Singapore Expats

From Employment Pass to Dependent Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
OzExpatr

From Employment Pass to Dependent Pass

Post by OzExpatr » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I have a complicated situation at hand and wondering whether any of you have been in a similar one.

I've been on an EP for quite a few years with the same company, my husband and son are my dependants and hold a DP.
I want to resign and quit my job, so my husband asked his company to get his own EP.

His company applied on 8/03 for his EP, and on 11/03 for my DP and for my son's DP (I didn't want
My husband's EP application was rejected 2 weeks ago because of a missing financial document (thanks to my husband's HR).
THey appealed and his EP was finally approved yesterday.

However, my DP and my son's appeals are still pending. I have a couple of questions:

- Could there be an hold up due to the fact that I already have an EP, and my son already has a DP?
- After I resign, I have to serve a 3 month notice. My plan is to wait for my approval, and once I receive the IPA resign and serve my 3 months. After that, I will ask my company to cancel my EP so that my husband's company can issue my DP. Am I missing something here?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: From Employment Pass to Dependent Pass

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 3:03 pm

OzExpatr wrote:
Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:39 pm
Hi all,

I have a complicated situation at hand and wondering whether any of you have been in a similar one.

I've been on an EP for quite a few years with the same company, my husband and son are my dependants and hold a DP.
I want to resign and quit my job, so my husband asked his company to get his own EP.

His company applied on 8/03 for his EP, and on 11/03 for my DP and for my son's DP (I didn't want
My husband's EP application was rejected 2 weeks ago because of a missing financial document (thanks to my husband's HR).
THey appealed and his EP was finally approved yesterday.

However, my DP and my son's appeals are still pending. I have a couple of questions:

- Could there be an hold up due to the fact that I already have an EP, and my son already has a DP?
- After I resign, I have to serve a 3 month notice. My plan is to wait for my approval, and once I receive the IPA resign and serve my 3 months. After that, I will ask my company to cancel my EP so that my husband's company can issue my DP. Am I missing something here?
Not related
Looks OK

OzExpatr

Post by OzExpatr » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 3:28 pm

Thank you for your feedback. This is stressing me to no end.
In addition I already received another job offer, could my potential new employer apply for a new EP if I am still in the 6 month period of IPA and my DP hasn't been issued yet?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 4:44 pm

No. You cannot have more than one application active at a time, the only was a 3rd employer can apply for an EP is if you tell the 2nd employer to withdraw the IAP. This greed thing has messed up a lot of families in the past because what ends up happening is there is a spanner thrown into the works at MOM and by the time it's sorted out both of the new potential employers get tire of a wishy-washy potential employee and the first employer may well refuse to hire them back as well. Tis a very dangerous game that is being played and most of the time, the instigator ends up being the loser in a big way. But. You buys your ticket and takes your chances.

You current employer cannot cancel your EP until your last day of notice, by law. Otherwise you are working illegally in Singapore and the employer can also get into deep brown stinky stuff and they cannot afford to be banned from hiring foreigners.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Amy934

Post by Amy934 » Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:33 am

I just switched from EP to DP. My husband's employer applied for DP for myself and our son before I officially resigned and got the IPA. When I was on EP, my son was holding DP under my EP and my husband has his own EP.

My EP was cancaled next business day after my last work day with my prior employer. Then my husband notified his HR to issue the DP for me and our son. This was my experience about 1 and half months ago so pretty recent. Everything went pretty smoothly.