Singapore Expats

EP employee working from outside singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
expat_nando

EP employee working from outside singapore

Post by expat_nando » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 3:41 pm

Hello experts!

I would like to know if an EP employee can work from outside Singapore while being on EP and getting paid in SGD? Will there be any tax issue, I suppose I will still need to pay SG taxes?
and is there a limit on the number of days/month one can work outside while on EP?

TIA!

geloangelo101

Re: EP employee working from outside singapore

Post by geloangelo101 » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 4:30 pm

Hi it depends on the environment of the company if they can do WFH outside SG while waiting for the safe entry pass to be approved. One of my friend is working overseas while waiting for the safe entry to be approved and still receiving a pay every month. For tax they will do the assessment every next year of March so you will still have to pay the tax.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 2:07 am

If you are employed by a Singapore company, and that Singapore company is holding your EP, then you can be seconded to another country to work and still be considered resident in Singapore for tax purposes.

But, if you are working in another country for so long that you become tax resident there, then your company is obligated to hire you as an employee in that other country, through a company formed in that other country.

In other words, if you are working outside of Singapore for short periods, you're OK. Longer periods, your tax status changes.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 3:02 pm

There are exceptions MD. Dubai for example where there is no income tax.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 02 Apr 2021 1:02 pm

expat_nando wrote:
Fri, 19 Mar 2021 3:41 pm
Hello experts!

I would like to know if an EP employee can work from outside Singapore while being on EP and getting paid in SGD? Will there be any tax issue, I suppose I will still need to pay SG taxes?
and is there a limit on the number of days/month one can work outside while on EP?

TIA!
You MAY be subjected to taxes in both Singapore and also in the country where you work from (if you exceed staying certain number of days in that country)

skapo_80

Post by skapo_80 » Sun, 22 Jan 2023 3:50 pm

From the Singapore government perspective, what would the government do if a person were spending 11 months per year outside of Singapore, but paying their taxes to IRAS? I assume there is no reason they would have an issue?

I ask because I have contacts who travel more than 6 months per year, but have a home base here in Singapore, and they pay their income taxes here

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 22 Jan 2023 8:56 pm

skapo_80 wrote:
Sun, 22 Jan 2023 3:50 pm
From the Singapore government perspective, what would the government do if a person were spending 11 months per year outside of Singapore, but paying their taxes to IRAS? I assume there is no reason they would have an issue?

I ask because I have contacts who travel more than 6 months per year, but have a home base here in Singapore, and they pay their income taxes here
No issues for EP.

But why are you worried for your contacts?