Singapore Expats

Is this Budget realistic for 2 persons?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Izaboo

Is this Budget realistic for 2 persons?

Post by Izaboo » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 4:11 am

Hello hello!

I'm working on a realistic monthly budget before starting negotiation for our relocation to Singapore.
I'm a Sales Manager with +10 experience in specialty chemicals, and I'll be moving with my husband (under DP), our rather large dog and 2 cats.
Today we have a comfortable life in France, a house with huge garden and 2 cars. We would like to find a house with reasonable garden for the pets, but we understand that might be difficult!

Please see enclosed my tentative budget in Singapore and let me know if you think I over/under estimated some expenses, I might be completely out of the reality and thank you in advance for your advices!
Attachments
Budget for 2 PAX in SG.JPG
Last edited by Izaboo on Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Is this Budget realistic for 2 persons?

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:43 am

Hi there,

Some thoughts - dependent on your aspiration for location and brand marques:

Rent probably much higher
Deposit could be 2x monthly rental ++
Life insurance may approach $3.4K if you want to be covered for private hospitals
Regional holidays can be tripled depending on class of travel and hotel
Travel back to France probably quadrupled unless the company pays for return flights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:05 am

I've been looking at your table and find it a little hard to advise on as you've listed everything out as a estimated monthly expenditure or so it would appear. Generally speaking I would echo BBCDoc's comments.

Some particulars:

Housing: most houses here have pretty small gardens. Your best bet would be to bid for a black and white bungalow or terraced house. (I'm not sure if I can put the link here but if you google "black and white rentals, Singapore", you should find an appropriate link.) These houses, dating from colonial times, are beautiful and often come with huge gardens, perfect for a big dog. Please note however that they are usually located in or close to forested areas which also means having snakes as neighbors. You need to be careful that your dog doesn't become part of the food chain... Starting monthly rentals (you will have to bid for available units) could start from around S$12,000.

Deposits: Rental deposits are typically based on the duration of the lease. So if you sign a 2 year lease, you are looking at say $12,000 x 2 = $24,000 plus maybe one extra month rental as a 'security deposit'.

The amount put aside for savings, $1,700 looks a little low to me - especially for 2 people.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 1:39 pm

Finding a house with a sizable garden will be a challenge at your budget, even though it is already on the high side. I find your overseas holiday estimate unrealistic- a round trip for 2 to France will set you back way more than $450. A google search shows that a round trip per person costs anywhere from high $800s to over $1000, depending on which part of France you are planning on traveling to. Your regional holiday estimate is more doable, budget airlines have tickets for much less than $500.

Izaboo

Post by Izaboo » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:57 pm

Thanks all for your input,
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 1:39 pm
I find your overseas holiday estimate unrealistic- a round trip for 2 to France will set you back way more than $450.
It is a monthly budget, so it you count $450/month, it ends up at $5400, which will be enough to come back to France, even during during Christmas time!
Addadude wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:05 am
Your best bet would be to bid for a black and white bungalow or terraced house. Starting monthly rentals (you will have to bid for available units) could start from around S$12,000.
Indeed, I found them and they are spectacular! But I know we can't afford it. I found decent houses around $8,0000 and if possible, I'd like to stay lower than that (maybe in Katong?). I understand that I will not have the same kind of space that in France.
I found the concept of "cluster house" interesting, but it feels like improved condos facing each other!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:08 pm

Izaboo wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:57 pm
Addadude wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:05 am
Your best bet would be to bid for a black and white bungalow or terraced house. Starting monthly rentals (you will have to bid for available units) could start from around S$12,000.
Indeed, I found them and they are spectacular! But I know we can't afford it. I found decent houses around $8,0000 and if possible, I'd like to stay lower than that (maybe in Katong?). I understand that I will not have the same kind of space that in France.
I found the concept of "cluster house" interesting, but it feels like improved condos facing each other!
The issue is having a decent size garden. In Singapore you'll notice that most of the modern houses here fill up every available piece of space - with no space to spare for a garden. Culturally, most Singaporeans consider the weather too hot to enjoy a garden or even a balcony. (You will see many condo balconies are often sealed up.) Cluster housing are essentially individual 3+-story condo units with facilities so open spaces for your large dog are not going to be available.

I think your best bet would be to look for houses further out from the Central Business District than Katong. You'll get more bang for your buck perhaps with the possibility of a larger garden. I would look at areas like Seletar, Yio Chu Kang and Upper Bukit Timah. Eben the Mandai area has largish houses. For these places, you will probably need a car for ease of commuting, but you've already factored that in.

One more consideration would be looking at older condos like Clementi Park and Sommerville Park that not only have pretty big apartments but also large grounds where you can at least walk your dog. Please bear in mind that the condo management might have rules relating to walking dogs in the compound.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:50 pm

Izaboo wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 4:11 am
Hello hello!

I'm working on a realistic monthly budget before starting negotiation for our relocation to Singapore.
I'm a Sales Manager with +10 experience in specialty chemicals, and I'll be moving with my husband (under DP), our rather large dog and 2 cats.
Today we have a comfortable life in France, a house with huge garden and 2 cars. We would like to find a house with reasonable garden for the pets, but we understand that might be difficult!

Please see enclosed my tentative budget in Singapore and let me know if you think I over/under estimated some expenses, I might be completely out of the reality and thank you in advance for your advices!
Aircon service cost seems overestimated.
The price depends on the number of units. If you do the servicing once per quarter, it will be ~100-150 sgd per year per unit. So if you have 4 units (living room, study, 2 bedrooms), max 50sgd/month.

But, this is a small cost.

Are you sure you want to use a car? Just using taxis all the time will be much cheaper. 1500 sgd/month for car rental only is on the lower side. It can be closer to 2000.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 8:03 pm

You've probably grossly overestimated your budget but I understand it can be difficult to do so remotely. Others have pointed out the garden issue but I'd encourage you to look at the black and whites. I know some for $4k to $5k with a big enough garden for a dog IMO.

You should probably add in some expenses though for club membership. The Holland and Swiss club are good for Euros.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Izaboo

Post by Izaboo » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:44 pm

Thanks again for your replies!
nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:50 pm

Are you sure you want to use a car? Just using taxis all the time will be much cheaper. 1500 sgd/month for car rental only is on the lower side. It can be closer to 2000.
No, I'm not sure. But I read that the dog won't be able to take public transportation, so we must find a taxi that would accept him (vet, dogsitting, etc). Also, I found that houses are not often close to the MRT, especially in Katong.
PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 8:03 pm
You've probably grossly overestimated your budget but I understand it can be difficult to do so remotely. Others have pointed out the garden issue but I'd encourage you to look at the black and whites. I know some for $4k to $5k with a big enough garden for a dog IMO.

You should probably add in some expenses though for club membership. The Holland and Swiss club are good for Euros.
Oh yes! Basically, before entering into a negotiation with my company, I want to have the facts right, as I will be coming with an EP and I'll be supporting my family alone at first. For my company, I could live in an appartment in an over-crowded condo. I admit that it's not our lifestyle, we are more nature people. Of course, we realize we must adapt to the country, but I think we have to find some middle ground so we are not running from the country after 6 months.

Wow, 4 or $5k for a black & white? You have to auction those, even as a tenant, correct?
I would feel much better to spend less on the rent. Would you recommend to try an agent or to hunt on . to find those pearls?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 8:09 am

Izaboo wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:57 pm
Thanks all for your input,
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 1:39 pm
I find your overseas holiday estimate unrealistic- a round trip for 2 to France will set you back way more than $450.
It is a monthly budget, so it you count $450/month, it ends up at $5400, which will be enough to come back to France, even during during Christmas time!
I see, there was no indication of that. In that case, $5400 is more than enough.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 8:16 am

Izaboo wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:44 pm
Thanks again for your replies!
nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:50 pm

No, I'm not sure. But I read that the dog won't be able to take public transportation, so we must find a taxi that would accept him (vet, dogsitting, etc). Also, I found that houses are not often close to the MRT, especially in Katong.
Pet taxis are pretty expensive but they will be cheaper in the long run if you don’t travel with your pets often. On the other hand, having your own car offers you more convenience, but is more expensive.

[/quote]

Oh yes! Basically, before entering into a negotiation with my company, I want to have the facts right, as I will be coming with an EP and I'll be supporting my family alone at first. For my company, I could live in an appartment in an over-crowded condo. I admit that it's not our lifestyle, we are more nature people. Of course, we realize we must adapt to the country, but I think we have to find some middle ground so we are not running from the country after 6 months.

Wow, 4 or $5k for a black & white? You have to auction those, even as a tenant, correct?
I would feel much better to spend less on the rent. Would you recommend to try an agent or to hunt on. to find those pearls?
[/quote]

A condo is actually not a bad option. The grounds are often beautiful and expansive, and there are usually many other dogs, which will allow your dog to interact with other dogs, and you with other dog owners.

And yes, definitely spring for an agent.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 9:31 am

Search SPIO SLA for Black and White.

The attached ones in Woodville go for that.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 10:50 am

Search SPIO SLA for Black and White.

The attached ones in Woodville go for that.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 1:44 pm

If you have a large dog living in a Black & White is the way to go. even the duplex & 2 story quads (if able to rent a end unit have decently large compounds. I loved living in Seletar Camp in an end quad unit for 15 years until I moved into my HDB Flat in Sep '99. And yes, I had a couple of dogs, one large, and a little calico cat. I've been in my HDB prison cell for 22 years now. No pets at all now, but thinking about it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:32 am

Woodleigh I mean.

Full stand alone houses there are 10K with a 1/4 acre garden.