best coffee maker

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Post Reply
User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: best coffee maker

Post by malcontent » Wed, 10 Mar 2021 7:46 pm

I am the maker. Just grind, soak & strain... the soak & strain part is the same as for tea.

If you don’t like my way, try a French press - that’s the next best option.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 1

Re: best coffee maker

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 10 Mar 2021 8:50 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 10 Mar 2021 7:46 pm
I am the maker. Just grind, soak & strain... the soak & strain part is the same as for tea.

If you don’t like my way, try a French press - that’s the next best option.
I need my coffee before work in the morning but I’m always in such a rush so I don’t have time to make it myself. A machine is the best option for me. Back home in America we use a really lovely Keurig machine. In Singapore, we use a Nespresso machine. Both work great.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: best coffee maker

Post by malcontent » Wed, 10 Mar 2021 9:27 pm

I am a bit of a lean freak when it comes to process efficiency. It’s 10 seconds to scoop the ground coffee into the pot, dispense the hot water and cover. I then tell Siri to set a timer for 6 minutes and go take a shower. Once the timer is up, it’s 10 seconds to strain, add milk & stir.

Total time = less than 30 seconds.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 1

Re: best coffee maker

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 13 Mar 2021 10:06 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 10 Mar 2021 9:27 pm
I am a bit of a lean freak when it comes to process efficiency. It’s 10 seconds to scoop the ground coffee into the pot, dispense the hot water and cover. I then tell Siri to set a timer for 6 minutes and go take a shower. Once the timer is up, it’s 10 seconds to strain, add milk & stir.

Total time = less than 30 seconds.
What about cleanup? That must take quite a bit of time. My machine is self cleaning, I just do a deep clean once every week.

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: best coffee maker

Post by malcontent » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:07 am

Good catch, after straining I have to dump the grinds in the trash and rinse the strainer out, that does take an extra 15-20 seconds. I guess I just like the simplicity of the whole operation. If you ever notice how they make coffee or tea in Singapore, it’s a similar operation except they typically use a cloth “sock” strainer and I use an ultra-fine metal one that almost has the same filter density as the cloth. I had considered getting a coffee machine at one time, but that adds clutter and we already have such a wide assortment of kitchen appliances already... waffle iron, electric can opener, toaster, toaster oven, microwave, juicer, blender, hot water dispenser, rice cooker, crock pot. Maybe if they had an under the cupboard coffee maker - - wouldn’t that be a novelty item here?
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38735
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 4
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: best coffee maker

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 1:04 pm

Hey Mal, there's your chance for the big time and a chance to go on Shark Tank. (Or Kickstarter).
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
malcontent
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: best coffee maker

Post by malcontent » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 1:52 pm

Companies that make coffee makers would probably be out for my blood!

It’s a similar case with oatmeal, many believe it requires cooking. I eat oats at least 3-4 times a week... at the office I got a lot of curious looks, especially after they learn I’m NOT using the quick or instant variety... I just add raw dark brown sugar and hot water from the dispenser, wait 10 minutes and drink it straight from my coffee mug!

I’m not the type to be bound by convention, I always use the back of a spoon to spread butter on my toast - it just works better!
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 1

Re: best coffee maker

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:44 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 14 Mar 2021 1:52 pm
Companies that make coffee makers would probably be out for my blood!

It’s a similar case with oatmeal, many believe it requires cooking. I eat oats at least 3-4 times a week... at the office I got a lot of curious looks, especially after they learn I’m NOT using the quick or instant variety... I just add raw dark brown sugar and hot water from the dispenser, wait 10 minutes and drink it straight from my coffee mug!

I’m not the type to be bound by convention, I always use the back of a spoon to spread butter on my toast - it just works better!
Try overnight oats! Let the oats sit overnight in the fridge in a liquid of your choosing, add toppings, and it’s cold and delicious in the morning! I use milk with a little brown sugar and some fresh fruit (whatever I have on hand).

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 1

Re: best coffee maker

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:48 am

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:07 am
Good catch, after straining I have to dump the grinds in the trash and rinse the strainer out, that does take an extra 15-20 seconds. I guess I just like the simplicity of the whole operation. If you ever notice how they make coffee or tea in Singapore, it’s a similar operation except they typically use a cloth “sock” strainer and I use an ultra-fine metal one that almost has the same filter density as the cloth. I had considered getting a coffee machine at one time, but that adds clutter and we already have such a wide assortment of kitchen appliances already... waffle iron, electric can opener, toaster, toaster oven, microwave, juicer, blender, hot water dispenser, rice cooker, crock pot. Maybe if they had an under the cupboard coffee maker - - wouldn’t that be a novelty item here?
You’re definitely right about the clutter. Between the air fryer, blender, rice cooker, toaster oven, microwave, and coffee machine, my kitchen counter has no room to spare. But it’s the convenience and consistent taste that keeps me from selling the machine. Although there is merit in your method, it’s never good to be too reliant on technology. I had an old machine short circuit a couple years ago, it was a pretty crappy morning.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “20's Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests