Singapore Expats

On an employment pass; is there any legal way to start a business without giving up my employment pass?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
StoltATGM

On an employment pass; is there any legal way to start a business without giving up my employment pass?

Post by StoltATGM » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 3:13 pm

Hi,

I do a rotating shiftwork job which basically means I only have to work 15-days and then I get the other 15-days per month off.

I'd like to utilise my 15-days off and do a side-job in commission-only sales.

A simple google search shows that EP holders can start a business. However, MOM has informed me that I can only work on 1 pass at a time; so I cannot hold more than one job. Either I start a business/work in sales, or I continue my current employment.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have also reached out to some employment lawyers for advice but I found this website on reddit and thought I'd ask here too.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give, thanks!
by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 4:58 am
StoltATGM wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 3:13 pm
Hi,

I do a rotating shiftwork job which basically means I only have to work 15-days and then I get the other 15-days per month off.

A simple google search shows that EP holders can start a business. However, MOM has informed me that I can only work on 1 pass at a time; so I cannot hold more than one job. Either I start a business/work in sales, or I continue my current employment.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have also reached out to some employment lawyers for advice but I found this website on reddit and thought I'd ask here too.

No. You cannot work for two companies on an EP. The single exception to this is that you could work for one company and be appointed to the board of directors of another. But, this excludes your own company.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... rectorship

EP holders can start a business. This means that you can be the shareholder and own the business. But, you cannot be the director because being a director is considered work. You would need to appoint a resident director but still cannot work for the company in any capacity.

Now to complicate things. If your side job in commission only sales is such that

a) You are not providing goods or services in Singapore, ie, you are not selling in Singapore, and,
b) The company you are working for does not provide goods and services in Singapore, and,
c) The company you are working for does not have a physical or legal presence in Singapore, then

You can work for that company without needing a Singapore work permit. Normally, this applies to DP's, and what MoM's take on this might be is unknown to me. But, if your current company gave you explicit permission to work this other job, then MoM might be convinced that you're not violating any regulations by working as noted above.
Go to full post

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: On an employment pass; is there any legal way to start a business without giving up my employment pass?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 4:58 am

StoltATGM wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 3:13 pm
Hi,

No. You cannot work for two companies on an EP. The single exception to this is that you could work for one company and be appointed to the board of directors of another. But, this excludes your own company.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... rectorship

EP holders can start a business. This means that you can be the shareholder and own the business. But, you cannot be the director because being a director is considered work. You would need to appoint a resident director but still cannot work for the company in any capacity.

Now to complicate things. If your side job in commission only sales is such that

a) You are not providing goods or services in Singapore, ie, you are not selling in Singapore, and,
b) The company you are working for does not provide goods and services in Singapore, and,
c) The company you are working for does not have a physical or legal presence in Singapore, then

You can work for that company without needing a Singapore work permit. Normally, this applies to DP's, and what MoM's take on this might be is unknown to me. But, if your current company gave you explicit permission to work this other job, then MoM might be convinced that you're not violating any regulations by working as noted above.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: On an employment pass; is there any legal way to start a business without giving up my employment pass?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 9:59 am

Do it without using an EP. That means it needs to for an offshore company delivering items offshore and not in Singapore. Things like fivver.com should work for this I think.

Tax will be an issue. Technically you should declare the income as other income.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!