Singapore Expats

Working & living in Singapore for the next 5 years despite Corana? - rather yes or no?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ferion

Working & living in Singapore for the next 5 years despite Corana? - rather yes or no?

Post by ferion » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 3:55 pm

Hello everybody,

A few days ago my wife received an offer from her employer to be transferred to Singapore for around 5 years from around July on. The idea sounds very appealing to both of us - despite the current corona-related restrictions.

However, before she goes into negotiations regarding the “package”, the following question arises to which we have not really found any info. Therefore I am trying to find it here.

Our questions: is there any information / assessments from "official" side (i.e. government, press, TV) regarding
a) the time at which the current quarantine restrictions will be lifted.
b) the outlook for the second half of the year and especially for 2022 – should everything be back to normal by then, or can it be expected that there will still be significant restrictions in 2022 (and beyond). If so, in what form (especially with regard to international travel and daily life)

We would appreciate any comment that would help us in our decision-making process

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Working & living in Singapore for the next 5 years despite Corana? - rather yes or no?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 4:22 pm

Singapore cannot give but just a wishlist as the Pandemic is what it is, a pandemic which is world wide. Singapore's position is mostly reactive but in an aggressive way. They do not play-play and to give you an estimate as to when it will be safe for international travel, they had a safe travel bubble to a couple of country that have subsequently be closed due to an uptick in infection in the other countries. We all are, of course, hoping for a loosening up by the 2nd half of 22, but it is anybody's guess as it depends on what is happening with it's major trading partners. Maybe BBCDoc, one of our regulars closely working in this area, has a different prognosis.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Re: Working & living in Singapore for the next 5 years despite Corana? - rather yes or no?

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 7:12 pm

ferion wrote:
Sat, 27 Feb 2021 3:55 pm
Hello everybody,

A few days ago my wife received an offer from her employer to be transferred to Singapore for around 5 years from around July on. The idea sounds very appealing to both of us - despite the current corona-related restrictions.

However, before she goes into negotiations regarding the “package”, the following question arises to which we have not really found any info. Therefore I am trying to find it here.

Our questions: is there any information / assessments from "official" side (i.e. government, press, TV) regarding
a) the time at which the current quarantine restrictions will be lifted.

Probably when the vaccination exercise proves it works.

b) the outlook for the second half of the year and especially for 2022 – should everything be back to normal by then, or can it be expected that there will still be significant restrictions in 2022 (and beyond). If so, in what form (especially with regard to international travel and daily life)

As for the Q1... just imagine the vaccines fail against one of the numerous mutations... Unfortunately we just need to wait and observe.

Bottom line - I would not expect any hard written statements as of what and when. I agree with SMS, the gov handles the crises aggressively meaning it's a sort of overkill in expense of economy and social matters. I would not expect any significant loosening of the restrictions until all the signs tell, the crisis is over.

We would appreciate any comment that would help us in our decision-making process

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 27 Feb 2021 7:55 pm

Singapore has to open up. It is dying day by day. It will open up quite quickly once other nations are under control. Already there are agreements for NZ, Australia, Brunei and some others in place (mostly unilateral as those countries are shut up tighter than a hookers legs before she's paid).

Don't factor this in - factor in that you are moving to a country that has had more dengue deaths than Covid deaths while our neighbours are dying off like flies.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Feb 2021 2:44 pm

There is no way the government will provide an estimate on when restrictions will be fully lifted. This is a pandemic after all, and it is unpredictable. However, take comfort in the fact that singapore is one of the countries that has best dealt with the virus. The percentage of COVID deaths compared to the total number of cases should tell you all you need to know about the governments effectiveness in dealing with this. You’d probably be better off here than elsewhere.

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Thu, 04 Mar 2021 5:09 pm

Do factor in, that Singapore is a tiny, tiny place.

Post-vaccine jab, no way I'd ever pick 5 years continuously in Singapore over pretty much anywhere else in the developed World.
PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 27 Feb 2021 7:55 pm
Singapore has to open up.
I guess "when" is the 64 million dollar question. Who knows.

Will SG go full "Australia/NZ" & close up indefinitely until the rest of the World is at zero infection?

Or will SG react to the pressure of increased mobility in Europe / US when vaccines start making a difference?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 04 Mar 2021 10:13 pm

Australia and NZ are nut cases. They may never properly open again. The flight caps just pushed out to June for Oz.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BigginHill
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by BigginHill » Fri, 05 Mar 2021 11:34 am

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 27 Feb 2021 7:55 pm
Already there are agreements for NZ, Australia, Brunei and some others in place (mostly unilateral as those countries are shut up tighter than a hookers legs before she's paid).
I'll say.

China makes anal swab Covid tests compulsory for foreign arrivals

You just can't make this stuff up.