Singapore Expats

Where to buy American groceries

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Where to buy American groceries

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 20 Apr 2021 1:07 am

Hi everyone, I’m wondering where I can find Stacy’s pita chips. I’ve looked in most mainstream supermarkets but haven’t had any luck. Are there any specialty grocers you know of that carry the more niche products?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Where to buy American groceries

Post by abbby » Fri, 02 Jul 2021 6:30 pm

Not easy to find. Redmart is not too bad, but of late, the items are always out of stock like forever. And amazon does not really have a wide selection...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 03 Jul 2021 12:55 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 1:07 am
Hi everyone, I’m wondering where I can find Stacy’s pita chips. I’ve looked in most mainstream supermarkets but haven’t had any luck. Are there any specialty grocers you know of that carry the more niche products?
The best places to find niche products are Marketplace & Jasons. A few times a year I might browse through these stores just to see if there is an item or two that is really special or rare that might be worth paying a premium for.

I kind of doubt you’ll find Stacy’s pita chips, but good luck. I would sure like to find some chili cheese Fritos, but sadly these have never been brought in (and probably never will). It’s something I buy without fail every time I’ve gone back to the US.

I’m also on the look out for Australian black licorice, Darrell Lea or similar ~ they used to carry it at Candy Empire, but sadly not for many years.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 8:48 am

abbby wrote:
Fri, 02 Jul 2021 6:30 pm
Not easy to find. Redmart is not too bad, but of late, the items are always out of stock like forever. And amazon does not really have a wide selection...
I’ve ordered from Amazon a couple times (they sell a box of the little Stacy’s bags), but the shipping fee from the US is pretty absurd ($16 was what I paid last time, if I’m not mistaken.) I’ll look into redmart, I don’t really use them for the most part.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 8:51 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 03 Jul 2021 12:55 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 20 Apr 2021 1:07 am
The best places to find niche products are Marketplace & Jasons. A few times a year I might browse through these stores just to see if there is an item or two that is really special or rare that might be worth paying a premium for.

I kind of doubt you’ll find Stacy’s pita chips, but good luck. I would sure like to find some chili cheese Fritos, but sadly these have never been brought in (and probably never will). It’s something I buy without fail every time I’ve gone back to the US.

I’m also on the look out for Australian black licorice, Darrell Lea or similar ~ they used to carry it at Candy Empire, but sadly not for many years.
I haven’t looked at Jason’s, I’ve got a marketplace less than a mile from my house, so I go there a couple times a week. Admittedly, they do carry quite a number of international snacks (they’ve got an entire international section), but I’ve had no luck with finding the pita chips.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 1:09 pm

Nabisco Triscuits are my achilles heel. Usually 3 or 4 boxes end up in my suitcase enroute back here along with 4 lbs of Old Bay Seasoning and 4 lbs of Scrapple. Yaohan's Thompson Plaza used to be my go to place for Triscuits but then they closed up shop in Singapore (all their locations). Then for a couple of years Jasons and/or the Marketplace would bring some in (not at all regularly so caused lots of useless trips across the island on the slim hope). Hasn't been any here in probably 10 years now (or more). Or I just haven't seen them yet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 8:40 pm

I like Cheez-It crackers. Arnott’s Shapes Cheddar sold at Cold Storage is the only thing that comes mildly close.

I also like Ginger Snap cookies, fortunately Arnott’s has Ginger Nut cookies and they actually taste better than Ginger Snaps, just have to be careful not to break a tooth!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 9:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nabisco Triscuits are my achilles heel. Usually 3 or 4 boxes end up in my suitcase enroute back here along with 4 lbs of Old Bay Seasoning and 4 lbs of Scrapple. Yaohan's Thompson Plaza used to be my go to place for Triscuits but then they closed up shop in Singapore (all their locations). Then for a couple of years Jasons and/or the Marketplace would bring some in (not at all regularly so caused lots of useless trips across the island on the slim hope). Hasn't been any here in probably 10 years now (or more). Or I just haven't seen them yet.
My god….scrapple….TBH, I’ve only had it 3x (all in Canton)…whenever the gravy ran out, it was game over, couldn’t eat any more….truly an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jul 2021 10:14 pm

Almost nothing beats Scrapple!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 6:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 08 Jul 2021 1:09 pm
Nabisco Triscuits are my achilles heel. Usually 3 or 4 boxes end up in my suitcase enroute back here along with 4 lbs of Old Bay Seasoning and 4 lbs of Scrapple. Yaohan's Thompson Plaza used to be my go to place for Triscuits but then they closed up shop in Singapore (all their locations). Then for a couple of years Jasons and/or the Marketplace would bring some in (not at all regularly so caused lots of useless trips across the island on the slim hope). Hasn't been any here in probably 10 years now (or more). Or I just haven't seen them yet.
Triscuits!!! Delicious and so addictive, I almost forgot about them. Lucky for me, my father just got out of quarantine yesterday. He brought us a ton of snacks (including a couple bags of Stacy’s).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 6:49 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 08 Jul 2021 8:40 pm
I like Cheez-It crackers. Arnott’s Shapes Cheddar sold at Cold Storage is the only thing that comes mildly close.

I also like Ginger Snap cookies, fortunately Arnott’s has Ginger Nut cookies and they actually taste better than Ginger Snaps, just have to be careful not to break a tooth!
Pepperidge farm goldfish cheese crackers are a great alternative to cheez-its.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:31 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 09 Jul 2021 6:49 pm
I have tried those but they just don’t satisfy me — they are just too puffy/flakey… just missing that true cracker density. Arnott’s Shapes Cheddar are a true cracker, but they don’t quite have the same cheesy punch that cheez-it’s have (and the flavor particles easily fall off). I’m not complaining though, it’s a close enough substitute for me.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 11 Jul 2021 11:40 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 09 Jul 2021 11:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 09 Jul 2021 6:49 pm
I have tried those but they just don’t satisfy me — they are just too puffy/flakey… just missing that true cracker density. Arnott’s Shapes Cheddar are a true cracker, but they don’t quite have the same cheesy punch that cheez-it’s have (and the flavor particles easily fall off). I’m not complaining though, it’s a close enough substitute for me.
I get what you mean, shapes are delicious though! I especially love the barbecue and pizza flavors.