not know what are the process like. I understand if we are not legally married when baby is born, she is not entitled for sg citizenship but both my wife and myself would like her to be sg citizenship as we are intending to stay long or even get PR for my wife to be. Just to let you know my wife to be is STV pass and will be apply Ltvp for her after 27th April 2021. Hope someone with similar situation can share their experiences with us. Thank you so much.
Citizenship of the ChildIn regard to a child born in Singapore, Section 121 of the Constitution and Section 15(1) of the Third Schedule states that a child born in Singapore whose relationship with his or her parents is not legitimate, will not acquire citizenship by birth if only her father is citizen of Singapore.

quote from https://www.gjclaw.com.sg/articles/coha ... -children/

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:23 am

Taken from

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&rct= ... FaGSEE6dYB

A person is a Singaporean citizen by birth if he or she is born in Singapore with at least one parent who is a Singaporean citizen provided both parents are registered officially as legally married.

Zouler79

Post by Zouler79 » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 5:04 pm

Thanks for all the reply. Understood that my new born will not be sg citizenship. So what's the process to convert her to sg citizen once married?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 5:23 pm

Zouler79 wrote:
Thu, 22 Apr 2021 5:04 pm
Thanks for all the reply. Understood that my new born will not be sg citizenship. So what's the process to convert her to sg citizen once married?
follow standard process.
Apply PR , then apply citizenship.
No fast forward conversion way.
your new born will follow mother citizenship.

Many year back, father (SC) , mother (Malaysian) given birth a child before marriage.
baby follow mother citizenship.
Both parent married after that but they got into trouble and both went into jail 1 by 1.
The new born have to send back to Malaysia. Even his grandmother (father side) willingly to take care of the baby.
Mother side.. none of the relative or family member can take care of the baby.
In the end, baby under Malaysia government care.
It report in Newspaper.

Another news report from newspaper.
Father (SC), mother (Thai) , their 1st born (boy) was born before they marriage.
The boy under student pass until primary school.
Apply for PR many time but all rejected. Father even went to MP, ask for help. still rejected.
If I remember correctly, his MP is PM.

Zouler79

Post by Zouler79 » Thu, 22 Apr 2021 5:44 pm

Tks for your inputs. This is a sad case. Anyway let see how to process this once I officially got married next week. Will check with ICA also.