Singapore Expats Forum
 

Poor condo etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:24 pm

I had a frustrating experience with a neighbor recently and just wanted to share. I am lucky to live in a condo with a really large and beautiful pool, and I make it a point to use it at least once a week, both for fitness and for relaxation. It has always been my understanding that pool users should rinse themselves off before entering, for hygiene purposes. It is for this exact reason that the management installed an outdoor shower some years ago. Most residents are respectful and understanding of this rule, and wash themselves off before stepping foot into the water. A few days ago, as I was wrapping up my swim, a really sweaty lady took off her robe and walked towards the pool. I thought she was heading towards the shower, but to my surprise, she tried to enter the swimming pool! A disgusted resident asked that she rinse herself off before entering, to which she responded rudely that she had the right to use the facilities since she pays for them like everyone else. At this point, I chimed in to agree with the resident, but was met with an equally rude response. She proceeded to make a big show about getting in the pool, and at that point I was so fed up that I went home. Have any of you encountered similarly obnoxious neighbors?

(I’m reposting here because I previously posted under the wrong category, not sure how to delete the other post).

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by malcontent » Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:56 pm

While I agree it’s nice gesture to rinse off, I have to be honest — there’s a lot of nasty stuff that comes off people’s bodies in the pool, rinse off or not. Just have a gander by the underwater light after dark... after a day of heavy use you will see plenty of hair and dead skin flecks floating around in there, and that’s just what you can see. Regarding sweat, I used to do laps, and after 2-3 laps I would often find myself sweating while swimming, it really couldn’t be helped. And let’s face it, a few people are peeing in it - especially kids, that’s just the reality.

Personally, I feel it is best to put all of this out of your mind or else you’ll just be disgusted and wanna barf. Treat it like eating a hot dog, don’t question or think about it... just enjoy it.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:26 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:56 pm
While I agree it’s nice gesture to rinse off, I have to be honest — there’s a lot of nasty stuff that comes off people’s bodies in the pool, rinse off or not. Just have a gander by the underwater light after dark... after a day of heavy use you will see plenty of hair and dead skin flecks floating around in there, and that’s just what you can see. Regarding sweat, I used to do laps, and after 2-3 laps I would often find myself sweating while swimming, it really couldn’t be helped. And let’s face it, a few people are peeing in it - especially kids, that’s just the reality.

Personally, I feel it is best to put all of this out of your mind or else you’ll just be disgusted and wanna barf. Treat it like eating a hot dog, don’t question or think about it... just enjoy it.
I see your point, maybe I wasn’t clear enough but my frustration was not so much with the lack of hygiene, but rather her cocky, self-entitled attitude. Why should everyone else follow the rules but not her? We pay for the facilities too, its all about good neighborliness.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by malcontent » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:17 pm

I fully agree with your disgust... but I try to look at things from a different perspective for a reason - - to keep my own sanity! If I paid attention to every bozo out there who was discourteous and self-entitled, I’d be sitting in a mental institution by now!

I always try to accept things that are outside of my control and focus on what is within my control. I already have enough stress in my life, and will do my utmost not to allow anyone to ratchet that up even a notch. I’ve just got better things to do in life.

Finally, it might be worth noting that as many as 1 out of 25 people in this world are sociopaths... not exactly rare, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to change that.
Last edited by malcontent on Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jwoods1864
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 3:00 am

Poor condo etiquette

Post by jwoods1864 » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:19 pm

I think there are bigger issues to worry about lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Addadude » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:26 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:17 pm
I always try to accept things that are outside of my control and focus on what is within my control. I already have enough stress in my life, and will do my utmost not to allow anyone to ratchet that up even a notch. I’ve just got better things to do in life.
THIS. In the past I've seen expats 'self-radicalize' by focusing obsessively on the negatives of living here, only mixing with others who have the same outlook and ending up negatively associating themselves out of a very cushy job and lifestyle here.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by x9200 » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:33 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:24 pm
I had a frustrating experience with a neighbor recently and just wanted to share. I am lucky to live in a condo with a really large and beautiful pool, and I make it a point to use it at least once a week, both for fitness and for relaxation. It has always been my understanding that pool users should rinse themselves off before entering, for hygiene purposes. It is for this exact reason that the management installed an outdoor shower some years ago. Most residents are respectful and understanding of this rule, and wash themselves off before stepping foot into the water. A few days ago, as I was wrapping up my swim, a really sweaty lady took off her robe and walked towards the pool. I thought she was heading towards the shower, but to my surprise, she tried to enter the swimming pool! A disgusted resident asked that she rinse herself off before entering, to which she responded rudely that she had the right to use the facilities since she pays for them like everyone else. At this point, I chimed in to agree with the resident, but was met with an equally rude response. She proceeded to make a big show about getting in the pool, and at that point I was so fed up that I went home. Have any of you encountered similarly obnoxious neighbors?

(I’m reposting here because I previously posted under the wrong category, not sure how to delete the other post).
It was like 20 years ago, a friend of mine was enjoying himself in the condo pool when he noticed a man with a very young kid at the pool. The kid was standing at the edge and unashamedly peeing to the pool. When approached with WTF, the man said, oh, that's just a kid.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:49 pm

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:33 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:24 pm
I had a frustrating experience with a neighbor recently and just wanted to share. I am lucky to live in a condo with a really large and beautiful pool, and I make it a point to use it at least once a week, both for fitness and for relaxation. It has always been my understanding that pool users should rinse themselves off before entering, for hygiene purposes. It is for this exact reason that the management installed an outdoor shower some years ago. Most residents are respectful and understanding of this rule, and wash themselves off before stepping foot into the water. A few days ago, as I was wrapping up my swim, a really sweaty lady took off her robe and walked towards the pool. I thought she was heading towards the shower, but to my surprise, she tried to enter the swimming pool! A disgusted resident asked that she rinse herself off before entering, to which she responded rudely that she had the right to use the facilities since she pays for them like everyone else. At this point, I chimed in to agree with the resident, but was met with an equally rude response. She proceeded to make a big show about getting in the pool, and at that point I was so fed up that I went home. Have any of you encountered similarly obnoxious neighbors?

(I’m reposting here because I previously posted under the wrong category, not sure how to delete the other post).
It was like 20 years ago, a friend of mine was enjoying himself in the condo pool when he noticed a man with a very young kid at the pool. The kid was standing at the edge and unashamedly peeing to the pool. When approached with WTF, the man said, oh, that's just a kid.
Goodness, that’s gross! And awful parenting. We once had a kid take a dump in the kiddie pool; the management ended up draining the entire pool (larger than an olympic sized swimming pool) and had the water replaced. The pool was closed for well over a week.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:51 pm

Addadude wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:26 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:17 pm
I always try to accept things that are outside of my control and focus on what is within my control. I already have enough stress in my life, and will do my utmost not to allow anyone to ratchet that up even a notch. I’ve just got better things to do in life.
THIS. In the past I've seen expats 'self-radicalize' by focusing obsessively on the negatives of living here, only mixing with others who have the same outlook and ending up negatively associating themselves out of a very cushy job and lifestyle here.
Don’t get me wrong, I love living here. In fact, I can’t imagine being better off anywhere else during this pandemic. I have always made it a point to mix with the locals, honestly I almost consider myself a local as well. I just wanted to share a really frustrating experience to see if anyone could relate.

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:54 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:17 pm
I fully agree with your disgust... but I try to look at things from a different perspective for a reason - - to keep my own sanity! If I paid attention to every bozo out there who was discourteous and self-entitled, I’d be sitting in a mental institution by now!

I always try to accept things that are outside of my control and focus on what is within my control. I already have enough stress in my life, and will do my utmost not to allow anyone to ratchet that up even a notch. I’ve just got better things to do in life.

Finally, it might be worth noting that as many as 1 out of 25 people in this world are sociopaths... not exactly rare, and there is absolutely nothing we can do to change that.
I generally try to adopt a similar outlook, my patience was just especially short on this day. Also, I’m pretty sure there were more than 25 people there, if you get what I’m saying.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by malcontent » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:07 pm

100% can relate.

Just this weekend I encountered this aussie dirt bag who was cycling like mad max in the marina area and made an incredibly rude remark to me after I had accidentally swerved a bit toward his path just to keep my balance. My son and I talked about it afterwards and we both agreed that we feel sorry for the guy, he sure didn’t seem like a happy person at all.

User avatar
malcontent
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by malcontent » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:21 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:49 pm
We once had a kid take a dump in the kiddie pool; the management ended up draining the entire pool (larger than an olympic sized swimming pool) and had the water replaced. The pool was closed for well over a week.
Sounds suspiciously like my condo.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 6:16 pm

We had one family that insisted on bringing food INTO the pool. Eating crisps and drinking beer....

I notified management of this, and they did send out notification on etiquette.

I’d also consider pretending to take a piss next to such people...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8016
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 6:18 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 6:16 pm
We had one family that insisted on bringing food INTO the pool. Eating crisps and drinking beer....

I notified management of this, and they did send out notification on etiquette.

I’d also consider pretending to take a piss next to such people...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly how to do it. Escalate to your MA or MC. Better yet be on friendly terms with your MC president.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Poor condo etiquette

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:35 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 3:21 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 12 Apr 2021 2:49 pm
We once had a kid take a dump in the kiddie pool; the management ended up draining the entire pool (larger than an olympic sized swimming pool) and had the water replaced. The pool was closed for well over a week.
Sounds suspiciously like my condo.
Hahaha, I live in the Bukit Timah area.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests