Terrible thai restaurant

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Terrible thai restaurant

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 7:47 pm

I just wanted to share a terrible experience that I had at a thai restaurant this afternoon. I was at Suntec city and decided to try Sanook Thai Kitchen. They advertised themselves as authentic and the prices were pretty reasonable (most dishes under $20). I ordered the pad thai and thai milk tea, while my colleague ordered the tomyum rice noodles and red ruby for dessert. With the exception of the bowl of red ruby, everything else was terrible. The food arrived cold despite there being barely any other diners in the restaurant (was the food unfresh? left to sit in the window?). The staff insisted that nothing could be done when we asked. Everything was tasteless, and the portions were ridiculously small. I didn’t have high expectations going in seeing as the food was so cheap, but even compared to other thai restaurants who price themselves similarly (Nakhon), Sanook pales in comparison. Inauthentic and unappetizing. Save yourself the disappointment and give them a miss.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Terrible thai restaurant

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 8:30 am

I would recommend Penguin on Opal Rd for Thai. It's a little place in a bit of a back alley but is really good food and good value. Pad Thai is $8. It's a short walk from my place and a favourite
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 8:47 am

I'd recommend Esarn - there are a few branches (my 'local' being at Pasir Panjang Road).
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 2:57 pm

So Lisa, the lesson is ask here first :cool:
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:41 pm

Addadude wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 8:47 am
I'd recommend Esarn - there are a few branches (my 'local' being at Pasir Panjang Road).
Any recommended dishes?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:46 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 8:30 am
I would recommend Penguin on Opal Rd for Thai. It's a little place in a bit of a back alley but is really good food and good value. Pad Thai is $8. It's a short walk from my place and a favourite
I’ll give them a try if I find myself in the area. Thanks for the recommendation!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:55 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 7:47 pm
I just wanted to share a terrible experience that I had at a thai restaurant this afternoon. I was at Suntec city and decided to try Sanook Thai Kitchen. They advertised themselves as authentic and the prices were pretty reasonable (most dishes under $20). I ordered the pad thai and thai milk tea, while my colleague ordered the tomyum rice noodles and red ruby for dessert. With the exception of the bowl of red ruby, everything else was terrible. The food arrived cold despite there being barely any other diners in the restaurant (was the food unfresh? left to sit in the window?). The staff insisted that nothing could be done when we asked. Everything was tasteless, and the portions were ridiculously small. I didn’t have high expectations going in seeing as the food was so cheap, but even compared to other thai restaurants who price themselves similarly (Nakhon), Sanook pales in comparison. Inauthentic and unappetizing. Save yourself the disappointment and give them a miss.
I think I was sanookered by that same restaurant many many years ago. Near my home we have Thai Noodle House, which as the name suggests is only good for noodles - don’t even bother with the other dishes. And further afield, Joe’s Kitchen on Alexandra, they have good tom yum & curry. Both of these places are popular because their prices are reasonable and some of their dishes aren’t bad.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 18 Mar 2021 11:27 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:41 pm
Addadude wrote:
Any recommended dishes?
My better half and I tend to go for the Appetizer Platter, the Basil Chicken/Beef or Cashew Nut Chicken, and sometimes the Chicken Fried Rice. Drinks wise, my missus likes the Lemongrass (I go for the Singha beer or a glass of white wine...) For dessert, the Mano Delight is pretty nice.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 7:38 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:55 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 7:47 pm
I think I was sanookered by that same restaurant many many years ago. Near my home we have Thai Noodle House, which as the name suggests is only good for noodles - don’t even bother with the other dishes. And further afield, Joe’s Kitchen on Alexandra, they have good tom yum & curry. Both of these places are popular because their prices are reasonable and some of their dishes aren’t bad.
Hahaha. I’ve had Joe’s Thai quite a few times, I love their green curry and claypot prawn vermicelli. Where is Thai Noodle House? Are you referring to the one near Coronation Plaza?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 7:39 pm

Addadude wrote:
Thu, 18 Mar 2021 11:27 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:41 pm
Addadude wrote:
Any recommended dishes?
My better half and I tend to go for the Appetizer Platter, the Basil Chicken/Beef or Cashew Nut Chicken, and sometimes the Chicken Fried Rice. Drinks wise, my missus likes the Lemongrass (I go for the Singha beer or a glass of white wine...) For dessert, the Mano Delight is pretty nice.
Sounds delicious, I love Basil chicken. I’ll make sure to give them a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 9:26 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 20 Mar 2021 7:38 pm
Hahaha. I’ve had Joe’s Thai quite a few times, I love their green curry and claypot prawn vermicelli. Where is Thai Noodle House? Are you referring to the one near Coronation Plaza?
Yes, Thai Noodle House is near Coronation, Thai family owned. They tried expanding once and we tried eating at their branch but it wasn’t any good - it quickly closed down.

Again, I wouldn’t recommend anything other than their simple noodle dishes (like beef noodle soup or paad Thai) and the mango sticky rice (when they have it) is also good... but I have to say, the other Thai dishes just don’t cut it, sorry to say. I honestly think they only sell those dishes to non-regulars who don’t know any better.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 20 Mar 2021 10:12 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 20 Mar 2021 9:26 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 20 Mar 2021 7:38 pm
Yes, Thai Noodle House is near Coronation, Thai family owned. They tried expanding once and we tried eating at their branch but it wasn’t any good - it quickly closed down.

Again, I wouldn’t recommend anything other than their simple noodle dishes (like beef noodle soup or paad Thai) and the mango sticky rice (when they have it) is also good... but I have to say, the other Thai dishes just don’t cut it, sorry to say. I honestly think they only sell those dishes to non-regulars who don’t know any better.
I see, I’m in the area all the time (in fact, I was just there yesterday) but chose to eat a cosy corner instead. I’ll give their Pad Thai a try.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:11 am

I believe cosy corner is that famous popiah place on the 2nd floor of Coronation Plaza? They have one of the best popiah in Singapore, my wife often picks those up for us.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:50 am

Mal, that's a name I've not heard mentioned in quite a while. I used to live just opposite there up on the hillside in Watten Estates when I first came to Sg back in '82. Stayed there almost a year and then moved to Seletar Camp where I spent the next 15 years till I bought my flat. Back when I lived across from Coronation Plaza it wasn't unusual for Dunhearn Rd to flood before they widened the canal. Haven't been to the plaza for donkey's years. The front left corner of the Plaza used to be a drive through Petro Kiosk. For years after it closed it reeked of petro fumes. The rest aside from the NTUC used to be photocopy shops who would copy entire books as long as you paid for it. Plagerizing was the name of the game back then. What's in there now? Aside from the mentioned restaurant.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 1:15 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:11 am
I believe cosy corner is that famous popiah place on the 2nd floor of Coronation Plaza? They have one of the best popiah in Singapore, my wife often picks those up for us.
Yes, but I go there for the laksa as well. The place is tiny, but the food is amazing. I recommend the laksa, mee siam, and obviously the popiah. It’s very hard to find a seat during peak hours as you may imagine, so if you’re planning to eat there go mid-afternoon on a weekday.