Singapore Expats

Heightened sensitivity to germ transmission

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
AnnieDang

Re: Heightened sensitivity to germ transmission

Post by AnnieDang » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 3:04 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 28 Mar 2021 7:12 pm
I spent 23 years riding the MRT to and from work daily. For the first 2 years I got sick about once every 2 weeks. Over time I learned to make changes and slowly got it down to once per month, then every other month. You could argue that a stronger immunity came into play, but I was also dealing with a far more crowded train and much greater exposure in recent years. Suffice it to say, I’ve had plenty of time to experiment and observe outcomes. Before Covid, I had it down to my lowest ever, an average of just once per year, and that is why I really wasn’t too worried when Covid arrived.

Besides not touching anything, I only breathe air in the peripheral areas of the train, I stay near the corners/edges/doors of the carriage, same thing inside lifts. If anyone coughs or sneezes near me, I hold my breath until am clear of their germ cloud. Now that people are wearing masks, the germ clouds are more confined, and that makes it easier to avoid.
Even after Covid is completely gone, people still keep the habit packing masks in their pocket/purse in case someone is sick and sneezes. I found the best mask holder called Pro Shield mask holder. It can keep 2 masks separately in the same case. its very small (around 9.5x6.5) to fit nicely in your pocket/purse.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 5:01 pm

AnnieDang wrote:
Mon, 29 Mar 2021 3:04 pm
Even after Covid is completely gone, people still keep the habit packing masks in their pocket/purse in case someone is sick and sneezes.
If we learn one good thing from COVID, it's not "wear masks", but >stay home when you're sick<!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 9:29 pm

I’ve said this before, the typical mask does little to filter any germs you might breath in - only a surgical N95 is effective at that. So let’s not kid ourselves. What wearing a mask does is reduce your own germ dispersal range so that fewer are likely to breathe in your stuff.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:25 pm

AnnieDang is flogging the said masks. She joined today, made her 1st post 1 minute later and the next two posts were flogging said masks. I didn't delete the posts, but she's history in her current guise. - moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”