Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Terrible thai restaurant

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 1:18 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:50 am
Mal, that's a name I've not heard mentioned in quite a while. I used to live just opposite there up on the hillside in Watten Estates when I first came to Sg back in '82. Stayed there almost a year and then moved to Seletar Camp where I spent the next 15 years till I bought my flat. Back when I lived across from Coronation Plaza it wasn't unusual for Dunhearn Rd to flood before they widened the canal. Haven't been to the plaza for donkey's years. The front left corner of the Plaza used to be a drive through Petro Kiosk. For years after it closed it reeked of petro fumes. The rest aside from the NTUC used to be photocopy shops who would copy entire books as long as you paid for it. Plagerizing was the name of the game back then. What's in there now? Aside from the mentioned restaurant.
Tuition centers mostly. There are a couple of eateries, and a fairprice, but other than that it’s turned into somewhat of a tuition hub. There’s a fantastic impossible burger truck outside called Goodburger, the ambience is great. Delicious burgers and a roadside stall atmosphere.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:01 am

SMS, don't forget that arcade shop in Coronation back then. Dropped a freaking fortune worth of 20 cent coins in that uncle's machines.

Those xerox shops were another one of my favorites. They saved me a bundle on all kinds of compulsory school reading shizzle. Plus also, you could get a pretty decent high from the ink vapor clouds hanging around there.

:shock:

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:24 am

Apparently there used to be a Holland Circus roundabout at the corner Farrer/Holland with a fountain. I believe they built the flyover in the early to mid-90’s, just before I arrived. The Queensway/Commonwealth underpass was still under construction when I started commuting to the office via that route in 1997.

Watten Estate is a really nice place (very ulu and laid back). I have eaten at the Arcadia Chinese restaurant back there, it’s one of the most homey restaurants in Singapore!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 2:02 am

Golden mile restaurants get my vote for great Thai food in Singapore. Beats those mall restaurant chains any day.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 9:51 am

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 2:02 am
Golden mile restaurants get my vote for great Thai food in Singapore. Beats those mall restaurant chains any day.
I have always heard that, and did try once but the restaurant we tried seemed just so-so. Any restaurant in particular that is recommended?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:32 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 9:51 am
smoulder wrote:
I have always heard that, and did try once but the restaurant we tried seemed just so-so. Any restaurant in particular that is recommended?
Some of the names elude me right now - thanks to covid I've not been there in a while.

1. Lucky Thai is one name I recall

2. There's a big restaurant next to lucky Thai near the escalator which is OK

3. My pick though is the restaurant towards the back.

Be warned. Some of the food is pretty fiery.

Sorry I couldn't remember the names :(

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:51 pm

malcontent wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Great Thai in the Tanah Merah area serves really authentic and relatively affordable Thai food, although its pretty out of the way if you don’t live in the East.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:53 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:11 am
I believe cosy corner is that famous popiah place on the 2nd floor of Coronation Plaza? They have one of the best popiah in Singapore, my wife often picks those up for us.
The popiah on the 3rd floor is even better..and cheaper, cosy charges like $2.50 but the competitor upstairs charges like $1.80? And real solid chilli and condiments I must say...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:54 pm

malcontent wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Sorry Mal, I just reread your post and realized I misunderstood. My favorite spot in Golden Mile is Beerthai House Restaurant. If its not too busy, you can request for pretty much any off-menu Thai dish and the chef will make it for you.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:54 pm

Some of my favourite Thai restaurants are Bali Thai and Thanying. Although i havent set foot in thanying for almost 10 years but I did find theirs very authentic.

There was one in Funan before the renovation which was darn good, but I could not remember its name and not sure if they are still in business, if anyone remembers, please let me know if they still exist.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:57 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:53 pm
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:11 am
I believe cosy corner is that famous popiah place on the 2nd floor of Coronation Plaza? They have one of the best popiah in Singapore, my wife often picks those up for us.
The popiah on the 3rd floor is even better..and cheaper, cosy charges like $2.50 but the competitor upstairs charges like $1.80? And real solid chilli and condiments I must say...
I must disagree, I’m fiercely loyal to Cosy corner. Admittedly, the food is on the expensive side (laksa is around $5) but I feel that the food is worth the price. i tried the popish from the 3rd floor when cosy corner was closed, but the taste was not comparable at all. I’d rather spend an extra $0.70 to spring for cosy corner’s version.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:01 pm

abbby wrote:
Sat, 12 Jun 2021 9:54 pm
Some of my favourite Thai restaurants are Bali Thai and Thanying. Although i havent set foot in thanying for almost 10 years but I did find theirs very authentic.

There was one in Funan before the renovation which was darn good, but I could not remember its name and not sure if they are still in business, if anyone remembers, please let me know if they still exist.
The only Thai spots in Funan right now are Saap Saap Thai and Sanook Thai Kitchen. The former is unremarkable, but the latter is terrible (its the reason this thread exists in the first place). What do you get at Bali Thai? The last time I was there I got the Pad Thai with Satay, but it was so-so.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:04 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:32 am
malcontent wrote:
smoulder wrote:
Some of the names elude me right now - thanks to covid I've not been there in a while.

1. Lucky Thai is one name I recall

2. There's a big restaurant next to lucky Thai near the escalator which is OK

3. My pick though is the restaurant towards the back.

Be warned. Some of the food is pretty fiery.

Sorry I couldn't remember the names :(
The restaurants in the back are the best. I haven’t been to golden mile in a couple years, but the times I went I noticed long queues at the stores in the front (Diandin Leluk and NaNa), but much shorter queues at the stores in the back. Such a waste because in my opinion the best restaurants are those in the very back; my personal favorite is Beerthai House.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 11:48 pm

I usually dont love Thai food in Singapore but one of the places I like is Yhingthai Palace in Purvis Street .

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:57 am

I tried Esarn at Ridgewood condo, so a different branch than Addadude recommended, and the experience was at best very average. I wonder if they vary that much from branch to branch.