Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship SC Process Approval Timeline Sharing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Singapore Citizenship SC Process Approval Timeline Sharing

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 13 Aug 2021 5:19 pm

Resilas wrote:
Fri, 13 Aug 2021 4:02 pm
Thank you, singaporeflyer, for your reply.

Good point about being without citizenship.
I heard from my fellow citizens that the renunciation process can take 1-3 months (depending on luck?). Trying to gather all information I can find so that I can plan accordingly.
I'm almost done with the eJourney, just short of giving 1 online feedback.
Estimate how long you need to renounce and then choose a date which is 3-4 days after that for the oath taking. You still can change this date later provided there are empty appointments. Last time 4 years ago, i remember that the appointments could be changed 2-3 times max. Beyond that you cant do it automatically and have to write in to ICA with a valid reason

Resilas

Post by Resilas » Wed, 18 Aug 2021 9:12 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 13 Aug 2021 5:19 pm

Estimate how long you need to renounce and then choose a date which is 3-4 days after that for the oath taking. You still can change this date later provided there are empty appointments. Last time 4 years ago, i remember that the appointments could be changed 2-3 times max. Beyond that you cant do it automatically and have to write in to ICA with a valid reason
Thank you for the tips!

tempotrack

Post by tempotrack » Sat, 02 Oct 2021 8:30 pm

Very informative thread. Thanks 'edusg'.

dan91

Post by dan91 » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 2:00 pm

edusg wrote:
Thu, 25 Feb 2021 4:54 pm
Been looking at this forum for news and updates on Singapore Citizenship SC application outcome timeline and eJourney process.
Now that I got mine approved/completed. Perhaps what I have experienced might be useful for other readers here.

Singapore Citizenship Application

Here it goes:

Applied in Dec 2019 online via ICA website.
All documents submission & payments are done online.
Age early 30s when online application submitted.
Male.
China Chinese.
Income: S$100-S$150K per annum (2017/2018)
Been in Singapore before year 2000.
Bachelor's Degree from one of the Local Uni (NUS/NTU/SMU)
Approved in first half of Feb 2021
EP for 2 years, followed by PR for 2 years, applied for Citizenship.

Singapore Citizenship Approval Notified via Email and on myICA.
Happened that I check myICA and noticed its Approved before seeing the email notification.
Email will only say there's a status change in myICA and you need check via myICA.
There is no physical letter mailed to me by ICA throughout this application/approval process.

On myICA it shows Approved in Principle (AIP) and give you instructions on what to do next.

The eJourney can be done all online without going out of your home, not sure if will remain this way after COVID.
You can start doing eJourney one day after approval.
Completed my eJourney within 7 days, they sent another notification letter on myICA asking you to renounce home citizenship, did mine through the embassy in Singapore.

Once completed eJourney, you can schedule a time-slot via myICA to do the Oath taking, you would need to present the renunciation document when you visit ICA.

After Oath taking they will issue you a temporary paper IC and the actual pink one will be given to you months later + the original Singapore Citizenship Certificate during ceremony in your GRC.

Unlike the earlier posts I have seen, now Passport can be applied in person after Oath taking or next day online, and you will not get it the same day. When applying in person, you drop the completed application form + photo pasted in a box outside ICA Building, that's it.
You need to wait for about a week, unless you can convince the officer with some really legitimate reason why you need it so urgently instead of 7 days later.

Summary:
Time taken for online application to approval: Within 14 months
Time taken after approval + eJourney + Oath taking: within 10 day.

Good luck to all who are waiting for the good news! Things might be a little slower during COVID.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I'm considering taking a career break and do some travelling for 1 year after submitting the online application; and I recalled that I was required to provide a certification of employment after being granted PR AIP.

So, would be great if u could share, AFTER the online application submission, what exactly are the documents/action/status required by the ICA during and up after u get the AIP? E.g. did ICA seek proof of employment/payslips during the application processing period and/or after the AIP was granted?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Nov 2021 6:36 pm

Due to covid there is a very good possibility of ICA requiring proof of employment as so many have lost their jobs during the past two years of covid. Gamble if you must, but remember, if you lose, you might not get another chance as Singapore doesn't really like those who gamble with the golden goose laid at their feet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

edusg

Post by edusg » Tue, 26 Jul 2022 7:32 pm

dan91 wrote:
Sun, 07 Nov 2021 2:00 pm
edusg wrote:
Thu, 25 Feb 2021 4:54 pm
Been looking at this forum for news and updates on Singapore Citizenship SC application outcome timeline and eJourney process.
Now that I got mine approved/completed. Perhaps what I have experienced might be useful for other readers here.

Singapore Citizenship Application

Here it goes:

Applied in Dec 2019 online via ICA website.
All documents submission & payments are done online.
Age early 30s when online application submitted.
Male.
China Chinese.
Income: S$100-S$150K per annum (2017/2018)
Been in Singapore before year 2000.
Bachelor's Degree from one of the Local Uni (NUS/NTU/SMU)
Approved in first half of Feb 2021
EP for 2 years, followed by PR for 2 years, applied for Citizenship.

Singapore Citizenship Approval Notified via Email and on myICA.
Happened that I check myICA and noticed its Approved before seeing the email notification.
Email will only say there's a status change in myICA and you need check via myICA.
There is no physical letter mailed to me by ICA throughout this application/approval process.

On myICA it shows Approved in Principle (AIP) and give you instructions on what to do next.

The eJourney can be done all online without going out of your home, not sure if will remain this way after COVID.
You can start doing eJourney one day after approval.
Completed my eJourney within 7 days, they sent another notification letter on myICA asking you to renounce home citizenship, did mine through the embassy in Singapore.

Once completed eJourney, you can schedule a time-slot via myICA to do the Oath taking, you would need to present the renunciation document when you visit ICA.

After Oath taking they will issue you a temporary paper IC and the actual pink one will be given to you months later + the original Singapore Citizenship Certificate during ceremony in your GRC.

Unlike the earlier posts I have seen, now Passport can be applied in person after Oath taking or next day online, and you will not get it the same day. When applying in person, you drop the completed application form + photo pasted in a box outside ICA Building, that's it.
You need to wait for about a week, unless you can convince the officer with some really legitimate reason why you need it so urgently instead of 7 days later.

Summary:
Time taken for online application to approval: Within 14 months
Time taken after approval + eJourney + Oath taking: within 10 day.

Good luck to all who are waiting for the good news! Things might be a little slower during COVID.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your journey.

I'm considering taking a career break and do some travelling for 1 year after submitting the online application; and I recalled that I was required to provide a certification of employment after being granted PR AIP.

So, would be great if u could share, AFTER the online application submission, what exactly are the documents/action/status required by the ICA during and up after u get the AIP? E.g. did ICA seek proof of employment/payslips during the application processing period and/or after the AIP was granted?

I believe ICA will check with all relevant agencies such as CPFB, MOM, IRAS, SPF, AG, etc, they need to know exactly who they are approving into the country as a new citizen, that's their job as ICA. Typically when you apply for citizenship, you grant them all the necessary access for these.

That being said, they can check these during your application, just before AIP issuance, or perhaps after AIP issuance too. To what extend will a "loss of job" affect your application, I believe only ICA knows the answer and at their discretion.

With the rights to access the above agencies data of yours, they will know your employment status, how much you make, etc. As for my application I was not requested to submit any employment status or related documentations.

My personal opinion is, when applying for citizenship you should adopt the "there's nothing to hide" mentality and let it run its course.

gold.spot
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by gold.spot » Wed, 27 Jul 2022 9:24 am

Documents requested for in SC registration (with reference to the steps outlined by ICA at https://www.ica.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... oadmap.pdf) :

After approval, STEP 2 requires these documents submitted online : a recent passport photo to be uploaded as per guidelines, and $70 paid by card/paynow/eNETS/amex.

After STEP 2, STEP 3 requires these documents submitted in person : renunciation letter OR acknowledgement (varies by country), NRIC, 3 hardcopy passport photos. And $70 in cash/NETS if you didn't pay in electronically in STEP 2.

The exact documentation in STEP 3 may vary on a case by case basis, e.g. if you're <21 yrs old, then your foreign passport; or if your name has changed, then a deed poll / birth cert / marriage cert; or if your address has changed, then a utilities bill etc.

But essentially, the documentation submitted in STEP 1 are usually not asked for again.

kilobytez

Post by kilobytez » Mon, 29 Aug 2022 9:40 am

Hope this video can help a bit on the Singapore Citizenship application process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPH3Nyl1_iY&t=3s

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Aug 2022 1:26 pm

Thank you for posting your vlog on your SGC Journey and congratulations are in order. This is good roadmap if you are a Malaysian (Chinese - Malays and Indians aren't quite as lucky in the vast majority of cases) However your initial step one re: application times are generally only applicable IF your are Malaysian Chinese. As I am sure you have followed this site for a while as a lurker, you will have noted that while the ICA site will state 6 to 12 month, we find that this is usually applicable ONLY to Malaysians. The vast majority, from other countries is generally a minimum of 12 months. They are trying to reduce it, but only time will tell. Again Thanks & Congratulations.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers