Singapore Expats

<NEED ADVICE> Expat - Got new job with joining date in 2 months, but has 3 months notice period

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: <NEED ADVICE> Expat - Got new job with joining date in 2 months, but has 3 months notice period

Post by smoulder » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 2:19 am

What's the issue if you do travel back? It can't be that bad.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: <NEED ADVICE> Expat - Got new job with joining date in 2 months, but has 3 months notice period

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 3:06 am

If he going back to India, they are now the country with the highest cases of Covid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:30 am

Right. He should probably tell that to the HR guy instead of over thinking and asking for solutions to imaginary scenarios.

Like I stated earlier, regardless of the silly rule, most managers and HRs are human beings and are likely to work something out. They are also pragmatic - Sending him back to serve a "mandatory" 3 month long notice period would mean paying for a flight ticket, 3 months of salary and potentially have him sit in India without a project allocation (meaning that he's not productive).

This is based on my own experience with one of these Indian IT MNCs. In my case, the Singapore HR guy just asked me 3 things. Why I wanted to quit, he asked me to get approval from my manager for relieving me on the requested date and lastly he asked me if I was joining a client. There was no talk about flying to India to serve a notice period. The answer to the last question was yes but I was never allocated to a project for that client so he was OK with it.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:44 am

Oh and by the way, honestly, I wouldn't have minded flying back to India. On company expense. It turned out that since I served my notice period in Singapore, between jobs I did fly back to visit family but on my own expense. :/

Obviously, this was a long time ago, pre covid.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 7:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 3:06 am
If he going back to India, they are now the country with the highest cases of Covid.
And a lot of places are no longer taking Indians in and Singapore is very reluctant as well. No guarantee OP can get back in.

In this case I would simply not fly home and appeal to MOM / ICA for SVP extension pending new IPA / pass.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mseb1203

Post by mseb1203 » Sat, 05 Feb 2022 11:01 pm

Rdxx wrote:
Thu, 15 Apr 2021 1:30 am
I got my IPA day before yesterday and dropped my resignation,yet to hear from HR. And new hiring HR gave me few dates to choose from for the joining date. Luckily, I had a date 3 months from now and chose it.
Now, I'm thinking of ways to convince my current HR to let me serve notice period here.
Any ideas folks...
@Rdxx, may I know how did it go with you? Did you serve your notice period here and no longer had to go back to India?