Singapore Expats

Moving from AP to IB curriculum in Grade 10

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
supraja.winners

Moving from AP to IB curriculum in Grade 10

Post by supraja.winners » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:27 am

Hi,
We live in U.S. Our family might relocate to Singapore in summer 2020. My daughter will then have to start her Grade 10 in Singapore from Aug 2021. While its ideal smooth transition that she gets a placement in schools offering AP pathway, I'm not yet guaranteed placement. My next option is IB. But I'm anxious and unsure about the transition for my daughter from U.S curriculum to IB, especially at this crucial stage in high school. I would really appreciate any insights/inputs from people who have transitioned from U.S curriculum to to IB curriculum in Grade 10 and continued IBDP in Grade 11 & 12. I would like to hear about the challenges involved in the transition and whether the transition would increase/decrease your chance to return to top U.S colleges for further studies. Your inputs will be of great help to me. Thank you !

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Moving from AP to IB curriculum in Grade 10

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:11 pm

The fact that you are asking about a move that would have taken place in the past suggests you are probably a scammer who has copied someone else’s question. In any case, each system has its own merits. The IB is very well regarded among most colleges for its rigor and difficulty. However, it is a difficult switch to make from AP because they are so fundamentally different. By switching, you may inadvertently cause her grades to drop, which she can’t afford after 10th grade if she wishes to get into a good college.

supraja.winners

Post by supraja.winners » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:25 pm

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I typed 2020 incorrectly, by accident. We intend to move in summer 2021. I also thought the similar way you had mentioned. But thought of putting out here, to know if anyone underwent a similar transition and had insights to share. Thank you

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 4:29 pm

One other option is A levels in Singapore. Malcontent pointed out to me the other day that they are accepted widely in the US now. However timing is an issue - the academic years won't line up.

IB is a reasonable program but not great for students aiming for a tough STEM degree IME.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 9:58 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 06 Apr 2021 4:29 pm
One other option is A levels in Singapore. Malcontent pointed out to me the other day that they are accepted widely in the US now. However timing is an issue - the academic years won't line up.

IB is a reasonable program but not great for students aiming for a tough STEM degree IME.
Yes, IB is geared more towards the arts and humanities. The AP program is more neutral, while the A level track is more for STEM.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 06 Apr 2021 10:03 pm

supraja.winners wrote:
Tue, 06 Apr 2021 2:25 pm
Thanks for your reply. Sorry I typed 2020 incorrectly, by accident. We intend to move in summer 2021. I also thought the similar way you had mentioned. But thought of putting out here, to know if anyone underwent a similar transition and had insights to share. Thank you
No worries. My daughter is doing the A level curriculum. She’s in her last year at RI, and it is very tough. Of course, she has been here her whole life so the shock was not too bad. I don’t recommend you enroll your daughter in the same program unless you’re confident that she can handle the rigor and difficulty. I suggest you enroll her in an International School that offers the AP program where she will have an abundance of choices in terms of what subjects to take. However, if she is more inclined towards STEM subjects, IB may be a better option.