Singapore Expats

PR application: Additional Document

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ChristopherM

PR application: Additional Document

Post by ChristopherM » Sun, 21 Feb 2021 1:53 pm

Hi All,

I just received email from ICA requesting additional documents for my PR application. One of them is as follows:

- Documentary proof to show that you are of chinese descent

Is it ok if I send my parents National ID card showing they are Chinese mixed? Cant find my grand parents documents anymore and grand parents passed away already.

Would like to seek you advice and check anyone encountered this.

Thank you very much in advance all.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: PR application: Additional Document

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:54 am

I think you would need to show their birth certificates as well, something that would show that they were certified as Chinese at birth. If you are unsure of what kind of documents to provide, it would probably be best to contact the ICA directly, just to avoid wasting your own time if you end up submitting the wrong documents.

njsnsn

Post by njsnsn » Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:19 am

ChristopherM wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 1:53 pm
Hi All,

I just received email from ICA requesting additional documents for my PR application. One of them is as follows:

Is it ok if I send my parents National ID card showing they are Chinese mixed? Cant find my grand parents documents anymore and grand parents passed away already.

Hi, i was asked the same additional document recently.
- May I know what documents you provided? Were these documents sufficient and acknowledged by ICA?
- Was your application approved?

I did explain that my birth certificate and national ID does not indicate a race but I managed to provide other documents as proof.

gold.spot
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by gold.spot » Mon, 03 Jan 2022 11:48 am

Just for discussion only - I wonder what it is that nudges an officer to ask for proof of Chinese race. Is it the name of the person?

For context, I was not asked for proof. I am not from a country that is known to have even a minority of Chinese people. However, I have a chinese surname and a western first name.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jan 2022 2:44 pm

What nudges them is the fact the application listed ethnicity as Chinese (whole/partially doesn't matter as long as the Chinese link can be documented). This especially so as in Indonesia during the Suharto regime, the Chinese were made to take up Indonesian Names. So by name people wouldn't know if you are Chinese or Indonesian. This especially so if mixed ancestry. Most Indonesian Chinese also know their original Chinese family names as well but can only use their Indonesian names on most documents. Documents like marriage certs, birth certs, family occupancy documents that show the parents names and ethnicities will go a ways to document the ethnicity. The issues in Indonesia with regard to the Chinese is well known throughout ASEAN.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 03 Jan 2022 3:44 pm

gold.spot wrote:
Mon, 03 Jan 2022 11:48 am
Just for discussion only - I wonder what it is that nudges an officer to ask for proof of Chinese race. Is it the name of the person?

For context, I was not asked for proof. I am not from a country that is known to have even a minority of Chinese people. However, I have a chinese surname and a western first name.
Are you from India by any chance? India does have a handful of citizens who are either Chinese or with mixed Chinese ancestry. Do you fall into the 2nd group?

gold.spot
Regular
Regular

Post by gold.spot » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:23 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 03 Jan 2022 3:44 pm
gold.spot wrote:

Are you from India by any chance? India does have a handful of citizens who are either Chinese or with mixed Chinese ancestry. Do you fall into the 2nd group?
Yup that's right. The 1st group. Chinese race, born and raised in India. Sometimes creates intrigue with immigration officers across the world about 30% of the time.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:35 am

gold.spot wrote:
Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:23 am
smoulder wrote:
Mon, 03 Jan 2022 3:44 pm
gold.spot wrote:

Yup that's right. The 1st group. Chinese race, born and raised in India. Sometimes creates intrigue with immigration officers across the world about 30% of the time.
Yea, small community - I had a few classmates in Mumbai who were in the same category.

What does your ID card (EP card?) say? I'm guessing that anyone who holds an Indian passport will just be clubbed into the "Indian" category by the 3rd party agencies that process EPs for companies. What if the person is of Chinese descent, either entirely as in your case or partially? What if they are Anglo Indians in which case they should be Eurasians in the others category as per the Singapore classification?

I guess once your first pass is processed, the race classification sticks unless you are able to prove otherwise in your PR application.

gold.spot
Regular
Regular

Post by gold.spot » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 5:16 pm

My race is 'Chinese' in all my SG documentation. I am no longer an EP holder but it also said 'Chinese'. I have been a PR for a few years now, but I have so far not been asked for documentation to prove my ethnicity.

As a matter of fact, when I received PR and went to complete my formalities, I was asked if I want to include my Chinese name in my IC, and I did. This, also, I did without submitting any documentation. As my processing officer for that day was Malay and couldn't read chinese, I typed it out on his computer, so now my IC states my Chinese name as well.

Now that said, my Birth Cert has my western name as well as chinese name written out as an alias, but its written in English.

So my name in my NRIC in English is <my western name> <my surname>

And my name in my IC in Chinese characters is <mysurname> <my chinese character 1> <my chinese character 2>

I am unsure of how things are processed for mixed race persons.

minor edit : some sentences for clarity

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 06 Jan 2022 7:41 pm

Interesting. For mixed races, they used to follow the race of the father. Nowadays, you have double barrelled races which are in the format primary - secondary or you can just select one primary which could be from either parents side. Example Chinese Indian (my daughter for instance) or Indian Chinese.

My daughter has a Chinese name as well her English name which is distinct from her Chinese name.

Out of curiosity, the birth certificate that you are referring to is from India?

gold.spot
Regular
Regular

Post by gold.spot » Fri, 07 Jan 2022 9:03 am

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 06 Jan 2022 7:41 pm
Out of curiosity, the birth certificate that you are referring to is from India?
Yup. Traditional handwritten birth cert with chop. They don't make them like this anymore haha.

cortadoho

Post by cortadoho » Wed, 12 Oct 2022 9:16 pm

njsnsn wrote:
Sun, 26 Dec 2021 1:19 am
ChristopherM wrote:
Sun, 21 Feb 2021 1:53 pm
Hi All,

Hi, i was asked the same additional document recently.
- May I know what documents you provided? Were these documents sufficient and acknowledged by ICA?
- Was your application approved?

I did explain that my birth certificate and national ID does not indicate a race but I managed to provide other documents as proof.
Can I ask what other documents you were able to provide and if you're able to share the outcome of your application? I don't have being of Chinese descent indicated in my documents and many pre-war documents of my family are not available. I am wondering what would be sufficient enough as proof