Singapore Expats

Blowing smoke up my... you know what

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Blowing smoke up my... you know what

Post by malcontent » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 2:01 pm

For the past two evenings we have experienced smoke wafting into Singapore from the direction of Malaysia with elevated PSI levels.

On the internet and in the news there has been nothing but nonsense, from reports of naturally occurring ozone concentrations to theories about burning vegetation in Singapore itself!

Finally, the first news report that makes any sense came out just minutes ago...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... a-14314000

At least they now admit what I already knew, it’s coming from Malaysia. The next question is whether it’s jungle or trash burning. It smells like trash to me, which probably means a healthy dose of cancer causing dioxin.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Blowing smoke up my... you know what

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 10:17 am

The "hazy" smell started a couple of weeks ago here. I thought it was an anomaly at first, given the time of year, but it's become pretty regular since then, though it waxes and wanes.

It smells more like organic stuff burning/smouldering, leaves, wood, that sort of thing, rather than trash, which in my experience has a more funky smell to it.

We're in the east; it may well be a different elsewhere of course.

By the way, traveling along the highways in Malaysia, I frequently drive by (well, drove by) smoky palm oil plantations, torching the spent trees being one of their preferred ways to reboot the soil. Could be that this is causing the issue.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:10 pm

We noticed the haze smell last night (Hougang).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:28 pm

I live in Bukit Timah, and there’s not too much haze or a bad smell. When I’m in town, I do notice it.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 12:38 pm

It was in the papers yesterday that there is a hot spot in Malaysia that is causing the smoke. So Max has hit it on the head. I guess I'm immune to it as it's never bothered me that much until the NEA posts red levels. Then I find it mildly uncomfortable.. But again, I worked in Washington DC for many years so hydrocarbon/smog are kind of 2nd nature to me. Interesting as bro75 is next to me (Serangoon North) and until I saw this thread last night, I was oblivious to it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 5:24 pm

Those who sleep earlier in the evening probably wouldn’t have noticed. When it does come, it seems to blow in around 11pm to midnight and clears up by morning. The only immediate physical impact is my eyes will burn - my eyes have dried up after 4 decades of contact lens overuse & abuse. x _ x
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 5:45 pm

I can understand the contact problem, but my normal retirement time every night is somewhere between 2:30~3:00am (or later if I get stuck in a darn series on Netflix! Grrr!)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Mar 2021 6:46 pm

Already for a week or so, lots of haze and burnt trash smell each morning until 9-10 or so. Bukit Batok, Hillview area,

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 04 Mar 2021 11:05 pm

Perhaps Malaysian corruption is getting so bad that local officials are now looking the other way when palm oil trees are burned instead of being bulldozed under as required by law?