Singapore Expats

Work from home oversea

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sica

Work from home oversea

Post by sica » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:14 am

Hi All,

I am a singapore permanent resident. I am having a 2 year contract with a company in Singapore.
Due to my job scope change this year, i am kind of work from home now in Singapore ( global job scope and reporting to boss in other country). I am thinking to move to my home country and continue to work from home there.

I heard that it is legaly to have a work contract in Singapore, but living in other country as long as you are pay tax in the country you are in.And will my company in Singapore continue paying my CPF here?
Do you know where can i find this information in some government website like MOM,?
Anyone has been through the same situation, please share your experience

Thanks a lot

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Work from home oversea

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:59 am

You'd be better off IMO requesting your employer change your employment contract to allow you to work in your home country and leave Singapore on a permanent basis.

At some point the ICA/MOM are going to look hard at the actual residencies of PR's working from other countries and start cancelling REP's I think. You don't want that surprise (i.e. better a planned move than an unplanned one).

I know with my employer we have discussed this and their view is that if I moved back to Australia for more than 90 days I should have a new contract executed and make the move permanent. This is because my employers wants to remain tax compliant globally and they know that if I live in Oz for 90 days or more then I should be tax resident in Australia.

Remember ICA will know you're are not here and they will access IRAS records when your REP comes up (or maybe before for all I know). They will put two and two together.

Edit: if you ignore this advice and move overseas I think the consensus is that your next REP will be for "12 months in order to get your affairs in order". I may be wrong but I would not risk it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 2:00 am

Fully agree with PNGMK's assessment. And to add... the country that you are living in really wants you to pay income tax there... that's the essence of tax treaties... you pay income taxes where you live.
If you get caught paying Singapore tax instead of resident tax (assuming you've met the residency requirements), you'll get whacked.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 8:04 am

My former boss was a Singapore PR (China origin) who was an employee of our Singapore Pte Ltd and sent to Australia for about 5 years. She remained on Singapore payroll throughout and was able to squeak by and renew her REP, but it took a LOT of convincing... including a letter by our company that explained what she was doing and why, that she was still on Singapore payroll making CPF contributions, and that the move was temporary and she would be sent back to Singapore. It was finally renewed and she did come back for a couple of years... but then quit and moved to Australia for good.

I know it was a tough decision for her, giving up a highly paid position here, she had even intended to apply for SC but timing killed the idea - it was clear that her kids wouldn’t get SC in time for primary school enrollment. This is one clear example of how sharper differentiation has unintended consequences.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 6:51 pm

^ Yes Mal, secondment is about the only way this can be done now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!