Singapore Expats

PR Approved 2021

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR Approved 2021

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 05 Aug 2021 7:03 pm

kaygr wrote:
Thu, 05 Aug 2021 4:53 pm
Hi!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I wanted to get your thoughts on my situation. I understand that there are some common patterns around PR approvals but there's no black and white so well aware that I could face rejection.

Dillema: I'm considering a new role which will mean a new EP application in about a month or two. Am I risking rejection on both applications or is it usually just one or the other that might get rejected. Should I pass up on the offer? Its a significantly higher salary and bigger title/responsibility. Would applying for LTVP be a better option over an EP if my PR is rejected?

Profile:
Current status: I'm currently on an EP which is up for renewal in Jan 2022. pending PR application submitted end of May under Spouse scheme

Myself: F, early 30s
Education: BA from a top public uni in US
Work: Marketing Snr Mgr in a large, regional company headquartered in SG
Background: Indian, Malaysian
Length of stay: 4.5 years on EP

Spouse (Sponsor): M, late 30s
Education: Post Grad, Uni in SG
Work: Civil Servant
Background Indian, SC

Married: Nov 2020
PR application: End May 2021
Applied slightly earlier. But, your job change wont affect the application

aakash32017

Post by aakash32017 » Mon, 09 Aug 2021 9:49 pm

During Pr application suggest not to change job that could trigger change in EP

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Aug 2021 11:27 pm

Just because they want to change job, not an issue as they would know if their pass remained the same from the IPA. The IPA doesn't mean you have to take the new job (That's why it's called an "IN PRINCIPLE Approval". Therefore, don't pass up an opportunity but don't give your notice until such time that the IPA is approved with a pass is equal to or better than the previous one. Otherwise, just let it expire or turn down the offer from the new company. No contract is valid here unless the relevant pass as been issued.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

wandering123

Post by wandering123 » Tue, 10 Aug 2021 11:55 am

My upload documents button has disappeared today morning and I found this post when I was trying to search what could be the meaning. Also, I can enter the PR application page again now :/ (earlier it was showing you have a pending application). So after seeing some earlier posts thinking if that means probable rejection :/

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Aug 2021 1:01 pm

You would save yourself a lot of aggravation and worry if you would quit trying to 2nd guess ICA. They are not going to tell you why, and it really does you no good. It is what it is. The possibility of it being two different sets of functions is entirely possible. We already know that the button is only an upload button that has no other mysterious or mystical properties with regard to success or rejection. We've had enough of both on here to verify that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

greentea88

Post by greentea88 » Sun, 05 Sep 2021 11:32 pm

Hi all, I have been a silent reader for quite awhile and it is time to contribute my PR application experience :D

I just got my PR approved on 2 Sep 2021 (the result reflected on 5 Sep), application details as below:-

Ethnicity: Chinese
Nationality: Malaysian
Length of Employment: 1.10 years
Education: Master Degree in Finance & Profesional Cert which related to my current work
PR application: November 2020
Pass Holder: EP
Sector: Finance
Annual salary: 36k during the submission of PR in Nov 2020 (I got promoted in Aug 2021 and salary increase to 48k per annum which I had also updated ICA via email)
Other info: Applied on my own and the button "Submit Requested Button" disappeared on 31 Aug 2021.

Hope this helps! All the best for the rest who waiting for your PR result. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Sep 2021 3:53 pm

All very relevant except the second half of 'Other info:' That was just thrown in as a ringer to keep all the desperate ones breathing hard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WoShiDavid1995

Post by WoShiDavid1995 » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:37 am

I've been a silent lurker for the longest time so I'll just share my part, here's my profile which got approved recently:

Nationality: Indonesian
Education: Bachelor's Degree from NTU in Chemical Engineering with a 3 year Tuition Grant bond
Length of stay in Singapore: For 13+ years since 2008 and took both O and A levels here, the only time I was away for extended periods was from Dec 2013-Aug 2014 because it was the interim between the end of A levels and the start of NTU's semester
Length of employment: 6+ months at time of application (Dec 2020) with current job, was previously employed for 7+ months for my first job (Sept 2018-Apr 2019) and 4+ months for my second job (Oct 2019-Mar 2020) and I was on an LTVP to remain in Singapore when temporarily unemployed to look for a new job
Job title: Chemist
Salary: $3500/month
Work Pass: Employment Pass

Applied on December 5 2020, 'Submit Requested Documents' button disappeared on September 2 2021, status just got changed to approved at midnight at September 12 but backdated to September 9... so 9 months processing time in total and at no point was I contacted by ICA to submit any additional documents

Apparently changing jobs twice (although it was out of my control, that's a different story altogether) after only a few months and only applying with only 6 months of payslips instead of at least 2 years of continuous employment wasn't that much of a roadblock, it seems that studying here and having a Tuition Grant bond obligation gives you a major advantage in getting your PR application approved

WincH+

Post by WincH+ » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 8:10 am

WoShiDavid1995 wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:37 am
I've been a silent lurker for the longest time so I'll just share my part, here's my profile which got approved recently:

Education: Bachelor's Degree from NTU in Chemical Engineering with a 3 year Tuition Grant bond
Length of stay in Singapore: For 13+ years since 2008 and took both O and A levels here, the only time I was away for extended periods was from Dec 2013-Aug 2014 because it was the interim between the end of A levels and the start of NTU's semester
Length of employment: 6+ months at time of application (Dec 2020) with current job, was previously employed for 7+ months for my first job (Sept 2018-Apr 2019) and 4+ months for my second job (Oct-2019-Mar 2020) and I was on an LTVP to remain in Singapore when temporarily unemployed to look for a new job

Applied on December 5 2020, 'Submit Requested Documents' button disappeared on September 2 2021, status just got changed to approved at midnight at September 12 but backdated to September 9... so 9 months processing time in total and at no point was I contacted by ICA to submit any additional documents

Apparently changing jobs twice (although it was out of my control, that's a different story altogether) after only a few months and only applying with only 6 months of payslips instead of at least 2 years of continuous employment wasn't that much of a roadblock, it seems that studying here and having a Tuition Grant bond obligation gives you a major advantage in getting your PR application approved
Congrats, but not an unexpected outcome though ;)

Generally speaking, an PR is almost guaranteed for (1) ethnic Chinese [especially Malaysian], (2) married to SC, or (3) went to local school [e.g., have passed at least one national exam (i.e. PSLE or GCE ‘N’/’O’/’A’ levels)].

And you outright ticked 2 boxes altogether; not mentioning the past reference of your countrymen, whom many of them fled Indonesia to Singapore during the height of its racial riot in 1998, (mostly) chose to naturalise as SC after sucessfully getting their PRs.

WoShiDavid1995

Post by WoShiDavid1995 » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 9:12 am

WincH+ wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 8:10 am
WoShiDavid1995 wrote:

Length of employment: 6+ months at time of application (Dec 2020) with current job, was previously employed for 7+ months for my first job (Sept 2018-Apr 2019) and 4+ months for my second job (Oct-2019-Mar 2020) and I was on an LTVP to remain in Singapore when temporarily unemployed to look for a new job

Congrats, but not an unexpected outcome though ;)

Generally speaking, an PR is almost guaranteed for (1) ethnic Chinese [especially Malaysian], (2) married to SC, or (3) went to local school [e.g., have passed at least one national exam (i.e. PSLE or GCE ‘N’/’O’/’A’ levels)].

And you outright ticked 2 boxes altogether; not mentioning the past reference of your countrymen, whom many of them fled Indonesia to Singapore during the height of its racial riot in 1998, (mostly) chose to naturalise as SC after sucessfully getting their PRs.
(1) only fully applies if they're Malaysian-Chinese because culturally they're pretty much Singaporeans, it only applies to Indonesian-Chinese to a lesser extent because our Chinese heritage has been diluted due to forced assimilation... I guess because Indonesian is almost the same as Malay (One of Singapore's national languages) and we're generally more well-off and educated than the rest of Indonesia, they still look at us somewhat favorably in terms of cultural integration, just not as much as our Malaysian counterparts

(3) is definitely true and I believe is the primary reason I got approved because it is the main proof of cultural integration, pretty much all my Indonesian-Chinese friends who studied here since primary/secondary/JC got their PRs approved within 4-5 months... I'm sure mine took longer because they probably had second thoughts thanks to my job history (I left my first company after 7 months because it defaulted on salary payment, and I left my second company because they let me go due to COVID-19 after 4 months, but ICA doesn't know that so they might have seen me as an indecisive job-hopper)

I was ready for my PR application to be rejected after it was still pending after 5 months, but I guess the cultural integration factor pushed me over the line and I am really glad for that because I was mentally preparing myself to consider the possibility of leaving a country I spent more than half my life in since hardly any employer wants to hire foreigners and I'm not sure if my current employer wants to renew my work pass which expires next May

e.lim

Post by e.lim » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:44 pm

WoShiDavid1995 wrote:

Length of employment: 6+ months at time of application (Dec 2020) with current job, was previously employed for 7+ months for my first job (Sept 2018-Apr 2019) and 4+ months for my second job (Oct 2019-Mar 2020) and I was on an LTVP to remain in Singapore when temporarily unemployed to look for a new job

Hi, glad to hear that and congratulations for you! I just curious, will they ask the proof if you are Chinese-Indonesian?

Thanks.

WoShiDavid1995

Post by WoShiDavid1995 » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:50 pm

e.lim wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:44 pm
WoShiDavid1995 wrote:

Hi, glad to hear that and congratulations for you! I just curious, will they ask the proof if you are Chinese-Indonesian?

Thanks.
For me, they didn't... probably because even though my own surname doesn't sound Chinese after it was forcibly changed due to Indonesia's assimilation policies, my mom and dad still retain a Chinese-sounding surname (For my dad it was Gho, or 吴, which is also part of my Chinese name) and it was reflected in my birth certificate... in addition I took Chinese as my Mother Tongue for O and A levels and I had the certificates to prove it so I suppose that was more than enough evidence that I wasn't pretending to be Chinese to get a better chance of approval

e.lim

Post by e.lim » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:56 pm

WoShiDavid1995 wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:50 pm
e.lim wrote:
WoShiDavid1995 wrote:

Thanks.
For me, they didn't... probably because even though my own surname doesn't sound Chinese after it was forcibly changed due to Indonesia's assimilation policies, my mom and dad still retain a Chinese-sounding surname (For my dad it was Gho, or 吴, which is also part of my Chinese name) and it was reflected in my birth certificate... in addition I took Chinese as my Mother Tongue for O and A levels and I had the certificates to prove it so I suppose that was more than enough evidence that I wasn't pretending to be Chinese to get a better chance of approval
Ah I see, got it. On my case, my dad's name already changed to Indo name and not indicated on my birth certificate. However, I got my dad "name change letter" as proof, but not sure if it is strong enough to proof it my Chinese heritage later on.

Anyway, thanks for your sharing!

WoShiDavid1995

Post by WoShiDavid1995 » Sun, 12 Sep 2021 5:05 pm

e.lim wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:56 pm
WoShiDavid1995 wrote:
Sun, 12 Sep 2021 4:50 pm
e.lim wrote:

Thanks.
Ah I see, got it. On my case, my dad's name already changed to Indo name and not indicated on my birth certificate. However, I got my dad "name change letter" as proof, but not sure if it is strong enough to proof it my Chinese heritage later on.

Anyway, thanks for your sharing!
Worst-case scenario, get your parents' birth certificates, I'm sure your grandparents' names still sound Chinese since they were born before the whole assimilation policy so if ICA asks for proof you'll be ready 😅 Either way Indonesian surnames like 'Wijaya' or 'Gunawan' or 'Halim' and whatnot are clearly Indonesians of Chinese descent anyway so I don't think you have to be too concerned

Bi2k123

PR rejected after 7 months

Post by Bi2k123 » Mon, 13 Sep 2021 11:25 am

Hi,
Just checking, my PR rejected after 7 months, the rejection letter stated please apply if any changes. Any Suggestions? Anyone experienced this before?

Husband PR
Me- S pass ( working in Nus for 8 years)
Children - 1 son studying P2.