Singapore Expats

Poor condo etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:36 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:07 pm
100% can relate.

Just this weekend I encountered this aussie dirt bag who was cycling like mad max in the marina area and made an incredibly rude remark to me after I had accidentally swerved a bit toward his path just to keep my balance. My son and I talked about it afterwards and we both agreed that we feel sorry for the guy, he sure didn’t seem like a happy person at all.
Yes, I’ve learned that people who are unhappy with themselves often take out their frustrations on others.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:42 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 6:16 pm
We had one family that insisted on bringing food INTO the pool. Eating crisps and drinking beer....

I notified management of this, and they did send out notification on etiquette.

I’d also consider pretending to take a piss next to such people...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goodness, what is wrong with these people? Are they really that lazy and inconsiderate? It’s good that your management did something about it. The MCST at my condo had already posted signage and various notices near the pool, this particular lady just decided she was illiterate on that day. I later learned from my neighbors who stay in her block that she is known for being quite a pill, she throws trash into the recycling bin and washes her car at the car park rather than at the car washing bay like everyone else.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:48 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:18 am
BBCDoc wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 6:16 pm
We had one family that insisted on bringing food INTO the pool. Eating crisps and drinking beer....

I notified management of this, and they did send out notification on etiquette.

I’d also consider pretending to take a piss next to such people...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly how to do it. Escalate to your MA or MC. Better yet be on friendly terms with your MC president.
The thing is, the management had already posted signage and various notices around the pool. She just chose to ignore them. If she does it again I’ll speak to the chairman, he is a good family friend (thank goodness).

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:39 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:35 am
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:21 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:49 pm
We once had a kid take a dump in the kiddie pool; the management ended up draining the entire pool (larger than an olympic sized swimming pool) and had the water replaced. The pool was closed for well over a week.
Sounds suspiciously like my condo.
Hahaha, I live in the Bukit Timah area.
Farrer/Holland area for me... maybe “pooping in pools” is now trending, used to be “peeing in lifts” back in the day!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:46 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 12:39 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:35 am
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:21 pm

Sounds suspiciously like my condo.
Hahaha, I live in the Bukit Timah area.
Farrer/Holland area for me... maybe “pooping in pools” is now trending, used to be “peeing in lifts” back in the day!
Luckily, we never really had that issue. We did, however, have a few incidents of pets peeing or pooping in the lift, with the pet owners not picking up after their pet. Thankfully it was solved after a few notices were put up.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:27 pm

The peeing in the lifts was endemic to HDB lifts. It's the reason for the ultimate installation of CCTV cameras in the lifts, not crime or molestation. I remember when they finally installed them in my estate (older estate built in 88~89).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 5:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:27 pm
The peeing in the lifts was endemic to HDB lifts. It's the reason for the ultimate installation of CCTV cameras in the lifts, not crime or molestation. I remember when they finally installed them in my estate (older estate built in 88~89).
Yes, I remember reading about such incidents back in the day. Can’t imagine why anyone would do that.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 6:16 pm

Because unlike condos, hdbs doesn’t have any toilets at the ground floor. And the fine for urinating in public goes up to $1000.

So the poor sod who’s about to burst his bladder decided to do it within the confines of the 4 lift walls.

Typically older men have bladder control problems.
So, if I have to punt a guess, I’d think it’s them.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:41 am

Actually you are correct observer. Except in my block which fronts park/basketball court that is extremely popular not just with the HDB residents both the young folks from across the road living in Landed properties as well. Usually they didn't use the lifts but used the stairwell landings. We ended up initially putting up fake CCTV camera housings in the lobbies and stairwell nearest the basketball court. Eventually when we got the budget we put in the real deal. Stopped the problem. And yeah, now that I'm an older gentleman, I'm just damned glad I only live on the 2nd floor! Cause the seals just ain't what they used to be! :mad:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:26 am

the observer wrote:
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 6:16 pm
Because unlike condos, hdbs doesn’t have any toilets at the ground floor. And the fine for urinating in public goes up to $1000.

So the poor sod who’s about to burst his bladder decided to do it within the confines of the 4 lift walls.

Typically older men have bladder control problems.
So, if I have to punt a guess, I’d think it’s them.
Really! I would have expected it to be youngsters playing a prank.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:27 am

Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:41 am
Actually you are correct observer. Except in my block which fronts park/basketball court that is extremely popular not just with the HDB residents both the young folks from across the road living in Landed properties as well. Usually they didn't use the lifts but used the stairwell landings. We ended up initially putting up fake CCTV camera housings in the lobbies and stairwell nearest the basketball court. Eventually when we got the budget we put in the real deal. Stopped the problem. And yeah, now that I'm an older gentleman, I'm just damned glad I only live on the 2nd floor! Cause the seals just ain't what they used to be! :mad:
Do people normally take the stairs home? I would imagine it to be quite tiring to walk up more than 2 or 3 floors. Most HDB blocks seem to be upwards of 10 floors.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 4:44 pm

Lisa, our block fronts the park/basketball court, all other blocks are further away. Residents who are elderly and live on the high floors tend to be the culprits as they are also the ones do deliberately press the button for their floor anytime they go out their door if they live next to the lifts. So they don't have to wait. Problem is then after spending 5 or 6 hrs in the Kopitiam drinking beer, they stumble home and then the urge hits them but the lifts are on the upper floors so they have to push the button to bring the lift back down before they can go up. The culprits on the stairwells are the youngsters who have been playing on the basketballs courts and then no toilet handy. so they run up half a flight of stairs to the 1st landing and let loose. Oh, I generally don't use the lift, but the stairs for the exercise that I don't get enough of.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:23 pm

Thu, 15 Apr 2021 4:44 pm
Oh, I generally don't use the lift, but the stairs for the exercise that I don't get enough of.
After you said “I generally don’t use the lift” the next words I expected “I use the bathroom”

:lol: :cool: 8-) :mrgreen:
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:56 pm

If you look at the bottom of some HDB lifts you will see the patented Singapore Inc. Urine detector system - a series of little metal sensors inside a round insulator. If you pee to the side of them, no issue.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Apr 2021 1:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:23 pm
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 4:44 pm
Oh, I generally don't use the lift, but the stairs for the exercise that I don't get enough of.
After you said “I generally don’t use the lift” the next words I expected “I use the bathroom”

:lol: :cool: 8-) :mrgreen:
That was sneaky! :tongue: :lol: