Singapore Expats Forum

Change of Employers in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

bittenbythebug

Change of Employers in Singapore

Postby bittenbythebug » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 6:21 pm

I have just been offered new employment in an MNC. Was earning 130 K including bonuses, will now be earning 155K plus bonuses.

Am an Engineer +MBA from a worldwide top 10 Univ.

However, I have read some disturbing comments on this Forum. SOme people's Employment Passes have been rejected while changing over. Assuming that most people earn a little more when they change employers, I wonder what would be the driving principle at the MOM.

Now Im in a dilemma whether to resign and reapply and take that risk of being rejected or apply concurrently and hope for the best! ( perhaps my company will get to know I have applied for an EP with another company, which puts me on very weak ground should the new EP be rejected!)

Any one has any advise or input to add?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 6:31 pm

One can never say with absolute certainty but if I were a betting man, I'd say go for it.

a) You've already got an EP... a good start to getting another one, especially if your new company has experience in obtaining them.

b) You have a salary that MoM likes, and it is getting even bigger. You'll pay lots of Singapore income tax, and that makes you wlecome.

You might check with your future employer as to their views on the subject, and depending upon how long you've been here, maybe you ought to look at a PR.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 9:25 pm

Just remember that when you change employer completly your current employer if you are paying tax in Singapore will need to withhold your last pay check until the Tax Department has cleared it (I.e taken out what you owe them from it) This can take about two monhts so if youv'e got financial commitments make sure you have a tide me through in place and that your new Employer takes up your position and pay as soon as possible.

I went through this last year at the height of my divorce and was without Employee for the two months it took for my last poay check to clear - It was'nt pleasant at all...