Singapore Expats

How easily can husband work in Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How easily can husband work in Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 03 Apr 2021 6:32 pm

An anecdote. I lost my job in an American MNC on the 25th. 31st was my last offical working day.

I rang around and was at work by the morning of the 31st as an independent freelance engineer (actually to be frank more of a technician). I was hired as 1/ I am a known entity in the industry 2/ I am a PR.

The second point is the important one. No one can get people into Singapore. The barriers have raised significantly. Because your husband CAN get in he may actually have a bit of a head start to get a job because he is here and the employer can probably get an LOC for him (but at the new salary limits). He HAS to be here though.

Networking is the way and yes, the Frogs stick together so use their network. Just don't bring an accordion with you.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 12:50 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 03 Apr 2021 6:32 pm
Just don't bring an accordion with you.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 04 Apr 2021 9:47 am

Reminds me of the joke about an American general and DeGaulle....

DeGaulle - we demand all American's leave France!
American - does that include the ones buried all over your country?

Saying that; the words of gratitude that the French leave in the visitors books at the Commonwealth Cemeteries all over France are often very touching. My great Uncle fought there.

randomluser

Post by randomluser » Tue, 13 Apr 2021 4:55 pm

I know of EP holders who got EP's at new employers recently (last 1-2 months) because they already are in Singapore. Someone on a DP who then gets an EP from a sponsoring company is definitely a thing.

There aren't enough locals/PR's to meet the demand in certain areas, so companies still have to look at EP holders, but Covid restrictions make it almost impossible to get an EP from outside. So next-best-thing is to hire an EP holder (or other foreigner who is already in Singapore..) who is already in-country if a local/PR can't be found.

Do note that any job must go on the jobs board for locals for 15 or is it 30 days, and the hiring company has to show proof that they interviewed at least 10 (?) locals for the position, before they can submit an EP application. This is why EP sponsorship is such a huge hassle for them - but that has been the case for 5+ years now (Fair Consideration Framework), the main difference now is the difficulty and expense of flying people in.

Izaboo

Post by Izaboo » Wed, 12 May 2021 9:31 pm

Thank you all for your feedback, and hilarious for the accordion (took me a minute to get it though :lol: )

We are moving forward with my company who is putting together an expat package for me and my family, so we should be fine in the beginning. I understand it will not be easy for my husband to find a job, but he'll be there legally with a DP, which increases his chances.

Now let's see if/when we can enter Singapore, our move is planned for end of 2021/beg 2022 so many things can change by then!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 14 May 2021 4:54 pm

Izaboo wrote:
Wed, 12 May 2021 9:31 pm
Thank you all for your feedback, and hilarious for the accordion (took me a minute to get it though :lol: )

We are moving forward with my company who is putting together an expat package for me and my family, so we should be fine in the beginning. I understand it will not be easy for my husband to find a job, but he'll be there legally with a DP, which increases his chances.

Now let's see if/when we can enter Singapore, our move is planned for end of 2021/beg 2022 so many things can change by then!
French are known for playing for Accordions according to the old TV series "allo allo".

No one likes accordian music.

EPs are becoming a real headache. Good luck.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 17 May 2021 9:58 pm