Singapore Expats Forum

Cover letter, testimonial, volunteer work upload? but WHERE?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
wishmeluck7

Cover letter, testimonial, volunteer work upload? but WHERE?

Post by wishmeluck7 » Sat, 10 Apr 2021 6:16 am

Hello everyone,
I am a 35-year old resident, with a small family. I have been in Singapore for more than five years on EP and planning to apply for a PR.
I somewhat have a feeling that PR agency business is a sham, but one good thing we can learn from meetings is uploading a cover letter, recommendation letters/testimonials, volunteer work letter/certificate, if any, is not going to harm us. What's your view?

But then the million dollar question: Where do we upload these documents if applying by self?
Reading the threads on the topic so far suggests that there's no direct option for us to upload a cover letter or testimonial. Still if someone wants to do it, do you think it's wise to upload in a particular section?

I am in process of collating my documents at the moment and plan to apply by the end of the month or early next month. And yes,

Please advise.
Thanks
S.
PS: It's going to be my first attempt and will apply all by myself, no agency to be involved! Wish me luck :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 2

Re: Cover letter, testimonial, volunteer work upload? but WHERE?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 10 Apr 2021 7:06 pm

You don't.

wishmeluck7

Post by wishmeluck7 » Sat, 10 Apr 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks!

jackyjacky88

Post by jackyjacky88 » Sat, 10 Apr 2021 10:35 pm

email them?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 Apr 2021 12:05 am

If they didn't ask for them, they won't even open them.

smoulder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by smoulder » Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:38 pm

During the days when you had to submit your docs at the ICA, I handed over a "cover letter" along with photocopies of the mandatory documents. It was promptly turned down by the officer. The previous time I had applied, the officer did accept it, but in hindsight, I realize that it probably ended up in trash.

wishmeluck7

Post by wishmeluck7 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks everyone.
A quick note about two condo friends, one from research background (first attempt) and other a techy (second attempt).
Both got the PR in the last seven days, and both had applied around Oct 2020.

So the friend, who is a researcher, applied via an agency that claims to have uploaded the cover letter on his behalf along with other testimonials, volunteer certificates etc. The agency claims to have attached bunch of docs (that are not asked by ICA) together as well and uploaded.

Of course, we can't take agency's word as such. It didn't even let my friend to come and see the upload and submission process.

I don't trust agencies myself. But was curious.

Now, the techy friend who also got the PR, just filled up the form--no frills. Form filled and uploaded.

The only additional thing he did was he emailed scan of couple of tech certifications he completed around January. He says his email was duly acknowledged.

Just thought of sharing the anecdotes.

Bests,

s.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 8:13 pm

Basically you have just confirmed everything we've told you.

kjose88

Post by kjose88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 8:17 pm

wishmeluck7 wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 8:00 pm
Thanks everyone.
A quick note about two condo friends, one from research background (first attempt) and other a techy (second attempt).
Both got the PR in the last seven days, and both had applied around Oct 2020.

So the friend, who is a researcher, applied via an agency that claims to have uploaded the cover letter on his behalf along with other testimonials, volunteer certificates etc. The agency claims to have attached bunch of docs (that are not asked by ICA) together as well and uploaded.

Of course, we can't take agency's word as such. It didn't even let my friend to come and see the upload and submission process.

I don't trust agencies myself. But was curious.

Now, the techy friend who also got the PR, just filled up the form--no frills. Form filled and uploaded.

The only additional thing he did was he emailed scan of couple of tech certifications he completed around January. He says his email was duly acknowledged.

Just thought of sharing the anecdotes.

Bests,

s.
Could you please tell a bit more about profile of your "condo" friends (years they've stayed in SG, profession, working spouse or not, kids, etc)?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 9:41 pm

Bloody nosey aren't we? The people he knows might not be appreciative of him revealing personal information without their express permission. I know I wouldn't be, considering how small Singapore is. And yes, I've been here a heck of a long time.

kjose88

Post by kjose88 » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 13 Apr 2021 9:41 pm
Bloody nosey aren't we? The people he knows might not be appreciative of him revealing personal information without their express permission. I know I wouldn't be, considering how small Singapore is. And yes, I've been here a heck of a long time.
Thank you for your needless sarcasm. Well, I am not asking him/her to reveal any personal details such as Name, NRIC, Address or even employer from which you can identify a person. However small SG is, you can't find a person by knowing how many years someone has lived here or if someone has kids or not. So, I'd suggest you not to poke your nose on every post on this forum without adding anything useful because that's not your right even if you're a moderator or you've spent your whole life here. Last but not the least, thanks for maintaining such a wonderful platform and I hope I didn't ask much from you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 1:03 am

Sorry if I've rubbed your fur the wrong way. The sarcasm is brought on directly by the BS posted by some members of this forum. Eventually, even long-stayers and moderators can only put up with so much useless shit that we have to go off the rails occasionally just to keep our sanity in what is becoming a cesspool of silliness on the forum. Singapore used to bring in FT to raise the IQ of the population. Sadly in the past couple of years, if the caliber of questions and the inability to use the search engine are any indication then the government is probably moving in the right direction in sending large numbers back to their own countries.

smoulder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by smoulder » Wed, 14 Apr 2021 1:36 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 14 Apr 2021 1:03 am
Sorry if I've rubbed your fur the wrong way. The sarcasm is brought on directly by the BS posted by some members of this forum. Eventually, even long-stayers and moderators can only put up with so much useless shit that we have to go off the rails occasionally just to keep our sanity in what is becoming a cesspool of silliness on the forum. Singapore used to bring in FT to raise the IQ of the population. Sadly in the past couple of years, if the caliber of questions and the inability to use the search engine are any indication then the government is probably moving in the right direction in sending large numbers back to their own countries.
Some folks here definitely need higher EQ. As you rightly pointed out, it may be a good thing that those are the ones struggling to stay on here and eventually get packed off.