Singapore Expats

PR to SC for partial family

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
simple_guy
Regular
Regular

Re: PR to SC for partial family

Post by simple_guy » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 6:39 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 5:33 pm
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:55 pm
Not all those who apply for PR are here to sink roots. For many, PR is viewed as a longer-term EP, but they don’t intend to stay long enough to to see their kids do NS.
And you wonder why there is discourse towards foreigners. Someone comes here just to take advantage of the benefits in the system and just kthxbye at the end. This is denying other people who genuinely want to stay here forever.

It’s called permanent residency for a reason. You have intentions to be here permanently.
Interesting...then why PR don't get SC easily???!!!!. they are already showing intentions when applying for SC?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:17 pm

Hmmm.... I’ve been on an EP during my entire 24 years in Singapore... what are all these fabulous benefits I’ve been missing out on?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:19 pm

You have a PR spouse, I can sense your sarcasm a mile away.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by the observer » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:29 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:17 pm
Hmmm.... I’ve been on an EP during my entire 24 years in Singapore... what are all these fabulous benefits I’ve been missing out on?
Haha. Four letters. Starts with A... ends with D

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 8:21 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 2:23 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:18 am
Also rumours are that Indonesian Chinese are not in the front of the Chinese Queue but back behind the MY, HK, ROC and just in front of the PRC Chinese.
Any thoughts as to why? Is it because most Indonesian Chinese typically have a limited command of the Chinese language compared to Chinese from MY/HK/TW? I would think language is unlikely factor since there are many English educated Chinese Singaporeans who aren’t that fluent either. Maybe they are simply considered culturally less Chinese? But that wouldn’t explain why they are preferred over PRC. Maybe they are simply using actual statistics on the odds of successful integration and settling in Singapore permanently?

I also noticed the type of PRC Chinese they have let in seems to have evolved over the past 10 years, it’s almost like they are profiling their personality to select ones that integrate better - in the earlier waves, it seemed like there were many here that stuck out like a sore thumb and were clearly less able to integrate.
It's a cold war hangover. Konfrontasi, the McDonald's House bombing were all done by Indonesian commies who were mostly Indonesian Chinese. LKY shut them out. Haven't you ever wondered why we haven't got a big brain drain from Jakarta to Singapore?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 9:24 pm

the observer wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:29 pm
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 7:17 pm
Haha. Four letters. Starts with A... ends with D
Maybe that is a benefit for some - but I’m from one of 5 countries that enjoys ABSD remission.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:30 pm

Ah yes, americano.

I guess there’s benefits for the other 180-odd nationals who take up PRship.

The other tangibles are school fees.
Easily 10-20k a year of savings.

Subsidized medical care at national institutes like the skin center, heart center, etc etc.

Short summary, for the less well off, there’s a decent bump in savings.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:50 pm

I agree, ABSD is a big one, 5% vs. 20% can easily reach 6 figures. Employer contributions to CPF can also add up. Had my employer not provided a substitute program, it might be different. But, as it stands, no benefit for me... and with growing expectations of quid pro quo, it seems best to stick with the status quo.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sat, 13 Mar 2021 8:16 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 12 Mar 2021 5:33 pm
malcontent wrote:
Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:55 pm
Not all those who apply for PR are here to sink roots. For many, PR is viewed as a longer-term EP, but they don’t intend to stay long enough to to see their kids do NS.
And you wonder why there is discourse towards foreigners. Someone comes here just to take advantage of the benefits in the system and just kthxbye at the end. This is denying other people who genuinely want to stay here forever.

It’s called permanent residency for a reason. You have intentions to be here permanently.
For PRs with no kids I would rather think it's beneficial for Singapore if they go back home when they retire.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 13 Mar 2021 2:33 pm

Agree, the harsh reality is that in a place where space is at such a high premium, getting rid of any dead weight will surely maximize the output per unit of space available. If more can retire abroad it will improve space utilization and reduce the need to support those who are past their prime. Even more so for the young, random births produce random intelligence, a random talent pool that costs much more to raise and educate here versus abroad at no cost to the state. With immigration you can pick and choose the best and brightest who are in their prime to fill the needs far better than letting nature take its course. Yet, a strong core citizenry is necessary (even if not economically efficient) to maintain national cohesion and sense of belonging. So a balance must be struck in a way that is perceived to be fair and equitable... but so far it seems to have only fanned the flames of entitlement and discontent - I’m not sure what the solution is.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 11 Mar 2021 2:14 am
Sis-in-law #1 - reasonable chance. At least 50:50 and worth a shot as long as the kids are on the same application. Without the children, wouldn't bet a wooden nickel on it.

Sis-in-law #2 - if the kids father is the husband, he's got no chance of PR. Wife no chance of SGC without the kids.
The verdict is in on Sis-in-law #1. She and her 3 boys have been approved for SGC. Interestingly, they asked for the boys’ PSLE results. I guess this was to see if they were smart enough to make the cut? Apparently all 3 are sufficiently brainy (PSLE scores all well over 260 and studying at top schools). Not sure if that tipped the scales… I wonder if they have a COP?

The verdict is still out on the other in-laws.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:45 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:05 pm
The verdict is in on Sis-in-law #1. She and her 3 boys have been approved for SGC. Interestingly, they asked for the boys’ PSLE results. I guess this was to see if they were smart enough to make the cut? Apparently all 3 are sufficiently brainy (PSLE scores all well over 260 and studying at top schools). Not sure if that tipped the scales… I wonder if they have a COP?

Good news I guess, pass on the congrats! Just curious, how old are the two younger boys? You mentioned one was in NS. The other two must be at least Sec 2 if under t-score.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 10:32 pm

NYY1 wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:45 pm
malcontent wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 9:05 pm

Good news I guess, pass on the congrats! Just curious, how old are the two younger boys? You mentioned one was in NS. The other two must be at least Sec 2 if under t-score.
Thank you on their behalf. Yes, the youngest is in S3, the middle one is in IB11, same age as my daughter, and the oldest is in NS and already accepted into NUS. I asked them if they want to be Singaporeans, and they all said yes, why not.