Singapore Expats Forum

Relocating to singapore: Salary and some questions

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

mallika

Relocating to singapore: Salary and some questions

Postby mallika » Tue, 18 May 2004 1:41 am

Hi,
I am planning to relocate to singapore in the next few months and I have few questions about the job situation.
I have done my Masters in Computer Engineering from United States and also have 6 years of IT experience(not in US). What is the current job scenario in the IT industry? How much I can expect as salary with my experience.

mallika

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 18 May 2004 11:57 pm

The market's bad but (slowly) getting better. Usual advice: line up a job before you migrate... or are you a Singaporean returning from your studies?

Re: Relocating to singapore: Salary and some questions

Postby guest » Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:19 am

mallika wrote:Hi,
I am planning to relocate to singapore in the next few months and I have few questions about the job situation.
I have done my Masters in Computer Engineering from United States and also have 6 years of IT experience(not in US). What is the current job scenario in the IT industry? How much I can expect as salary with my experience.

mallika

if you have other options in USa then do not come here. IT salary sucks here. the only jobs for which you can come here is financial jobs for which sometimes you can be paid in US dollar salary. my advice is if you are coming (there is no chance to escape) somehow find a computer job in finacial/investment bank then you will not miss united staes. do not think of IBM/HP or any computer company salary sucks here like anything. singapore is full of indian IT expats who work on a salary of 35,000-40,000 salary. but you can with your experience can get 50,000 SGD but in long term you will have to stick to it. look for financial jobs is my last advice otherwise what I say no you wil again repeat after coming here " singapore salary sucks".